MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sugar?????

Your right, it use to be five pounds. A lot of things are smaller than they use to be. It is a way for price increase's to be passed on to us without it looking like the price has gone up. They just reduce the size of things and keep the price the same. It's gonna get worse I think.

:wormie2:

John

Your right, it use to be five pounds. A lot of things are smaller than they use to be. It is a way for price increase's to be passed on to us without it looking like the price has gone up. They just reduce the size of things and keep the price the same. It's gonna get worse I think.

:wormie2:

John

Sugar is not the only thing, cans are getting smaller some are now 14oz down from 15.5 oz. Juice that I used to buy in 64oz bottles only comes in 56oz bottles now. Margarine no longer comes in 3lb tubs but something like 42oz tubs. I am waiting for a dozen eggs to be 10 and a gallon of milk to be 3 quarts.

Sugar is not the only thing, cans are getting smaller some are now 14oz down from 15.5 oz. Juice that I used to buy in 64oz bottles only comes in 56oz bottles now. Margarine no longer comes in 3lb tubs but something like 42oz tubs. I am waiting for a dozen eggs to be 10 and a gallon of milk to be 3 quarts.

My chickens are already making that one a reality. My Marans have stopped laying again and one Ameracauna gifted us with a small green egg yesterday. It was the first green egg that we've seen since October!

I noticed that beet sugar had gone to 4# bags about 2 years ago but I just noticed the cane sugar had done it. I'll have to check when we go to Aldi, today. I hadn't noticed them making cans smaller but I know Dannon Yogurt did it a long time ago and Coke has some cases that are 20 cans instead of 24 at some of the grocery stores.

I had been buying sugar in 4# bags for a long time. But, it was the store brand at some small stores. The name brand still came in 5# bags. It just depends on the brand I guess and the store. What I really liked was that around Thanksgiving I could buy it for $1 per bag of 4#. Well, now I am lucky to find it for $1.50 per bag on sale. Of course, I stock up then.

I had been buying sugar in 4# bags for a long time. But, it was the store brand at some small stores. The name brand still came in 5# bags. It just depends on the brand I guess and the store. What I really liked was that around Thanksgiving I could buy it for $1 per bag of 4#. Well, now I am lucky to find it for $1.50 per bag on sale. Of course, I stock up then.

$1.50?! Really? I haven't seen sugar on sale like that for years. When it goes on sale for $2.99 it flies off the shelves here.

Yep I've noticed that too. Another one is sodas. I don't buy them anymore except as a rare treat to myself but I noticed especially in the convenience stores they have bottles (I think 16oz?) for .99, the regular size bottles are 1.39-1.49 or so. It's crazy. I did notice some of the canned goods are changing too. Those cans of diced or stewed tomatoes use to be the 15 oz cans and I have some I just got that are 14.5.

I need to do a new price hunt with a price book or such. I did that forever ago and it was really helping with the grocery budget but it needs to be redone. I know my shopping trip just before this last one I went grocery shopping I picked up some cans of sweet peas for about .50 each. It was that one brand and all the others were .80 or so. Really? Who would buy the same thing at almost twice the price? If I hadn't looked I would've missed it. I noticed too that the Dollar General seemed to have better prices on canned goods unless they are on sale. I need to redo a price book and check prices.

I haven't updated my price spreadsheet in a long time...I do keep all of my grocery receipts though. That helps me to track some of the prices. For whatever reason, I have always been pretty good at remembering what I paid for a certain item. Now, the prices are rising so quickly that nothing is ever the same price when you go back to get it. It is making it so that I can no longer "trust" my memory on items.

You're right martianchick. I used to know my prices and could tell when things varied a penny or two. There's no way to keep up anymore unless I write it down or save my receipts. A whole different ballgame than it used to be.

I just got back from Aldi's and I did buy a bag of sugar. $2.89 for a 5lb bag. I wanted to moan and cry about it but at least I now have enough to get us through the next year. Of course, I will have to keep buying all of the things that we use (hopefully on sale) in order to replace. I'm used to applying the concept of dollar cost averaging to investing in the stock market. Now, it becomes integral to being able to afford groceries.

If we were to just stop buying things like sugar, we would eventually run out. But if we dollar cost average by buying it periodically and at a good price, then maybe the hit won't be so bad to the wallet.

I just got back from Aldi's and I did buy a bag of sugar. $2.89 for a 5lb bag. I wanted to moan and cry about it but at least I now have enough to get us through the next year. Of course, I will have to keep buying all of the things that we use (hopefully on sale) in order to replace. I'm used to applying the concept of dollar cost averaging to investing in the stock market. Now, it becomes integral to being able to afford groceries.

If we were to just stop buying things like sugar, we would eventually run out. But if we dollar cost average by buying it periodically and at a good price, then maybe the hit won't be so bad to the wallet.

I paid $2.49 for a 5# bag at Aldi today (picked up 20#). $1.29 for a 2# bag of pinto beans.

Archived