MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Getting the look.

Have you ever gotten the look when you say something about making a homemade version of a common product?

At work we have to do stretches before starting work. A friend and I were talking and I told her about making laundry soap.

She said that she is going to start making soap and it's something I've been wanting to do so we've been talking about our projects.

Yesterday we were doing stretches next to our supervisor. I had sent her some links to soap making supplier and told her if she wanted to order something I would go in with her so we could split shipping.

We were talking about finding lye and our supervisor asked why we need lye.

We told him about getting into soap making .

He just looked at us.

I told him I make my own laundry soap and she told him about the shampoo she makes.

He just looked at us.

I said I had just gotten my vanilla beans and was making vanilla extract this weekend.

She was teasing me about still having the vodka I had bought to make the extract .

He asked if vanilla extract was really just vanilla beans and vodka. Yup, vanilla beans ,vodka and in 6 weeks you have vanilla extract.

He just looked at me and said 'So this is how you spend your weekends." kinda of shaking his head.

Friend thought that was funny.

I told them I was also going to make yogurt this weekend.

They just looked at me.

Friend said I was going to far.

:008Laughing:

People at my work have been the recipients of things I make....jellies, lotion bars.....eggs from the chickens. So I get the "yay! I want some!" My boss is a gourmet cook who tries out new recipes on us (yummy!) Plus, we've all known each other for over ten years...and we're all women. No insult to the men here....but I find that more women get excited over that kind of stuff.... :)

I get the look more from certain family members who can't understand why I'd want to make something when I can just buy it from the store.

People at my work have been the recipients of things I make....jellies, lotion bars.....eggs from the chickens. So I get the "yay! I want some!" My boss is a gourmet cook who tries out new recipes on us (yummy!) Plus, we've all known each other for over ten years...and we're all women. No insult to the men here....but I find that more women get excited over that kind of stuff.... :)

I get the look more from certain family members who can't understand why I'd want to make something when I can just buy it from the store.

Guys can have the same dynamic, just on different things. The crowd I hang out with, buying a computer rather than assembling one yourself is a cop-out. Or basic car maintenance, or tile jobs, etc. Home brewing is very much a guy thing as well. If you're sewing a button back on or repairing a seam, lots of guys wonder why not to just get it done at the dry cleaner's, but it's a matter of skillset.

Now, people give me weird looks when I say I make my own bread, but I find that it's because they've lived on WonderBread and the like their whole lives. If they've had my other baked goods first, they are at least intrigued.

Guess what? We had soup day at the office this week, and the new boss says he makes his own bread. :cele: Now picture all the sheeple around him trying not to give THE LOOK. :whistling: I'm taking my bread machine back to the office next week. Hot bread for lunch! :yum3:

I see more of *those* looks from women than from men when it comes to selling my goat milk soaps/lotions. Women are much more... forward about their opinion of it being 'weird'. I've had some right down rude comments. And I've seen the look directed at their husband. If a woman approaches my soap and is interested, her husband just kinda stands there and waits while she makes her purchase. If I point out our men's scents and he's truly not interested, he just smiles and shakes his head 'no'. But if a guy approaches the soap, I've seen wives roll their eyes and glare. If he starts asking about it and purchasing, she'll usually turn and walk (huff) away.

This is a very small percent of my customers now. Most couples that buy, buy as couples. But the ones that are divided in their opinions, the women are much more obnoxious about it.