MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bottom Of The Canner Racks

What do you all use in your canners, to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot, when you don't use the rack that came with it?

I like to waterbath some things in 1/2 pints and some things even in the 1/4 pint (4 oz.) jars but they fall right through that lifting rack thingy. Also, by canning such small jars I can use my smaller soup pot and save on water and time. It's a big pot but not quite as big as a canner. I think I read somewhere about a folded towel on the bottom of the pot but I'm not sure how stable that would be. Wouldn't it get floaty in bubbling water? And what about water circulation? Maybe line the bottom with upside down canning bands? I just thought about that. I dunno.

Even if I use my regular canner, those small jars wouldn't sit on that lifting rack. The flat rack that came with my pressure canner is too big to fit in my soup pot. I suppose I could use my pressure canner without the pressure. Maybe invert the lid to sit on top. Humm.

Also, if you wanted to double up the jars and stack them in the waterbath canner, what would you use between the layer? I don't have a clue on that one.

I'm not feeling very creative this summer but I do need to get the lead out and get some fruit and jelly in those little jars. Canning for 1 can be a challenge when even pint jars could be a waste of food and fuel.

I have knives that are entirely stainless steel, so my knives would work as a makeshift rack. Or the canning rings. And a towel does work.

Here are other threads we've had on it...

Using a towel instead of a canning rack?

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40514&st=0&p=339451

Can I set my jars directly on the bottom of the canner?

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22992&st=0&p=165861

:bighug2:

I've used the towels with no problem. You can also find stainless steel cooling racks for baked goods in different sizes that might work for you. If you are very careful, you can cut a piece of hardware cloth to fit between the layers of jars. Edges will be sharp! I'd probably put a towel over it. Be sure to put it someplace to dry so it doesn't rust.

http://www.lionsdeal.com/pwc-47098-22.html

Here is a small round rack. They have a slightly larger one too.

Thank ya ladies! :grouphug:

I did a search but I wasn't typing in the right words I guess. :busted:

That rack looks like it would be great. I'm going to an outlet place next week that has 2 kitchen ware stores so I'll look there before I order anything. I checked out Walmart today for a cooling cake rack but they are expanding the store to make it a super store and everything is messed up and the stock is really low. In other words, they didn't have any.