MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Leg cramps

gofish

I have been getting painful leg cramps at night for the last 3 -4 weeks. Not just in the back of the calf but all over the leg. I know how to strech out the cramps in the calf . The leg that is the worse is swelling a lot druing the day.

Any ideas? I don't want to go the the doctor unless I have to.

I was told to use magnesium, which did help. The problem is that to get enough magnesium to deal with the cramps, I ended up with borderline diarrhea, :sEm_blush: which led to haemeroids.

so ditched the magnesium, and got cramps back ... :sad-smiley-012:

then I read that 2 teaspoons of honey morning and night would help - yes!!!! :sEm_blush: and the other side effect is gone too :sEm_blush:

Potassium shortages can cause leg cramps. Irish potatoes (skin-on), any kind of dry beans, black eyed peas, chard/beet green, spinach, dried apricots, bananas, and winter squash are really good sources of potassium.

DH swears by Tonic Water - about 4 oz in the morning and again at night. It helps me a little too, but I get better results with about a quart of Gatorade with 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Tastes better if cold. Living in sunny AZ, the extra salt doesn't hurt either. Since gatorade usually makes my bladder fill frequently, I'll drink this around 7pm and hopefully, by the time I'm ready to hit the sack I've finished with the bathroom breaks!

I tried the magnesium (Epsom salt) too, but after only two doses I was done with that theory! Sure cleaned the 'pipes' though! :whistling::Blushing:

Archived