MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

lab-grown hamburgers

:wacko: Yuck, best to breed rabbits or something rather than eat this "meat".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761

Ummm Christy, it says it was Dutch Scientists. Don't you have some influence with them? Raid the lab, SOMETHING!!!! :o We've got enough 'manufactured' food now as it is. YUK!!!

:bighug2:

Good grief, I'm in half a mind to write a nasty letter to the university of Maastricht about this.

Seriously, a solution for protein deprived countries? Really?

I had a thought. I bet the soy industry is having fits over this. After all, they are the OTHER protein source, aren't they?

I honestly believe if they'd let our livestock go back to a more natural diet the carbon footprint of our food would be much smaller. Beef alone would see a huge reduction. Beef are meant to be grass eaters. Their digestive tracts were especially formed for that but we insist on feeding them grain to 'fatten' them so we have our marbled meat. And of course so we can confinement raise them. But consider the cost in petroleum (fuel for equipment, fertilizers and pesticides, etc) alone to grow that grain. And beef is not a good converter of grain to meat/protein. It would be cheaper even if we just ate the grain. Oh wait, we eat a ton of that too.

Hmmmm... seems like there might be something seriously wrong with our way of life. Did we choose it or was it forced on us? I'm not sure I want to tackle a wooly mammoth but it would at least (maybe) be grass fed and enough meat to keep our 'tribe' in meat for a long long time....

Interestingly enough, on the opposite side of this issue....wouldn't it be great for preppers to be able to 'grow' their meat in a test tube? No grain to buy or grow, no fences, no daily feeding and watering, no storage problems as soon as they figure out what they need to add to keep it from rotting too fast. What will be next? Lab grown guns and ammunition to protect what we have from those who don't?

Big sigh,,, this is all too much for this senior citizen to comprehend. Give me plain old heirloom homestead raised foods any day. A lot of us still cling to that lifestyle. I fear, however, that the days of the past are gone and the future holds a whole lot that we wouldn't have believed now.

Mother goes off deep in thought....lab grown hambuger....what next... :shakinghead:

:bighug2:

It would have to be "the end" for me to eat that. It sounds bad---really bad. We buy our beef & pig from a local farm up the valley. If I don't have that, then I would become a vegetarian (reluctantly).

The Age of the Jetson's, but for now it is said that a test tube burger would cost about $300,000 so it will be awhile before it hits the store near you. If our country (or the world) is reduced to being a third-world status by an EMP or other catastrophe, we may well treasure such a luxury. As it is right now, meat prices are predicted to go through the roof (e.g. $35/lb +) soon.

Yes, become a vegetarian and consume the genetically modified (GMO) food/plants. To me that is even less appealing.

And consider that all your daily vitamins and prescription medications are chemically produced from artificially created ingredients.

Archived