MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Storage Recipes

Here we go!!! :) Starting out with things to do with powdered milk... :)

"Whole" Milk (using nonfat powdered milk)

1 cup water

1/3 cup powdered milk

"Evaporated" Milk (using nonfat powdered milk)

1 cup water

2/3 cup powdered milk

Whipped Evaporated Milk(makes 3 cups)

1 cup evaporated milk (as above)

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Thoroughly chill evaporated milk by placing it in freezer until slushy. Add lemon juice and whip until

stiff. Sweeted with 2-4 Tbsp. sugar, and flavor as desired (vanilla works great!)

Condensed Milk

1/2 cup hot water

1 cup sugar

1 cup powdered milk

Blend thoroughly in blender (or for a long time with a hand beater). Can be stored in fridge or frozen.

Buttermilk or Sour Milk1 cup water

1/3 cup powdered milk

1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice

"Drinkable" Powdered MilkTo improve the flavor of powdered milk, mix it half and half with whole or 2% milk. Another suggestion

would be to try adding a little vanilla or sugar to enhance the flavor. Let it chill several hours or overnight before serving.

"Eagle Brand" Sweetened Condensed Milk1 cup hot water

2 cups sugar

4 cups powdered milk

1/4 cup butter

Blend very well in blender. May be stored in the fridge or frozen.

Whipped Topping6 Tbsp. instant dry milk (or 3 1/2 non-instant dry milk)

1 cup boiling water

2 tsp. unflavored gelatin

2 tbsp. cold water

2-4 Tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Dissolve the milk in the cup of water and scald. Soak the gelatin in cold water. Combine the scalded milk,

dissolved gelatin and sugar. Stir and chill in the fridge until it jells. Now beat the mixture until it acquires the

consistency of whipped cream. Add the vanilla and whip again.

Buttermilk1 cup non instant (or 1 3/4 cup instant) dry milk

3 cups slightly warm water

1/2 cup commercial or previously made buttermilk

Shake or beat until blended. Cover and allow to stand at room temperature until clabbered. 6-12 hours.

Refrigerate after clabbering. Makes 1 qt. Note: buttermilk will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. It may be

frozen. It will be necessary to use a fresh start of buttermilk occasionally.

Orange Banana Milk (Serves 4)

1 (6 oz) can frozen orange juice concentrate

1 medium banana (may use rehydrated freeze dried or dehydrated banana)

3 cups ice water

1/2 cup milk (3 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk to 1/2 cup water)

1 Tbsp. sugar or honey

Put in blender and blend until foamy. Try this nutritious drink for breakfast or a great summer snack.

Orange Julius(makes 3 six-ounce servings)

2 cups orange juice

2 Tbsp. sugar

1/2 cup dry milk powder

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup crushed ice

Put all ingredients in blender until ice is totally crushed and drink is smooth

Grape Milk

2 cups water

1 cup fluid milk

1 cup nonfat dry milk powder

2 1/4 cups grape juice

(serves 6)

Combine part of the water with nonfat dry milk powder to make a smooth paste. Blend in rest of water, grape juice, and milk. Chill.

Eggnog(makes about 3 cups)

Combine in blender or large bowl with hand beater

3 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

2 cups water

1/2 cup non-instant dry milk powder or a shy cup of instant milk powder

1 Tbsp. rum flavoring

Nutmeg to taste

Beat or blend until foamy. Chill before serving. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

(SALMONELLA ALERT! This is NOT a "safe" recipe -- the eggs are not cooked. To make safe, use

pasturized eggs or perhaps a pasteurized egg substitute.)

Tropical Shake1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, with juice -- don't drain

1 medium banana

1 cup skim milk

1 cup orange juice

Crushed ice

Chill all ingredients thoroughly. Blend undrained pineapple for 2 minutes. Add banana and blend

until smooth. Blend in milk, then orange juice. Pour over ice.

Cocoa -- Chocolate Milk1 cup dry hot cocoa mix

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup sugar

4 cups dry milk

Combine ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

(To Use: For every cup of cocoa or chocolate milk desired, use 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup water. Combine

part of the water with the mix to make a smooth paste. Add remaining water and blend well. Heat for

cocoa or chill for chocolate milk. Increase ingredients for each serving desired.)

Cocoa Mix (Bulk Amount)

15 cups instant powdered milk

1 cup cocoa

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp. salt

Makes enough for 10 quarts or 40 1-cup servings.

(TO USE THE MIX, add 1/2 cup of mix to 1 cup hot water for a warm drink or ice water for

chocolate mix)

Fruit Smoothies (A good way to use canned fruit)

(serves 4)

2 cups bottled or canned fruit with juice

1-2 drops almond flavoring or 1 Tbsp. lemon juice

3/4 cup nonfat powdered milk (to make the milk, use 4 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk to 3/4 cup water)

Sugar to taste

Put ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add 1/2 tray of ice cubes and blend until smooth.

(use almond flavoring with cherries or large stone fruits, lemon juice with berries)

Rich Cocoa Mix(makes enough for 8 quarts)

10 2/3 cups instant dry milk

1 (6 oz) jar instant coffee creamer

1 pound can instant chocolate

1/2 cup powdered sugar

(Note: 10 cups plus 2/3 cup, not ten 2/3 cups of instant dry milk is what this recipe is calling for). Mix well.

Keep in covered, air tight container.

(TO USE, mix 1/2 cup cocoa mix with 1 cup hot water)

Whoooeee... gonna be a good thread! :thumbs:

I've used that last cocoa recipe for years. Made it up and put into decorated containers for Christmas gifts too. One thing I do, cuz I have plenty of milk, is to make up nearly a cup, then cool it slightly by adding cold milk. [non-coffee drinker so I can't drink it so hot!] Yummy and rich. :yum3:

Now...if we are Post Hoooey...what substitutes for the blender for the smoothies? Squeezo device (canning)? A mortar/pestle (sp?) ? Run thru a grinder (NOT a grinder with a stone..metal and washable only!)? They DO make a sturdy, hand-cranked blender but....it's outta my price choice.

MtRider :cheer:

They make shakers with a little ball that kind of looks like a cat toy for $5-10 depending on the brand name. They also make little miniture hand-held battery operated whisk. Most health food stores carry the shakers near the protein drink mixes and sometimes the whisk. I think I've seen the whisk at some of the grocery and discount stores.

But those are for mixing powders, etc. They'd be good to mix the milk powder in most of these recipes.

But I'm thinking of the canned fruit in the smoothies. :P Like a half a peach in a can.... *GLURG* :blink:

:D

MtRider [....potato ricer, pastry cutter, ..... :shrug: ]

No blender? You'd have to use a food mill. Like the smoosher used to make applesauce....

Seems a lot of work for one drink, though.

@ you're right wouldn't work with actual fruit. :/ the food mill sounds like a good idea or maybe a mortar and pestle or give the fruit a few good whacks with a meat mallet until its mush and mix it in by hand.

Basic Yogurt

2 c. warm water [100 degrees F ]

1 c. non-instant powdered milk

2 TBS yogurt starter [unflavored yogurt from store OR left from your last batch OR the dried granular starter]

Blend water and powdered milk [ using a blender, handmixer, hand-crank egg beater, shaker-blender container...] until smooth. Add yogurt starter and blend a bit more. Just be sure all the lumps are out! Pour into jars or glasses.

1) Place neck-deep in pan of warm water [100-110 degrees] and insulate to keep warm.

OR

2) Use yogurt maker or dehydrator

****DO NOT JIGGLE YOGURT ONCE IT HAS BEGUN SETTING UP!

Check after 3-4 hrs to see if it's set and firm. If not, check every 20 minutes.

================================================

Yogurt with fresh, raw milk --I use this one with my goat milk! :thumbs:

1 qt. fresh, raw milk

1/2 c. non-instant powdered milk (to thicken a bit more)

2 TBS yogurt starter [see above]

-Boil (180 degrees F ) in pan (double boiler works well!!!) for five seconds. [This is pasteurizing...to make sure the microbes you grow in the milk are ONLY the ones you intend to grow in the milk!]

- Cool to 110 degrees. [i drop temperature quickly by placing pot in a large bowl of ice water.]

-Stir in powdered milk.

-Thoroughly mix yogurt starter with a little warm milk in a small bowl, then add to the rest of the milk. Stir well.

-Using canning funnel, pour mixture into jars. (I use 2 pts or 1 qt)

--See above for methods of setting yogurt.

Keeps in refrigerator approx one week (or more). Less in a cooler.

===========================================================================

Cottage Cheese from powdered milk:

Can be made from any milk - fresh [whole/skim] or powdered. Full of protein and calcium.

1 rennet tablet [or Junket tablet..available in grocery near pudding usually]

1 gal. milk [rehydrated from powder or fresh]

1 pt. buttermilk or yogurt

-Dissolve rennet tablet in warm water

-Pour milk into large heavy pot and heat to 90 degrees F.

-Add buttermilk or yogurt, stirring to mix. Then add dissolved rennet. Cover pot and leave overnight in a warm place.

-Next day, a gelatinous, almost solid mass, like firm yogurt, has formed in the pot. This is the curd. With a silver knife, cut through this curd to break it into small pieces.

-Set the bowl with the curd into a pan of warm water and bring the curd up to 110 degrees F. Shake the bowl gently while it is being heated to help distribute the heat more evenly throughout the curd.

-When the curd temperature reaches 110 degrees, turn off the heat, leaving the cheese bowl in the water for about 30 minutes. Then pour the cheese into a cloth bag or several layers of cheesecloth and hang it up to drain.

-When the curds have drained, mash the cheese with a fork, work in a little sweet or sour cream if you used skim milk, or moisten it with a little yogurt if you don't want the extra fat. You now have Basic Cottage Cheese.

....exerpt from Making the Best of Basics by James Talmage Stevens [a book I HIGHLY recommend!!! ]

There are other methods too...but I need my dairy reference book back from dear friend first...

MtRider [....ack, tired. More later.... :wacko: ]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived