MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

tornadoes in DFW

Vic303

SEveral reports of large tornadoes in DFW today, and damage in several communities including Lancaster, Forney, Cleburne and others. We however are safe and fine here in our town. We just had lots of rain, and there was a bit of large hail a few miles west.

Folks in Arkansas, Okla & Missouri should keep an eye out. These storms may well hold together long enough to reach you.

Yep. Weather Channel has a long video clip of the Flying J and Schneider Trucking company lot where the box trailers /Semi's were lifted into the air a hundred feet up and whirled around before crashing onto other box trailers and trucks...no injuries there luckily. Phenomenal sight to see that just as I turn on the tv and it was on TWC ...... listened and texted son ........who is student teaching in Grand Prairie.

His DW has her office in Pantego by Arlington and went out and flipped the ________ at the tornado passing north through the northern part of that small town........ and said: " Is that all you got?" , and now she is having to go around to all the other recruiting stations to see if damage occurred....before she can call it a day..... DS was having to hold students inside an inner hallway or room in the high school and unfortunately the 9th graders were actually released , from another section of the school and he had to collar some just aimlessly walking around and he was seeing texts on all the other tornadoes forming , so he brought them inside too..... The sirens were going off right next to the school as well......... who he could catch. He was so ticked.

He also said the female principal there was actually so freaked out she was hysterically speaking, not a good calm head on her shoulders so , between releasing the 9th graders wayyyyy too early before they were sure the actual danger was over, and her own hysteria, ( he wanted to go give her some 'training' ( being he trained new marine officers at TBS, and midshipmen at the USNA, he said, but of course........ he knows shes going to catch heck for how she mismanaged the whole situation. )

He then made it home once they could release from lockdown due to the tornadoes, and called to let me know all this and that their home was still good too, its not too far south of either workplace... but no............ they don't have a basement....... I told him about the tornado kevlar safe rooms people are installing in their garages nowadays. Maybe he will look into that. Or maybe build a root cellar in the back yard and prep it??? ( Hint Hint).

Of course he stayed with the students in his charge until they were properly released later on. He is currently keeping an eye and ear out and staying in touch with his DW while she buttons up all the recruiting stations in the Dallas FtWorth area and probably will have a nice dinner and wine and bubble bath waiting for her if the house is still standing later.... since the tornado watch is til 10pm I guess?

http://www.weather.com/weather/videos/news-41/top-stories-169/tornado-damages-dallas-truck-yard-26763#loc=41/169/26755

the debris video I think is the one that actually shows the trailers being picked up and whirled over the truck yard......

Glad you and Vic are ok so far, CGA. Thanks everyone. Yea its been a nervy afternoon. Southern AR is getting it now, according to radar, lots of brilliant reds and such there, some blowing easterly rather than Northeast . Be safe folks.

Sitting here thinking of the little spots here and there I found that I can put some seeds out. I don't think folks will notice green stuff growing and if it reseeds , it can help anyone around here that does, lol..... just dont tell . guerrilla gardening.... if the critters dont get it all, lol.

Its relaxing and a nice way to go about on my walks this year, lol. I guess its a meditation tonight to get over my nerves over watching all that unfold today so far.

Spots along the creeks and one place if I walk the long way around , the houses are far enough away that it would be an excellent place to practice using a sling as it would be shooting rocks across the creek against a big bluff and nobody goes there really. Once the bushes and trees leaf out its really sort of secluded and cannot be viewed except if someone is standing up on the bluff and that would be rare if at all.

Or this stuff will give me nightmares. That video on the trucks flying is wilder than any movie that has tried to mimic the affect, is all I can say. Hoping my DIL is now home , enjoying being pampered if my son stayed awake, I know he's got his iphone up on fb so they can text and such. It looks like the skies are clearing of storm cells now in the area where they are ( ??)

Archived