MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning fish the French way

susie

Well....almost like the French, as they do eveything in a three hour BWB and don't use pressure canners at all.

Down here in the SW many people can the delicious tuna that comes into the port at St. Jean de Luz. It's packed into jars, sometimes with a slice of lemon under the fish, or a bayleaf and a sprinkle of pepper or even a simple slice of onion, and then canned just like that or the jar is filled with oil, broth, white wine, or tomato sauce.

Sardines are done in the same way, and when packed in oil along with a few flakes of Basque Espelette peppers...Mmmm! I buy them in season during the summer and grill them whole and ungutted on the BBQ and promise myself every year that I'll try canning some BBQed ones....and then we eat them all before I do.

Mackerel is most often canned with lemon, onion, carrot, bay, etc. added and canned in white wine.

I think I must be the only person that buys the inexpensive Pacific salmon, headless and frozen, gutted and scaled, for less than three euros a kilo...and I've tried every flavour combination, every added oil or broth....all good.

Of course, just plain fish, packed into a jar along with a bit of salt and pepper and canned 'naked' is also very good.

No pressure canning? WOW! And folks think I'm a risk taker. No way would I touch fish canned this way. Especially the stuff packed in oil. Do they at least cook it again after opening or do they just eat it right out of the jar?

Unsafe canning practices are not presented as safe in this forum. If someone has something they feel they need to share about canning that does not fall under the guidelines of the USDA, then it can be posted down in the Guerilla Homesteading forum.

I've canned fish many times. It's a 2 1/2 hour process under PRESSURE...a far cry from WB canning.

Susie, you've been here a long time. We've gone around and around and for some reason, you find delight in pushing buttons. These days, I don't have the time for such immature behavior and I can very easily resent the disrespect.

You're not a 'green newbie' by any stretch of the imagination, so how about I help you out and make something very clear. If you continue to operate with this type of disrespect in MY home, then I'll pull your posting priviledges and place you in a position where I'll have to approve every post you make. Now, I'm very busy these days with the farm, so it could take me a day, or two, or a week to get around to feeling up to reviewing your posts like a teacher grades a paper.

In fact, as I write this I'm really starting to feel like I don't have time for this. So, let's make it simple for you AND for me. A mistake or misunderstanding is one thing. Blatency is another. If you feel the need to blatently disrespect what little I've asked of you then perhaps you might want to consider finding somewhere else to play your games.

I'd be more than happy to help you find such a place.

Unsafe canning practices are not presented as safe in this forum. If someone has something they feel they need to share about canning that does not fall under the guidelines of the USDA, then it can be posted down in the Guerilla Homesteading forum.

I've canned fish many times. It's a 2 1/2 hour process under PRESSURE...a far cry from WB canning.

Susie, you've been here a long time. We've gone around and around and for some reason, you find delight in pushing buttons. These days, I don't have the time for such immature behavior and I can very easily resent the disrespect.

You're not a 'green newbie' by any stretch of the imagination, so how about I help you out and make something very clear. If you continue to operate with this type of disrespect in MY home, then I'll pull your posting priviledges and place you in a position where I'll have to approve every post you make. Now, I'm very busy these days with the farm, so it could take me a day, or two, or a week to get around to feeling up to reviewing your posts like a teacher grades a paper.

In fact, as I write this I'm really starting to feel like I don't have time for this. So, let's make it simple for you AND for me. A mistake or misunderstanding is one thing. Blatency is another. If you feel the need to blatently disrespect what little I've asked of you then perhaps you might want to consider finding somewhere else to play your games.

I'd be more than happy to help you find such a place.

I tracked Susi down off of the forum because I could not find her here and I specifically requested a European method for canning sardines in oil. I did not however ask her to post it here.

That being said I do not want someone to get in trouble for something that I asked for. I know what I was asking for, and I know it is not a USDA approved method. I would not recommend that anyone else attempt it. I personally will consider my fish cooked under souis vide. I will keep them refrigerated after processing and eat in a timely manor.

Thanks for the clarification on this Darlene. I honestly find it very difficult to believe that in today's information loaded world some folks could still be so uninformed (to put it politely) that they would can foods in some of the ways described.

Granted that some of the canning guidelines are food quality and convenience oriented rather than safety oriented. But one still needs to know where to draw the line. And today, that knowledge is easy to obtain regardless of the country/culture in question.

Robert check out this link Canning Sardines It is NOT USDA approved but MUCH safer than the above.

