MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stomach Virus

I'm barely able to type this, so if it makes no sense forgive me. My dad got a touch of the stoomach bug and I got it really good...the whole thing, stopped yesterday after two days, but my stomach feels likes it is spasming and I feel so bad. Is there something I can take or cook that will help me get better? I always remember my mom giving the potato soup and think I read where the broth off of potatoes boiled is good to settle your stomach. Any suggestions. I've got to go back to work tomorrow and I can hardly stand up and feel awful..Thank you...Denise

For us, it was chicken noodle soup (or broth) and ginger ale. Ginger helps settle stomach problems, so a warm ginger tea might help, too.

7-Up or Sprite can he helpful, or Gatorade. :shrug:

I hope you get over it quickly... it's no fun! :hug3:

Oh, you poor thing!! Sounds like you're dealing with he aftereffects of the virus (lots of vomiting = smasming stomach), but also severe dehydration. It can cause stomach cramps, fatigue, dizziness, etc. Start small -- little sips of about 1 teaspoon first, so as to not shock your tummy. The best things are still, room-temp water at first; then Gatorade, or Sprite, or ginger tea; later on you can go to regular tea, if you like it. Increase your intake as your tummy accepts the liquid. After an hour of keeping liquids down, you can start on something like Saltines (our family's stomach flu fodder!) or dry toast. Once that's down, just keep pushing the fluids and eat bland and soft....my favorite post-tummy-flu meals are mashed potatoes (I make them with chicken boullion powder instead of butter, since my stomach doesn't respond well to oily stuff after being sick...and the salt is good if you've had vomiting or diarrhea) and pancakes.

Just try to rehydrate and try to rest as much as you can. Sleep is important! Also....I know that you said you really have to get back to work tomorrow...but if you're still feeling truly terrible, try to take an extra day to recuperate. Sometimes these viruses can really throw your body for a loop...give it time to heal.

*HUGS* to you!!! I really hope you feel better quickly, hon! :hug3:

I'm sorry you feel so lousy! :hug3:

Around here it's chicken noodle soup or chicken rice soup and some crackers to nibble on. Also, Gator-aide or 7-up. I try to keep enough liquid in me in case I have to throw up. Sorry TMI, I know.

Usually these things just have to run their course. I try to stay hydrated and sleep through most of it when I can. I hate viruses. I had something last year and everyday seemed like a week long. Then I felt 'washed out' for about a week when it was over. I did call my Dr. for some anti-nausea meds. They helped a little but not much.

Oh, and toast. That is one thing solid I can eat other than soup.

I hope you feel better soon! :pray:

I always take activated charcoal at the first sign and never have more symptoms. Daughter used to bring in from school regularly and barf all over. I'd take charcoal as soon as she barfed and would get some down her as soon as she could keep it down. Unfortunately I never caught her early since she would not tell me she felt badly. I never caught the bugs from her though.

I read somewhere to keep plan pringles, the original ones, on hand and they help.

Chicken soup and ginger ale (Vernor's) growing up, the chiropractor swore by it.

I wonder if that's what DS1 had but a mild case when we were in Maryland.

I am finally up and going, but slow. I've never been so sick with this stuff like this time. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I had high fever with it and man I've been sick. I had to go back to work Wed. because of a meeting & just barely made it thru the day. Still having dizzy spells and just get really sick stomach, my stomach just hurts. I think being very stressed in my personal life and tired made my resistance lower and this one just hit me hard. I know one thing I'm ready to feel better again. I've pretty much been living on crackers, 7-up/gingerale, potato soup. Thanks everybody for your help.

Katz remember the bland diet for stomach ailments: rice applesauce, toast(or table crackers), banana.

These foods have very little fiber and won't stress out your stomach too much. Were you able to see a doctor? You might still need an oral rehydrator or two. Sip it slowly. Chicken broth is good. That's the extent of my very humble wisdom. I'm sure there are many more ladies here who are able to help you better than I can.