MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

first grandbaby on its way

carr

:darlenedance: after 3 1/2 years of heartbreak and waiting, DD and DSIL are expecting their first child ... he/she will be the first grandchild on both sides. We are all elated, and now we're doing the grandma name dance!!! lol ...

I am enjoying hearing what my friends are called and how those names came about ... so it made me wonder ...

what are your favorite grandparent names and why??

My top picks so far are CiCi, Grammy, Gigi (DD#1's favorite, DD#2 doesn't like), G-ma, Gram or Gran, Nonna and Nana (which was my Mama's name). DH is leaning toward Papa or Pop. Grammy and Pops has a nice ring to it ... but we're just not sure. We have plenty of time to decide ... but I'm having fun doing the research in the meantime!!!

Thank you Lord, for our blessing!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

My cousin agonized on what her first grandchild would call her. She kept going back and forth, back and forth. She finally desided on grandma. While trying to get her D-GD to say grandma it came out E-maw. Fifteen years later she is still called E-maw. My M-I-L did the same thing. Grandma came out gah-maw and it stuck.

When I tried to get my son to say mother it kept coming out 'mailer' I was called that by family and friends for quite a few years.

Choose what you will but they may have other ideas that you will love even more. :wub:

Carr, congratulations! Hope everything goes well for mother and child. Please keep us updated cos I loooooooooooooove babies.

Becca, Boppa sounds a lot like Bonpa. That's Belgian or North-French for grandfather. Could your family Boppa stem from that?

thank you all ... I'm sure I'll be talking about it till due date and well beyond!!! lol ... we've thought about letting the baby decide, but we're big on nicknames in our family .. everyone has at least one, and their's a BUNCH of us ... so the hunt is part of the fun. And when a baby renames us, we're good with that too. We have several cousins, aunts, etc. that were "dubbed" something by a newly speaking baby ... my own two DD garbled words to come up with my nicknames for them that I use to this day ... they are special between us, no one else uses them with any regularity.

we're just full of joy and loving the process!! thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!!!!!!

We're going to be first time grandparents the end of Jan/beginning of Feb ourselves. (due date is Jan 28th but we know how those go) My husband will be "just plain" Grandpa. His grandparants were Grandma and Grandpa B or Grandma and Grandpa G depending on their last name. My grandparents were Grammy and Grandaddy and Grammy Lee and Popa Hoke. On my Mom's side of the family Lee is the middle name passed down for girls and our grand daughter to be is no exception. She'll be Jaimie Lee. Anyway, we lost my Grammy Lee last April and with my Mom and Aunt's blessing I will be taking on her moniker and will be Grammy Lee. I have no idea what Jason's parents will be called.

Dean's (My husband) parents are Grandmom and Grandpop to our kids and my parents are Nana and Gramps.

Congratulations!!!!!!

We're going to be first time grandparents the end of Jan/beginning of Feb ourselves. (due date is Jan 28th but we know how those go) My husband will be "just plain" Grandpa. His grandparants were Grandma and Grandpa B or Grandma and Grandpa G depending on their last name. My grandparents were Grammy and Grandaddy and Grammy Lee and Popa Hoke. On my Mom's side of the family Lee is the middle name passed down for girls and our grand daughter to be is no exception. She'll be Jaimie Lee. Anyway, we lost my Grammy Lee last April and with my Mom and Aunt's blessing I will be taking on her moniker and will be Grammy Lee. I have no idea what Jason's parents will be called.

Dean's (My husband) parents are Grandmom and Grandpop to our kids and my parents are Nana and Gramps.

Lee is a common middle name in my family too. I have, I think, six cousins with Lee as a middle name, an uncle and my father with Lee as a middle name and my grandmother with Lee as a middle name too, whew.

And of course my middle name is Lee. I was named for my grandmother both first and middle name. Last name too come to think of it before I married.

I was named for both of my grandmothers as well! Carrie Lee, much better than Etta Bell. :sHa_sarcasticlol: As far back as I know the lineage from memory it is Rebecca Lee, Emma Lee, Etta Lee, Sandra Lee, Carrie Lee, Amanda Lee, and soon to be Jaimie Lee.

• 1 month later...

Wow ... I've been so busy I didn't realize how long it has been since I've posted!!!! It's official ... It's a girl!!! She's going to be a loving joy and we are all delighted ... due mid April!!!

Archived