MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Worried Momma

My oldest DD works at a vet clinic.They sometimes keep a "Bite dog" until it's decided what to do with the dog.

The clinic has a mastiff that sniffed, licked, bit, than re-licked someone.

She was taking the dog outside to go potty and it sniffed, licked and growled at her. It growled at her again when she put it back in its run.

I wanted to know what they told her to do to protect herself from these dogs. She said nothing. My prayer is the dog will be gone by Sunday which is when she works again.

What can she do to deal with these dogs?

I'm guessing pepper spray isn't allowed.

When I was a mail carrier back in the 80s, we were issued an automatic umbrella. One push of the button and it springs open, scaring the dog back. They're almost all like that now. She could get a small one that is easy to carry and be ready to use it.

I'm guessing pepper spray isn't allowed.

When I was a mail carrier back in the 80s, we were issued an automatic umbrella. One push of the button and it springs open, scaring the dog back. They're almost all like that now. She could get a small one that is easy to carry and be ready to use it.

When I was working at the gas company, the meter readers all carried those umbrellas. They really do work.

I carry a police baton with me when I run. It is about the size of an ink pen but thicker, and you flick it and it comes out. It is metal and works well with dogs. No one even knows I have it

I'm of the opinion that a "lick" is usually a precursor to a bite. The umbrella's are absolutely wonderful for self defense, and having a clipboard also. When I worked as a real estate appraiser for the county, I often encountered aggressive dogs and using the umbrella to surprise and shock them, then the clip board to hold in front of you, was our first line of defense. The next was a doubled up fist directly on top of the head...do it hard enough and it will knock them colder than a wedge. Don't ask me how I know! LOL But...the farmer said "I knew that would happen one of these days".

She needs to know why this dog is being kept. And why it is called a "Bite Dog". Does that mean it bites or that it has bit someone and is in quarantine. Quarantine dogs, she shouldn't be walking, IMO.

She needs to talk with her employer about their liability if something happens to her and she hasn't had any kind of instruction for how to handle an aggressive dog. Maybe she shouldn't be wording it that way but that is the way that it is. How about suggesting a muzzle when handling the dog?

Other question, how does her size match to the dog's size? Is it because the dog doesn't recognize her as an alpha? Or, if he is not neutered, there are times she shouldn't be walking him.

It's the owners worried about it's agressive behavior and can't make up mind what to do dog. Quarantine dogs the vets take care of.

DD is 5'2 and petite. The dog wieghs about as much as she does.

I will tell her about the umbrella.

The vet is putting her in harms way. I was bitten a few years ago by my neighbors dog. It happened out of the blue. It was a very ugly bite and situation. once he bit me the first time---he tried to knock me down and bite me again. Very painful experience. My neighbor was horrified. Her dog was a very aggressive stray that she took in.

Glad the vet is stepping up. We had to put down a dog of ours a few years ago when he bit my mom. It didn't break the skin but I knew I couldn't ever trust him again and it would have been inappropriate to re-home him knowing he was capable of reacting like that for no reason. It broke my heart but it was the right decision. I hope your DD isn't put in that position again!

The dog is still there and she had to take care of it when no one else is available.I'm still going in with her when the office is closed.

I know she is 18 but yesterday I told her she had to talk with the vets about this dog or I would.