MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tuesday - weather & chickens...

Woke up to thunder and after DH got to work it started raining. I'm so grateful for it; it is SO needed! :woohoo:

That said, I am going to have a big mess to deal with. :(

Since it was so very, very dry for so long, I had decided to start taking stuff out of the basement to sort through and give me more room in the basement. I have two out-of-the-house kids' stuff, my nephew's stuff from the Grandma that raised him (since he has no permanent place to keep it), my own stuff from my Mom, and years' worth of accumulated family *stuff* to sort through, throw away, donate, and/or re-pack responsibly. And give the kids their *own* stuff! :happy0203:

I was doing that last Tuesday, knowing I had all day Wednesday to work on it. And I laid stuff on tarps and covered them with tarps, trying to be careful *just in case* it might possibly rain or draw dampness or save it all from animal messing/droppings.

Wednesday morning bigDD called - Could I watch the DGS? The regular babysitter had two sick kids. Then I also had to babysit Thursday and Friday. Friday it rained. :o And rained.

The tarps helped, but water still soaked a few boxes. Two of those had old clothes.

DH wanted to go to Michigan again for the weekend and had taken Monday off work. I had wet clothes to save from mildew. So I got home from DGS, got supper, and started washing clothes.

DH was telling me to just donate them "as is", but I can't DO that. :shakinghead: And as it turned out, I found some of my nephew's newborn clothes in it and I'm glad they are safe for him.

I washed, dried, and folded clothes all evening while preparing to head to MI again. Twice in the night I had to get up to ummm... take care of necessities, which I RARELY do. :whistling: I like to think that God was helping me get everything done, because it woke me up enough to re-start the dryer, fold, and then go back to bed. Everything was done the next morning. Thank You, God!

There were Christmas decorations in boxes. I have tinsel that just got damp that I strung on hangers from rafters. My basement looks ~FESTIVE~! cxmastreef.gif

But I'm afraid the rest is getting damp even though it has been nicely covered. I'm trying to be responsible and not just toss everything. And I use an old-style gas stove with a pilot light, so I can safely dry really important stuff (if any) in there. I just have to try and keep working on it while doing the "normal" everyday stuff. (Yeah - what am I doing on the 'puter???? :whistling: Taking a BREAK! :happy0203: )

Some of it is plastic stuff so I'm not too worried about that. But there are a few toys and books and other paper stuff that I'll have to go through. The glass stuff I'm washing and re-packing in a safer manner.

We're supposed to go back to MI Friday evening through Sunday again this weekend. :huh:

The chickens did just fine while we were gone. We had seven eggs, and none of them were broken. Last night I let them out of the run for the first time *just* before sunset. They were OK and headed back in at a good time. They are learning that the big human brings them tasty goodies when I call, "chick, chick, chick". Since I didn't raise them from chicks, I'm needing to teach them now. It's the best way to get them to learn to come when it's really necessary.

We now have three hens laying eggs. I got two green eggs and one brown this morning. The red hen has yellow legs, and she lays the brown egg. The rest of the chickens have green legs, so they are all the "Easter Eggers" mix. We weren't sure what they were at first, because we didn't order them and raise them from chicks.

316.jpg324.jpg

Soooo.... how's your Tuesday going?

:gathering:

Cat!! That hen in the front (white/brown--mostly brown) is an ISA BROWN. :) She will lay HUGE brown eggs as she gets older. And many double yolkers. The roo right behind her to the right (white/brown--mostly white with brown wings) is also an Isa Brown. :) If you could just keep those together and have a hen go broody--hatch out the Isa Brown eggs, then next year you'll have LOTS of HUGE eggs. YUM!

Today is a *see-what-I-can-get-done* day. :) (Also taking a break right now. ;) ) Mom closed up at Shipse flea market early due to the rain and I usually go after chores, so I didn't even go in today. :):( Need the money....but need the rain more. ;)

So far I've made a batch of soap and started a batch of cajeta. Folded some clothes and done dishes. Need to make a couple batches of lotion and order more supplies. Also need to start a batch of yogurt so I can make some sour cream and cream cheese. Been craving quiche and I make a cream cheese crust for it. :)

Hope everyone has a WONDERFUL day!!!!!

:bighug2: and :kissy:

Awww! Your chickens arebeautiful! What am I doing today? Laying On an ice pack. Remember how I was clearing my garage last week? Did a bit too much lifting. Lower back is killing me. I have stuff all over my back patio too. Made a nice list for my 2 sons who are going to help me put this stuff all back. Fortunately no rain in sight here.

Edited by dogmom4

We got some rain overnight!! It is hard to figure out how much we actually got, but the ground didn't seem to be quite so hard when I went out to take care of the quail & chickens. In fact, the ground was still a little damp. I'm hoping that it was a significant amount.I spent this morning in court and am spending the afternoon tending to book-related stuff. I hope that everyone has a marvelous day!

I have the week off and the fair started this week so of course it has to rain this week. Not that I'll complain about the rain. I heard they lifted the burn ban in St Joe county.

I did some trimming and pruning in the yard this weekend and was going to finish it yesterday but it rained and then got hot and today it's still damp from this mornings rain.

I did get my closet cleaned out yesterday. I'm trying to get some deep cleaning done while I off work this week.

I just had to make a mad dash to the stairs that are covered when dropped off after going to an appt that went well ( hurrah!) and to the new bank to make sure everything was set up for direct deposit, it is :cheer: and I even remembered my new pin number and got stuff to do the rest of automated registering so I can use computer site and phone to do my banking needs since I live 35 miles away from the bank branch.

