MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

#10 cans in root cellar

sewandsew

Can anyone please tell me if #10 cans from honeyville or other regular cans of veggies will rust in a root cellar? Is there a certain way to store them? Thanks for the help!

I'm finally getting one and so proud. It will be a shipping container. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Lay down pallets on the floor. Paint each can in a thin layer of paraffin. They should last a good long time if you take these precautions.

Safety Lady 2

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Storage can be hidden in pvc pipes wired to the overhead in the crawl space under the house. Looks like the pipes belong there. Coat cans with parafin or spray on shellac. Put cans in pvc with cap on ends. You can bury the pvc and the cans will last for years. Keep a map where things are kept. I recently found some pvc we burried during the y2k scard. Everything was fine. I had vaccu sealed rice, macaroni (both with bay leaves) placed cans in the pvc and sealed both ends. We buried the pipe at least 24 inches down. Pvc wired to branches of trees in a very dense area, bury white buckets that have been sealed, the list goes on.

Found this when I ran a search.

Your ID says you live in Alabama. You will have excess moisture. Possibly, salty moisture coming in from the gulf. Those shiny metal cans can rust after a while [really!] so the light coat of wax or varnish is an extra preventative measure.

When I lived on Maui...oye, the salt air was damaging to EVERYthing but regular high moisture will be problematic too.

And shelving will be fine. Just don't store anything in direct contact to cement floor or walls. By 'walls' I mean like the cement block walls of an underground basement. Too much flux in temperature and you'll get condensation inside the container [bucket or can]. Any board or insulating material will stop this problem. But shelving will not have this trouble.

MtRider [... yahoooo on your root cellar!!! :thumbs: ]

Keep them off the grouind (pallets are easiest). I store in a damp root cellar too - the temps are nice, the moisture is not. I have waxed cans, but that takes a big dunk-pot, so I switched to oiling them with a thin layer of mineral oil (just enough so a fingerprint will show when touched). It works well unless you handle them a lot and wear it off. I got pharmeceutical grade mineral oil and just apply lightly with a sponge or oiled rag, wiping on all sides, then stack them up. ALSO remove labels before oiling or waxing, so you don't miss any spots and give the moisture a place to hide and rust your cans.

When you want to open cans, just wash the top off where you will be opening (the oil attracts dirt).

ooooops forgot about that. root cellar surprise happens often enough as it is....

Archived