MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So Aldi has gone to the 4 lbs bags of sugar for the same price as the 5# bags ($2.98)<_< The kids and everyone around me received a lesson in inflation and learning to watch the size of products and the price.

I'm starting the first phase of the summer of fruit canning, jams, juices, fruit, etc. I think I should be fine to do a bulk bag of sugar.

Here are the questions - best way to store once open and best place tp purchase, Sam's or Costco?

Just keep it from moisture. And ants.

I buy bulk and transfer into my infamous Ocean Spray juice bottles [strong, clear, plastic]. Sugar slides right in using a funnel made from a 2 liter soda bottle. Make sure the bottle doesn't topple, while you're pouring when it's still empty....BTDT. :shakinghead: I open the bag all the way and scoop a few cups at a time with a pancake pouring bowl. While emptying the paper bag, the last of the sugar is in all the crevices and kinds splatters all over, of course. Be aware of that. Dog licking floor is helpful. ;)

Be best to transfer on a day that isn't real humid, btw.

MtRider [..trying to remember what 'humidity' feels like. Oh yeah...I don't like it! :grinning-smiley-044: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

I buy sugar in 5Kg bags (about 11 pounds) and store it in big tupperware containers or in large plastic bottles (juice, etc.) Just make sure to keep it closed tight or you'll be finding little ants in the sugar...BTDT <_<

It's cheaper here also in 4 lb. bags than 25 lbs. I buy the 4 lb bags and wrap them in double bagged grocery bags. I put them in a cupboard and it keeps for years that way.

Once my father in law told a store manager of a store that was closing out that he'd buy all they had if they'd sell it for $.15 lb. This was back in the late 70's early 80's. He was shocked when they brought out over 500 lbs. in 1 lb. boxes. It was super fine, reg. etc.

I did baking as a business back then and he bought it for me. What to do with over 500+ lbs. of 1 lb. boxes of sugar that were covered with sugar was the question.

I took a black garbage bag, back before we knew they should be food grade, lined a new huge Rubbermade garbage can and started dumping. I folded the bag back down on top of the sugar and put the lid on. It lasted a long time and never ad any problems with it.

So Aldi has gone to the 4 lbs bags of sugar for the same price as the 5# bags ($2.98)<_< The kids and everyone around me received a lesson in inflation and learning to watch the size of products and the price.

I'm starting the first phase of the summer of fruit canning, jams, juices, fruit, etc. I think I should be fine to do a bulk bag of sugar.

Here are the questions - best way to store once open and best place tp purchase, Sam's or Costco?

Baker's supply store or restaurant supply store. There's a baker's supply near me where I get the ultra high gluten fancy branded bread flour for less than all purpose costs per lb in the store. Sugar also significantly cheaper- I was irked that Costco doesn't sell sugar any cheaper than at the regular grocery store, but oh well.

If there's a Gordon Food Service nearby you, look there. Since I have NOT had occasion to buy sugar in 50 lbs sacks, I just get brand name stuff on sale and coupon. And if you have a place that doubles coupons, remember the smaller package may end up the better deal.

I might have someone to split the big bulk purchases with now, but their place is tiny...not sure how much they'd go for it.

Mt. Rider ~ the humidity just makes the curls, tighter, frizzier, and out of control. (Hair is pulled up as I type and getting ready to put a headband on. )

Yeah, Jori. Out here in high desert Colorado, no one knows I have massively curly hair.

MtRider [..Shhhhhhh! :ph34r: ]

You have to watch prices. Out here, in the Northwest, I alternate between Costco for sugar and flour, and United Grocers, a bulk grocery supply store. Last summer I found 20# of sugar for $13. I bought 3. Why? Because at the time, 4# of sugar was almost $6. I didn't need but a few pounds for canning things, but we tossed it in buckets and stored it. :)

I called my husband to help me unload it and he looked at the price. He grinned while shouldering the bag and said, " At least there will be cookies during the zombie apocalypse." :laughkick:

You have to watch prices. Out here, in the Northwest, I alternate between Costco for sugar and flour, and United Grocers, a bulk grocery supply store. Last summer I found 20# of sugar for $13. I bought 3. Why? Because at the time, 4# of sugar was almost $6. I didn't need but a few pounds for canning things, but we tossed it in buckets and stored it. :)

I called my husband to help me unload it and he looked at the price. He grinned while shouldering the bag and said, " At least there will be cookies during the zombie apocalypse." :laughkick:

The troops have to be fed and mine would be thrilled about cookies, even as they are telling me how bad sugar is. The joys of little people.:laughkick:

HazelStone ~ thanks! I hadn't even thought about running into GFS.