MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Corned Beef - Canning ???

Hi Everybody,

Tomorrow (3-13-13) corned beef brisket will be on sale at Safeway for $1.99/lb. I'd like to buy a few packages to can. I've read that some spices change the taste when canned. I know that corned beef comes with seasoning packs. Will the seasoning in these packs change the taste of the brisket once canned?

Does any one have any suggestions on canning corned beef? Which is better, flat cut or point cut?

Thanks in advance

YYY

My concern is with the fat. If you do can this, trim off as much fat as possible. Then, I would use water in the jars to keep it moist, plus perhaps not make it so salty. But then, I put liquid in all my meats when I can them. I would put a small amount of the pickling spice in each jar, too. Otherwise I think it will lose that corned beef taste. Precooking the meat some would help you remove more of the fat.

When reading the ingredients on my package, I did not see anything that would be a thickener or any dairy extracts, etc.

I got one of the corned beef there today. I got the point since it was cheaper per pound. The flat is $2.99 per pound. I would buy the point just due to the cost factor. It is more thin on one end of the meat instead of just being more uniform in thickness.

Hi Violet

Thanks for responding.

Maybe I'll just freeze the brisket. I want to keep the flavor. I don't want to spend that money and time and then lose the taste.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, thanks for being around to make sure we can / preserve in the safest and most economical ways possible.

YYY

I canned corned beef this year for sandwiches. It can also be used in cabbage and potatoes though.

I pressure cooked mine with the season package ingredients. After it was cooked, I trimmed off all the fat and picked the meat apart and cut it to make it sandwich size pieces and to get rid of the hidden fat. It took FOREVER but I ended up with jars of beautiful lean meat just right for sandwiches. I did mine in small jars so I could use it for sandwiches. And I live alone so I don't need big jars of meat. I might get some more to do since it is going on sale.

I canned mine in half pint jars. I put the cooked meat in the jar, filled with boiling water and removed bubbles. Left 1 in. head space and processed 75 min. at 10 pounds of pressure.

Jeepers, you did well !! Your way is fine, too. This would be a good prep item since it would be a different flavor to our diet with the corned beef flavor. I have just beef in broth so far.

I find I run short on canning time to do all the foods I want to do.

Violet-

I pllan to pre-cook my corned beef too. I'm assuming it would be ok to fill the jars with the water it was cooked in to retain that unique taste.

What I usually do is separate the meat from the broth and chill it in the fridge for a day or so, then skim the fat off of the broth. I cold pack the meat into the jars, add the broth, seal the jars and start them in the canner in cold water. When the water in the canner heats up I put the lid on and process for meat in my size jars.

Do you see any problems with this method?

I think I am going to sit back and watch this one. To me, there are two kinds of 'corned beef'.

1) corned beef is beef that is salt cured. Or grain cured (packing in grain, like millet to dessicate). Usually marinated before curing. Like jerky.

2) beef that is pickle cured. Think of those 'hot' picked sausages.

Or is this another case of a different food with the same name?

Sarah

of the Librum

You should always use boiling liquid in the jars, even if raw or hot packed meat. The water temp in the canner should be 140 for raw pack or 180 hot pack. In your case, I would use the raw pack temps. Never start with cold water.

You could use the cooking liquid. I am not sure how salty the end product will be, though. Taste the liquid first after you heat it. It over salty, add some hot water.

http://startcooking.com/how-to-cook-corned-beef-brisket

Sarah, this is what we are talking about. It is still raw and must be cooked. It is brined and seasoned, but comes with pickling spices to add to the cooking water.