Got next tasks figured out and have to call local VA clinic doc since all that blood drawn was for a consult with Rheumatology clinic and need to line that clinic to VAMC clinic for it set up , hopefully can coordinate that for Aug 15 when I go down to see Endocrine ( thyroid stuff)...... it all is going well and I got some stuff resolved and got some wise talk with my ICW about financial stuff so I get things better set up for my personal needs and responsibilities.

We had a cloud burst , its not a big cell but it gave a nice little dousing and its cooler today so can probably open some windows , put in my screens and turn off the AC now. :woohoo: If there is no worry of lightening which I need to check on weatherbug radar for it, then I can pop more stuff in the dehydrator and get to some tasks like Cat is doing , well my stuff. Maybe fix up some of my survival tins and clear the craft and rearrange laptop and sewing machine so I can use the big table for a desk/table like I really need. That would be a good thing to do since its a rainy afternoon, and figure out something for my supper, well maybe some late lunch and that gives me time to set something up for dinner like a small pot of chili beans with veggies, which sounds good and is easy to do.

I have had my AC on constantly 24/7 lately and my hearing needs a break, so it looks like the rain has let up enough to go open windows, as long as my area is clear of incoming lightning... :D

Things are looking up a bit more today.

It's about time! I really appreciate how everyone has been helping me out much better as I jump through all these hoops I have to do , as well as for the VA disability information. It's been such a long time there is still alot of record gathering going on and current assessments to get baselines on everything again which is what I needed to do all along and ran into problem sorts that really intimidated me and made me want to chuck it all. Different crew now, luckily and they are being tremendously kind now. I truly appreciate that. Its years overdue and will improve my financial situation incredibly if it ends up a good percentage and it looks like it will. So far I have had actual head nods and verbal agreement that many of the conditions I have are probably a result of toxic exposure to chemicals I worked with and thats really something they tried to hide for so many years about so many of them. It's nice to see they are owning up to it more and more. So many veterans have been so ignored about this issue for decades.

So I have a list to make of phone calls to verify and move things along but they also, those I saw today will probably be making calls about it since they are involved in my care and want to make sure the wheels keep turning. I am more into a better mode too, as I do each of thing and more comfortable as I do this and get acclimated again and less nervous so its just easier and the trust is coming along. Less frustrated. I hope it continues and has very positive results.

Could be by years end everything is done for the VA disability and I start getting more income. It would put me on a much more normal footing economically and basics would not be such a constant strain and may mean , with care I can eventually invest in a little property and build that cob home I want and set up a mini bitty natural spot so I can grow most of my own food in the future and set it up the way I need a home to be for my ability levels and as I age in a better than vicious winter climate locale. ( also less property taxes and closer to my son and his family so we can visit more often). That's a good goal.

It would put me in proximity with in a days drive or less of several of you who I have gotten to know here too and I would appreciate gleaning ideas and knowledge on the things I would do that are similar , like small livestock and stuff since it has been a while or I never actually did it and I will need all the tips I can get when the time comes.

This will take some time to do though, and thats if we don't run into major crisis in the meantime. Still, it gives me hope that I might actually be able to do that eventually. Much better situation than what I have right now.

Great, arby! Sounds like things are easing a bit now. I'm SO glad!! :hug3: You are still in my prayers.

Cat!! That hen in the front (white/brown--mostly brown) is an ISA BROWN. :) She will lay HUGE brown eggs as she gets older. And many double yolkers. The roo right behind her to the right (white/brown--mostly white with brown wings) is also an Isa Brown. :) If you could just keep those together and have a hen go broody--hatch out the Isa Brown eggs, then next year you'll have LOTS of HUGE eggs. YUM!

Ahhhh, OK, Necie... Thanks! :thumbs: She's the one laying brown eggs. The only one so far. I bought some Isa browns the last time - the flock that was massacred. They never got old enough to lay. Her eggs are already a nice size. I've heard that they tend to get egg-bound more often. I've never had to deal with that before.

So if Mr. Brown behaves himself, I might be more inclined to keep him. I'm not sure how we are going to be able to deal with three roosters.

The people who gave them to us had never had roosters before, and were rather shocked at their behavior. :shakinghead: At least I've dealt with them before, and the crowing doesn't bother us at all.

Can't WAIT till I can start making homemade noodles and angel food cakes!!! Noodles are so much better with free-range eggs! :wub:

Hmmm...never had an Isa get egg bound. Have had many of them for quite a few years. The size of some of the eggs will make ya wonder ... how in the woooorld???? LOL The Isa roos we've had have neither been aggresive or overly friendly. Just the way I like them. ;) Now, the Americaunas (green eggers), I don't like those roos. VERY aggresive. Moreso with the hens, but also with other roos and occasionally people.

Got my lotion made. Started a second batch of cajeta, that I will add to the first--double batch. YUM! Milk pasturized and yogurt started. Had extra pasturized, so decided to do some buttermilk too. :) DH will like that for his biscuits.

Think I'm gonna head out and do some fishing while it's still cool and not raining. DH went to DBIL's to work on his muffler. Would surprise him if he came home to a nice batch of gills frying. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update - the red hen HAS to be an Isa Brown. I got a *huge* egg today! :o

DH mentioned the possibility of it being an Isa Brown to the people who gave them to us. The wife was VERY insistent - she did NOT order those! :mad:

:whistling: Maybe it's a good thing I got her, because she sure is one! :happy0203: