MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Purple Ruffled basil

OK, Somebody had giving us (at the Greenhouse) 6 plants of this type of basil.

I loved it, as it was very 'bushy' and very pretty (purple) small leaves. AND a GREAT taste too!

So I was hoping to save seeds from it as it also didn't bolt like my other basil.

I mean it NEVER bolted! So I didn't get any seeds to save. Kept on a going until the frost got it!

So, anybody out there know a source for some seed? or do you have any we can swap with something I have?

:AmishMichael2:

Grows like crazy in North Mississippi. It is Dark Opal Basil. Never a problem with it flowering here. Loves heat. Spreads extemely well. Baker Seed Co. (rareseeds.com) sells seeds(I got mine by pulling some up from my friend's gravel driveway). Use it like regular basil except that it is milder. I have seen it used on cooking shows in herbal teas and some salads.

I might come back on its own. I didn't realize how hardy it is until mine were under water for a couple of weeks. When the water receded everything looked dead. I just left it all because after working so hard to get it out I didnt want to deal with it. The weeds took over and when they started dying off all 3 of the basils had come back just as pretty and full as before the flood.

I grow it each year, but as Michael said... It doesn't seem to bolt! I usually buy a couple of plants at the farmers market from a Mennonite family every year. The ruffled kind is different from the dark opal in appearance, though it tastes about the same... I have seeds for that and grow some every year. Come to think of it...that one doesn't seem to bolt either! I've been working out of the same packet of seeds for 3 years or more. My basil never seems to come back...This year, I meant to dig up a few plants so that I could bring them inside and forgot...The first frost got them.

Michael- If you'd like some dark opal basil seed, send me a PM and I'll get it out to you. There is still a lot of seed in this packet.

This sounds alot nicer than regular standard basil which I consider too strong in flavor for using much. I hope I can remember to buy the right type of seeds when the time comes to order some. :whistling:

.... and the leaves are very small which is good if you want them insalads or sauce but no it you are having a snack! I love to just slice a tomato, add a slice of mozearella cheese, and then put a basil leave on top and toast. MAN that is good!

for me, seeing we save a lot of seeds we use to order 1 pack of just purple Ruffled Basil will not work for us as the shipping will be high for just 1 item?

Thanks for all the feedback on this - Just hope I can find the plants somewhere next spring?

:AmishMichael2:

This sounds alot nicer than regular standard basil which I consider too strong in flavor for using much. I hope I can remember to buy the right type of seeds when the time comes to order some. :whistling:

If you'd like to try the Purple Dark Opal basil, send me a pm, Arby. I have enough to share with you!

Archived