Thanks for the clarification on this Darlene. I honestly find it very difficult to believe that in today's information loaded world some folks could still be so uninformed (to put it politely) that they would can foods in some of the ways described.

Granted that some of the canning guidelines are food quality and convenience oriented rather than safety oriented. But one still needs to know where to draw the line. And today, that knowledge is easy to obtain regardless of the country/culture in question.

Robert check out this link Canning Sardines It is NOT USDA approved but MUCH safer than the above.

Thanks for the link Dave. That is an interesting article. I did specifically want the process for European style in olive oil. I want the sardine infused oil as much as the sardines, specifically for drizzling on bread, salad dressings, etc... I realize I could have just poached some smelt in olive oil, but I wanted the old school process.

Robert, please do not try this !! It is not worth risks of botulism.. you know it shows no signs of being in there. No smell, no taste, can't see it, nothing. It can be deadly or paralyze you for life. Is it really worth that to just can some fish ?? I would hope not. This is Mrs. Survival, not risk killing your life site !

Ooh la la! I wasn't suggesting that anyone do fish in a BWB, but simply mentioning how it's done over here....by the way, my Presto book says 100 minutes a pint at eleven pounds pressure.

Which, by the way, I indicated to Robert in an email follow up. I figured everyone here would know that, so I didn't even mention it. I didn't begin the thread for any other reason than to answer Robert's email, thinking it would be far more interesting for everyone if I were to post it on a thread (especially since I was so tickled to be back on line and have someone 'reach out and touch me').

And I DID say that 'illegal' canning methods were to be found downstairs. Y'all don't think that I've forgotten the rules, do you?

Robert, please do not try this !! It is not worth risks of botulism.. you know it shows no signs of being in there. No smell, no taste, can't see it, nothing. It can be deadly or paralyze you for life. Is it really worth that to just can some fish ?? I would hope not. This is Mrs. Survival, not risk killing your life site !

Violet, I do genuinely appreciate your concern. There is no reason to worry. I have no intention of long term storage. I know that they would not be shelf stable. My intentions are to make a pint or 2 at a time to keep under refrigeration and be consumed within a week or so, no longer than I would keep cooked fish.

It just freaks me out that anyone anyWHERE would try to BWB fish. I am so grateful to everyone at this website because I "learned" how to can at a local store teaching that it's safe to can in a pressure cooker...if I hadn't found Mrs. Survival, I would have been feeding my family unsafe and potentially lethal food. It is because everyone at Mrs. S is so conscious of following approved and safe canning protocol that we know we are getting good, safe information on this website. If I had come on here as a newbie and read this post before talking to anyone else regarding SAFE canning practices, I would have thought it was okay to BWB fish and meat. Scary!!!! Perhaps in the future people who are discussing questionable food preservation practices should do so in Guerrilla Homesteading and not on the canning boards. Do you think that might work, Darlene? It just frightens me to think that someone could come on here as green as I was back in '09 and get bad info. I love this website and want it safe and protected! :bighug2:

Whew ! Robert, you really had me worried. Now, personally, I would not suggest that long of a time, still. Just a few days. Same for any fresh food, use within 2 to 3 days. Like they say, after 3 days fish and company both stink !

I am really pleased that TurtleMama has learned so much. I am proud of you ! You are willing to learn to do things properly and not get upset when told something is not safe to do.

You would be so amazed at how many people get MAD at me when I try to keep them from harm or from losing their foods. They sometime get FURIOUS and say the most awful, hateful things not just about the information, but about me as a person. I never understand what information and ME as a person have to do with each other.... I could understand if I said they were stupid or something, but I always try to be kind and try to let the person know I care about them.

So, please, consider this when doing something new, that you would not trust a mechanic to do brain surgery on you, so why would you listen to someone who is not trained in food safety ? I always recommend the Ball Blue book, the So Easy to Preserve, and other tested books or sites , so I know you are getting reliable information.

I like the concept of this site, Mrs. SURVIVAL. Not Mrs. TAKE A RISK. I appreciate Darlene's no nonsense approach to things.

Thanks so much, Darlene !!

Violet, it is so hard for me to imagine anyone being mean to you! Especially when your advice comes from nothing but a desire to help them and keep them safe. Maybe they just don't like to be proven wrong? In any case, know that almost everyone here appreciates your sound advice, and is grateful that you are here to share your knowledge with us. There is nothing I wouldn't do to keep my family safe, including being proven wrong! :D

...and I second your gratitude for Darlene. Thank you for giving us a wonderful place to learn and exchange ideas. I know that it is a risk for you, more so as the nation and world get more uncertain, and I appreciate beyond words that you are willing to take that risk to keep others safe and help them learn how to become more self-sufficient. All you do is vastly appreciated, Darlene.

