MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating sweet potatoes

sewandsew

Hi everyone. I'm from south Alabama. New to dehydrating. And also new here. Still trying to find my way around. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I plan on dehyrating some sweet potatoes. Appreciate any help in telling me how. I was also wondering if anyone canned butter in jars? Watched it on youtube but not sure how long it would last or is it safe. Thanks.

Welcome, Sewandsew! Drop by the front porch and introduce yourself for a proper welcome! :welcome4:

I've tried recipes for drying raw sweet potato. Between the hard slicing/shredding and the gummy buildup, I hated it. Drying cooked sweet potato works pretty well. Sometimes I put cinnamon on them and sometimes I put chili powder on them. So far I've only used the dried potato "chips" for brown bag lunches.

Welcome to MrsS, Sew&Sew. Cute name!

Sweet potatoes is one I haven't tried. Ambergris's idea of cooking first sounds interesting and easier. Peeling sweet potaotes isn't the easiest in quantity.

I have two reference books for dehydrating...so this isn't personal experience:

1) Also pre-cooked....then mash adding potato water or half orange juice and half pineapple juice to make the consistency of fruit leather. Spread plastic wrap or parchment paper on the trays. Use 1 1/2 to 2 cups per tray [assuming the standard square trays, I'd guess] spread mixture 1/4" thick. Dry approx 12-16 hrs....leathery, not hard.

To reconsitute to mashed sweet potatoes, pour 1 c. hot water over 1 c. dried sweet potatoes. Let set 1 hr or overnight. Season, heat, serve. Makes approx. 1 cup.

The second book has a notation that if dried sweet potatoes are stored longer than 1-2 months at room temperature, they develop an undesireable flavor. Keep cool and dry. Freezer is even better.

MtRider :yum3: Sweet Potato Pie!!!!

OK adding that to my list of things to try in my machine.

Is the recipe for canned sweet potatoes in the blue book?

to lazy to go into other room and find it :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Yep it's in there.

Canned Sweet Potatoes

2-3 pounds of Sweet Potatoes per quart

Water

Wash sweet potatoes; drain. Boil or steam potatoes until peel can be easily removed. Peel potatoes and cut into quarters. Pack hot potatoes into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Ladle boiling water, medium or light syrup over potatoes, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 5 minutes, quarts 1 hour 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a pressure canner.

Light Syrup;

2 1/4 Cups Sugar plus 5 1/4 Cups Water = 6 1/2 Cups

Medium Syrup;

3 1/4 Cups Sugar plus 5 Cups Water = 7 Cups

Archived