MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

READ THIS!

Dee

I posted this at Facebook and thought it should also be posted here. I was not aware of this with Amazon and I think the more that can learn of it the better

We bought DS and DDIL a Kindle for Christmas. Tonight as they were trying it out they found ALL MY information on it. As DDIL and I talked on the phone she ordered something for $15.99 WITHOUT having to put in a password. Sure enough it showed up as purchased in my email account.

I called Amazon to see what the deal was. Since I was having it sent to my house I didn't ...click on "gift". So, w/o clicking on the "gift" it was registered to me with all the information stored right in it.

So, a word to the wise, ALWAYS click on gift if you're buying one for someone else or all your information, including all your books, will be on their Kindle.

Another strange thing, on MY tablet I have to put in the password before ordering but they didn't....weird!

Am I the only one that didn't know this about clicking on "gift"?

Edited by Dee

that's one thing I don't like about the kindle. we have three registered to my account, my husband's, my son's, and myhusband's mom's. all the info shows up from my account because it's registered under my account. While I don't think mil will go on a buying spree, it is sort of creepy at times seeing al her romance novels on the other kindles, lol, or so ds says :)

I think the reason they're able to charge like that is that they may have "one click" buying selected on their devices, and you don't have it on yours. Maybe worth checking out.

What you could do is go to your Amazon account, under the 'manage my kindle" section and DEACTIVATE their devices from your account. Then they can set up their own Amazon accounts (if they don't have them already) and re-register their Kindles under their own accounts . They will no longer have access to your info, your books/other items, or ability to purchase on your account. That's the route I'd take, even just for privacy's sake.

Edited by lumabean

When I called Amazon they told me I could go into the settings and change it which DDIL had already done before I got an answer. Yes, I do have the "one click" option and I still have to put in a password but I don't have a Kindle, I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet, so maybe that's the difference.

For future reference I would suggest clicking gift even if you are purchasing a new one for yourself. Consider what could happen if it got lost in the mail. Registering it to you account when you receive it will allow you to retreive all your books.

Hi Dee, glad to see you!

I am not sure it is only the Kindle. I ordered a gift from Amazon for my daughter last year. She has the same last name as me and now her address and cc info come up if I go to order anything. If I can see her CC info she can see mine. Yesterday I had the opportunity to delete her account off of mine. I do not think they have any right to show such info.

Google knows a lot about us. I do not know if Bing is as nosy or not I am liking google less all the time.

I had an experience like this a while back and I just thought it was because I ordered something for dil before here and son were married. I thought it was because it came to my address but in her name thank goodness she just handed me the paper work that was with it. Now I click gift even if it is for me.