MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What can you do when the temperature gets close to 120 degrees outside?

What can you do when the temperature gets close to 120 degrees outside?

* Making breakfast: put a fry pan on roof of your car then break eggs into pan and fry for 2 minutes. Turn over eggs and cook for 2 minutes more. Add bacon to pan with eggs if you like.

*Bake potatoes: Wrap in tinfoil and place on windowsill. After 2 hours they are done! You can turn them after 1 hour if you want but be careful as they will be hot.

*Doing Laundry: after washing clothes take them outside and hang on clothes line. Start at one end and when you reach the other end of the clothesline go back to the start and take them down; they will be dry and ready for folding.

* Washing Hair : After washing your hair “towel dry” and then just go for a walk around your house. When you get back inside your hair will be dry BUT you may have to take a shower again.

*Drying Herbs: Go out into your Herb Garden and pick some stems of the plants you want to dry. Hold them in your hand like a bouquet and by the time your get back inside they will all be dry and ready to use.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Sun Tea: Fill gallon jar with water, put in tea bags and set in the sun... wait about an hour and tea is done. Any longer and it may become bitter-over cooked.

Dehydrate just about anything.... in a fraction of the time a dehydrator would take..... LOL.

The heat is the exact opposite of the extreme cold.

Seriously, stay indoors and do indoor jobs or go swimming with sunscreen, reapply sunscreen every 30 minutes.

If you have a garden... water repeatedly-morning and evening and do not expect anything to survive... hahahaha! This year, the zucchini and corn seem to be handling the heat rather well.

Do almost all outdoor activities between 9pm - 9am, to avoid any heat related illness.

It sucks to get into the car in the middle of the day and need gloves to touch the door handle and steering wheel. The news said it gets 150+!

....been there.........

......... done that.............

:runcirclsmiley2:

Make raisins on your grapevines! The grapes on my grapevine aren't ripe yet but this morning I noticed that on many of the bunches the lower halves are shriveling up. :( Can't pick'em. Just will try and keep watering .

Make SURE.....VERY SURE.....you have a Plan B in case of power failure.

Overloading the grid would be very possible with so many needing the A/C to survive.....and if it shut off???? Waddya gonna do?

Keep bathtub full of water? Evaporative cooling methods might work ....kinda sorta.

Place to EVAC to?

Be careful out there! :knary:

MtRider .....raising raisins? :scratchhead: Very efficient of you, Dogmom! :lol:

I've thought of what we'd do without power and no a/c. My gas tank is full....we'd find a shady spot and hang out in the car to stay cool during the hottest part of the day. That's of course if the movie theater/library had no power.

I had a regular activity with my kids when we were younger. It was called "going out for air conditioning." We would go to the mall, a movie, out to eat, anything that got us inside where there was ac and out of the heat. From this one of my kids loves to wander through the store looking at things but not buying, the other tries to get someone else to go to the store for her. She hates going to stores. I wonder if I caused that. Well, it was much cooler at the time. I worked midnights when my youngest was little and we would go see the latest Disney or other kids movie and she would watch the movie while I napped in the theater enjoying the air conditioning. Now we mostly just keep cool rags handy. We activate them and keep them in the fridge between use so we can rotate them when they get hot. we also use ice in front of the fan ( doesn't last long and we don't have the heat they have out west,) or putting our feet in a pan of cool water. Anything that will help cool off is tried. I admit that I miss the dry heat we had in California, the humidity we have here in Ohio is hard to handle sometimes. The air gets so heavy it is hard to breath.