MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone have good egg-whites-only recipes?

About once a month, DH makes a big batch of cream puffs, all from scratch. Sometimes he whips up a big pan of vanilla pudding. While all this is very yummy, and those we share with appreciate the goodies, we are usually left with a sizable bowl of egg whites. I'd really like to do something constructive with them...mostly scrambling them and giving it to the stray cat in the backyard and the chickens. Scrambled egg whites just don't have an attraction for us, no matter how much I spruce them up.

And meringue pies get a little old after a while.

So, if anyone has a recipe/idea to share, I'd really appreciate it!

:feedme:

Meringue cookies

2 egg whites

1 pinch salt

1 pinch cream of tartar

1/2 cup white sugar

optional: miniature M&Ms

Note: if you have a small oven, or only one rack, read whole recipe and think about how to rework it for your situation *before* you get frustrated.

Beat whites until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar as the whites go stiff and glossy.

Line two large or three medium-sized biscuit pans or cookie sheets with foil or parchment. (Foil is cheaper; parchment is easier to peel off and not as nasty if you bite down on a stray bit.) Put trios or quartets of M&Ms evenly spaced, a cookie diameter apart, across the surface of the first pan. Spoon a mouthful-sized blob of meringue on top of each set of candies. When you get a feel for the spacing, arrange the rest of the candies and blob the rest of the meringue atop them. Try for about 18 cookies per larger sheet or 12 cookies per medium-sized pan.

Bake for 1.5-2 hrs at 225. Cool and eat or pack away in an airtight container. They go soft soon after cooling out of the oven.

Some recipes suggest turning off the oven at the 1.5 hour mark and leaving the cookies in there all night without opening the door. When I did that, mine were tan-colored and irregularly shaped, but tasted okay.

Or you can freeze them until you have a dozen, and then make angel food cake.

Or make a Pavlova. My Pavlovas haven't turned out right, but yours might.

THANKS!! That's a good start...I'm saving any info to a Word doc and filing carefully!

As we're warming up quickly here in AZ, not sure I want to have the oven on for that length of time...but we do have a couple of cool days coming up...hmmmm.

Mom’s white frosting

2 egg whites beat to peaks

¾ cup white karo

Dash salt

½ tsp vanilla

2 TBSP sugar

Beat to stiff

this is a great all around cake icing!!!

A lower fat carrot cake recipe that uses egg whites only, pineapple and pre-made plum filling.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Cakes-394/Lower-Fat-Carrot-Cake-1520.aspx

Asparagus & Parmesan Frittata - Light

Recipe for a lower fat Asparagus & Parmesan Frittata - Uses egg whites only with asparagus, onions and low-fat Jack or Swiss cheese.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Eggs-537/Asparagus--Parmesan-Frittata--Light-197.aspx

Recipes To Use Up Leftover Egg Whites

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/09/recipes-to-use/

Try some of these sites... Have fun with your egg whites. BTW you can freeze egg whites to save for when you need to delay making some of these goodies.

Archived