Ah, thanks, TurtleMama !

On a side note, sort of .... I just got myself a real fancy new stove. It is 5 burners, gas top, electric convection oven. Similar to what I had, only this one is a PROFESSIONAL stove. All stainless steel. Oh, it is a Cadillac of stoves. I like it better than the Wolf one I use at one of the stores I teach at. This baby is going to can like crazy. It is so high powered. Has this great simmer feature to keep lids warm. Oh, I am going to be in Canning Heaven !

I actually liked my other oven better, but the cooktop is better on this one. I figure I use the cooktop part the most, so I got this one. I can deal with the oven issue. However, the racks on the new one has rollers so the racks just glide out easily. I got a DCS by Fisher and Paykal. Same ones they use on America's Test Kitchen shows.

You have to own commercial cookware for it or the others will melt off the handles. I do have great cookware already. I am cooking on all 5 burners !! I think the saying is I am cooking on all 4 burners, but I got one extra one.

This is what I got :

http://www.dcsranges.com/item_name_DCS-Ranges-30-Inch-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Range-By-Fisher-Paykel-RDT-305_path_10246_item_4656.html

Violet, I have the older style (flat control panel- not the tip up) Dacor dual fuel, 6 burner, 48'' double oven dream stove. Love it, love it, love it! I have had all 3 pressure canners going at the same time and that baby handles it with no problem. I have had both of my 33 quart WB canners going together and they are some BIG pots! When we had a big get together here, I have had all 6 burners and both ovens going with no problems. I love my stove.

I tracked Susi down off of the forum because I could not find her here and I specifically requested a European method for canning sardines in oil. I did not however ask her to post it here.

That being said I do not want someone to get in trouble for something that I asked for. I know what I was asking for, and I know it is not a USDA approved method. I would not recommend that anyone else attempt it. I personally will consider my fish cooked under souis vide. I will keep them refrigerated after processing and eat in a timely manor.

Susie is not in trouble because of you. Susie has a long track record at MrsSurvival and has enjoyed pushing buttons and envelopes. I think you've been here long enough to know that my type of response is rare, if ever, but her posts along these lines, in forums I've had many, many discussions with her about, never seems to cease.

She could have very easily emailed you the information or put it down in the G forum in the Edge, like she has in the past, but found some delight in placing it here, where she's been asked over and over again, not to.

She basically set you up, which is very dishonorable in my world.

Ooh la la! I wasn't suggesting that anyone do fish in a BWB, but simply mentioning how it's done over here....by the way, my Presto book says 100 minutes a pint at eleven pounds pressure.

Which, by the way, I indicated to Robert in an email follow up. I figured everyone here would know that, so I didn't even mention it. I didn't begin the thread for any other reason than to answer Robert's email, thinking it would be far more interesting for everyone if I were to post it on a thread (especially since I was so tickled to be back on line and have someone 'reach out and touch me').

And I DID say that 'illegal' canning methods were to be found downstairs. Y'all don't think that I've forgotten the rules, do you?

No, of course you haven't forgotten the rules. In fact, you've never forgotten the "rules".

You just have a history of disrespecting them and playing games.

Let's get honest here already, geez.

Oh, Pigzilla, I am happy you have a Dacor ! So, you do know how faublous they are ! I really feel the oven in the Dacor is superior.

That is nice you are all happy for me. Thank you. It took a long time to decide to buy this. It was not a hurried, impulsive decision. My goal is to be debt free, so trying to decide to do this was hard. Only owe on our home, no other debt at all. I know that many of us here are also really feeling that being debt free is wise.

Part of my thinking is that if/when I need to instruct safe canning in my home, I will have the best tools to do it with. I feel it needs to be durable and reliable. I am not convinced that the USDA will continue to support home food preservation in the future.

So, can I add 2 cents worth about Susie ? If I am out of line, you can delete this..... she has been known to do EXACTLY the same things on various other forums. This is not an isolated incident or even limited to Mrs. Survival. She seems to delight in causing trouble. I feel she is in need of some attention in life and this is her way of trying to attain attention. It is sad. Sad and wrong. She always appears to be innocent....

I could go on, but I won't.

So, if I should be scolded for saying any of this, I will take my chances. I am upset that Susie would keep doing this over and over. Darlene does NOT deserve this at all.

Archived