MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Friends... I found some!!!

themartianchick

Remember my post about the nasty, pale-yolked eggs from a seller at the farmer's market?

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44475&st=0&p=368741&hl=+pale%20+eggs&fromsearch=1entry368741

Well, we went back to the market the weekend before Thanksgiving and found a seller with a really long line. She sells all sorts of meat, eggs and knitted wear. Her eggs have been absolutely wonderful and we are so pleased. In that same thread, I posted that I lost all but one chicken to a raccoon. Well, I've been looking for a chicken friend or two for my lonely chicken girl ever since. The few times that I thought that I had a good chance of finding some on Craigslist, it always fell through. This morning, an idea popped into my head... I decided to call our new egg provider to ask if she had any hens that she was willing to part with. It turns out that she has a couple of production reds that are just coming out of a moult. I know that I won't get many eggs out of them, but I was really getting far too many out of 9 hens anyway. We just have to make arrangements to pick them up. I'm so excited that my chicken girl will have new friends!!

For those who were concerned... I will continue to cluck songs to my mini-flock. I am currently working on a Christmas medley that includes The Jackson Five's version of Santa Claus is Comin' to Town and Jingle Bell Rock. Heaven help me if one of my kids uploads this to Youtube... I'd be put into a straight-jacket for sure!

They tell me that patience is a virtue, but it has never been one of mine!!! I think we're going to pick them up on Sunday...My chicken girl doesn't seem at all impressed by today's developments.She just tipped her head to one side and sort of sized me up for a meal. I had forgotten to bring any scratch and the lint on my sweat pants was looking pretty tasty to her! :008Laughing:

We picked up two new hens this morning! They are Hylines (a breed that I was unfamiliar with) which is a sor tof hybrid/sexlink breed that is noted for having a high egg production. I was going to put them in a cage inside the pen, but then decided to cordon off a section of the original pen to give them a place to themselves. They can see my little lonely girl, but this keeps everyone from fighting until they get used to eachother. I am so grateful that the egg seller was willing to part with them...They are reasonably friendly, considering that we didn't raise them. I spent a lot of time working around them and took them snacks a couple of times to make sure they were settling in. They've taken a few swipes at eachother through the fencing, but it hasn't been too bad, so far!

The chicken girls and I are working on 4 part harmony. So far, the stray cats haven't complained or joined in!

I absolutely adore raising baby ducks! If I thought that I could get away with some here, I'd get a few muscovy ducks...

Archived