MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just when you thought it was safe to use your pressure cooker...

Vic303

Ok, in summary of the news article linked below. An elderly woman was using her pressure cooker when it fell to the floor, exploded and severed her leg below the knee. She lived due to the quick thinking on the part of a family member who applied a tourniquet.

Ouch...to say nothing of the scalding burns she likely also received...poor lady!

http://www.local10.c...778/detail.html

I would expect it was a very old pressure cooker without the safety features incorporated into the newer ones. I can't see that happening with the newer ones. Still wouldn't effect my use of mine.

I was actually considering buying a pressure cooker to can. I have an electric pressure cooker but it can't be used for canning. Are they really that dangerous? This worries me!

Remember there's a difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner. I've only been canning for a couple of years so I'm a novice. (And if I can do it anybody can!) But, I really believe they're very safe if you follow all the safety precautions...just as with any appliance.

Not dangerous, but a "cooker" is just designed for food and to be heated and cooled quickly. A pressure canner, usually larger, is designed for processing jars with a slower heat built up and cool down. A "cooker" should never be used as a canner, A pressure cooker usually has a long handle like a cooking pan.

• 4 weeks later...

While it sure is regrettable that it happened, I'd say that's a totally freak accident. Kind of like running over yourself with your own car. It makes news because it's highly unusual.

Millions of people can safely every year. Enjoy your canner, and use good judgment. You'll be fine.

Archived