MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dog bites

CarlaJ

On Friday my 16 month old granddaughter got bit multiple times on her face by the family dog. She needed 15 stitches. We don't expect any scarring, the Dr. did a great job. We were so lucky, the dog just missed her eye, ear, and throat, Thank God. She is doing wonderful, up and running around as usual. When she got home she promptly petted the other 2 dogs, touched her face and told them no no no.

I just wanted to remind everyone to really watch young ones around the pets. It happened so fast.

Good to know things turned out okay for everyone. I had a friend call me several years back and asked me to come to her house to shoot her dog that had just attacked one of her granddaughters. I had to explain to her that it is against the law to discharge a gun in the city limits and that I could go to jail if I did. She got rid of the dog the next day.

:wormie2:

John

How awful. :sad-smiley-012:

IMO the dogs should be out of there. When it comes to little children, one bite and you're out of the house. I always cringe when I see people post pictures of the family pet right in a little baby's face. I'm glad your precious little granddaughter is going to be okay!

Clumsy children and dogs just don't mix well very often. I believe even the best natured dogs will protect themselves if they're startled or fell upon by a child. We have a neighbor boy who absolutely adores Abby and she adores him...but we won't let him near her without close supervision and she has to sit so she knows he's wanting to pet her...on the head. One time when he was a lot smaller (and so was she) she accidently knocked him down when she rushed to him. She absolutely went frantic trying to "kiss" him and make it well, but it taught us a powerful lesson. But I have to agree with Jeepers...a dog who bites a child once will probably do it again.

So glad it didn't turn out worse. I agree with everyone...any dog and small children should never be alone. My Abby was raised in a daycare situation with children all over her...she raised a litter of puppies and has one of the best mothering instincts I've ever seen. She's incredibly gentle with cats and my chickens. But...she is a dog and reacts like a dog. I've never seen her bite but I've seen her swing head with a growl to show that she's the alpha female when it comes to food when it comes to her pups, the cats and the chickens. The possibility is always there...especially if an animal gets stepped on and it hurts. It makes me crazy when people say there dog would never bite or act surprised when it does.

I had a golden retriever once that jumped all over everybody, except when daughter's birth mom brought her barely walking one yr old to visit. That dog got down and crawled on her belly after the baby so she wouldn't hurt the baby. Only dog I ever had that did that though.

Normally Abby does that CGA, with small dogs and small children. Almost like she's saying "I won't hurt you". We often say "Abby, baby". But our neighbor boy wants to "rough house" with her and deliberately takes off running so she'll chase him. His parents don't seem to think there's any problem. We do. Abby's back is a little above his waistline which means one bump and he's on his butt.