MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Ham Yesterday

MrsClark

Well yesterday I canned ham! I am so excited about it. It was pretty easy. I wish I had had a bigger ham though! I only got 4 pints out of it.

I sure hope I did it right, it looks darker in color than I expected.....

Be prepared... ham doesn't usually have the same kind of flavor after canning. It won't taste like a ham steak! ;)

But it'll be nutritious and protein for a good meal.

Be prepared... ham doesn't usually have the same kind of flavor after canning. It won't taste like a ham steak! ;)

But it'll be nutritious and protein for a good meal.

I would likely add it to beans and rice, something like that. Would that taste ok?

Now you have me worried about the flavor!!

The key is to try it before you can lots and lots of it, only to find you don't like it. It's perfectly fine meat, but some people expect ham to always taste like *ham*.

I imagine the canned hams have flavor enhancers/additions in them. :shrug:

Don't worry, just try it. You may find you also want to add in bacon or another smoked meat to enhance the flavor in some dishes.

:bighug2:

The key is to try it before you can lots and lots of it, only to find you don't like it. It's perfectly fine meat, but some people expect ham to always taste like *ham*.

I imagine the canned hams have flavor enhancers/additions in them. :shrug:

Don't worry, just try it. You may find you also want to add in bacon or another smoked meat to enhance the flavor in some dishes.

:bighug2:

Well, I figure, in SHTF kind of situation, we are just going to be happy to eat!! LOL! But I will open a can to test next week. Thanks for the warning!

I don't can ham anymore, it just wasn't worth it, taste wise. However, I do can it in Beans & Ham and it is fine. Don't know why we don't like it by itself. One time I used it in some scalloped potatoes and it was passable, but won't fix it again, short of "have to".

I went ahead and made some soup with it today. Kidney beans, diced potatoes, squash, ham. It was actually really good! A little chewy - er than normal ham, but certainly edible. DH came home and tasted it and asked me to make him some next week to take for lunch.

I was trying to think of what else I could make with it other than soup..... rice with ham and pineapple came to mind, thanks for the scalloped potatoes suggestion.

What else?

Today I saute'd some previously frozen ham ( but canned would work too) and onions and mixed with yellow rice and peas. That worked great. I use it a lot in burritos. And with beans of course. Now I want to can a ham if I can find it without fillers!

Today I saute'd some previously frozen ham ( but canned would work too) and onions and mixed with yellow rice and peas. That worked great. I use it a lot in burritos. And with beans of course. Now I want to can a ham if I can find it without fillers!

Great idea! I was just going to learn how to make tortillas too! I just bought a tortilla pan.

Archived