MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preserving Food without a Fridge

I spotted this on someone's Facebook page and thought that it was very cool. I've never lived without a fridge in my lifetime and found some of the suggestions for how to store food to be kind of interesting.

http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/saving-food-fridge-it-will-taste-better-may-even-last-longer-and-reduce-your-energy-bills.html#mkcpgn=fbpg2

Here is an excerpt:

Here is an interesting and complicated example. Many fruits give off ethylene gas as they ripen; a lot of people put their tomatoes in paper or plastic bags to make them ripen faster. That's why putting fruit is a fridge is so silly, the ethylene builds up inside the sealed box and the fruit goes rotten faster. But some vegetables react differently to ethylene; with potatoes and onions, it suppresses the sprouting process. Put a banana in a plastic bag with a potato and the banana will be rotten in no time, but the potato won't sprout. Jihyun Ryou's response:

Apples emit a lot of ethylene gas. It has the effect of speeding up the ripening process of fruits and vegetables kept together with apples. When combined with potatoes, apples prevent them from sprouting.

My favorite response in the comment section of the article is this one:

There is another trick to keep stuff fresh: Don't buy it unless you will use it in the next 3-7 days. What with supermarkets lurking behind every street corner in even remoter locations, there is no necessity to keep enough provisions around to survive WW3 in a bunker (unless, of course, you think WW3 is going to happen any time soon - but in that case, I'd say, it is not going to be pretty, and you are probably better off being among the earlier departures), 5 days to a week is all you need, even with a familiy.

HAH!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol::shakinghead:frying%20pan.gif:whistling:

My favorite response in the comment section of the article is this one:

There is another trick to keep stuff fresh: Don't buy it unless you will use it in the next 3-7 days. What with supermarkets lurking behind every street corner in even remoter locations, there is no necessity to keep enough provisions around to survive WW3 in a bunker (unless, of course, you think WW3 is going to happen any time soon - but in that case, I'd say, it is not going to be pretty, and you are probably better off being among the earlier departures), 5 days to a week is all you need, even with a familiy.

HAH!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol::shakinghead:frying%20pan.gif:whistling:

I don't understand people! Most of the time it's not prepping for the next war, it's prepping for "what if". There are so many things that can happen in life. Don't these people realize this? Just this summer my husbands pay was cut aprox 400 to 600 a month. That was a huge change. Our stockpile sure came in handy and we didn't go hungry.

Archived