MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dutch Oven Cooking

DH & I had a fire last night and talked about cooking on the coals with my dutch oven.

Since the coals were still hot this morning, I decided to make chicken & dumplings. Well, a variation to the recipe.

Chicken - a couple of pieces

thyme

salt

pepper

carrots - from the garden

onion - from the garden

celery - from the garden

garlic

1/2 bay leaf

Chicken broth - home made

and a dash of chicken bullion

1 tsp of butter

dutch1.jpg

dutch2.jpg

dutch3.jpg

After an hour, I put the biscuits on top to cook. - DH doesn't like squishy dumplins ~lol

dutch4.jpg

Looks like somebody enjoyed his din-din! LOL We only have a portable fire pit that we take camping, so it's stored away (along with my dutch oven, til coming spring. I keep my bean pot here at home though, as well as my cast iron wok.

Awesome TheCG! You can cook so much in them. I even use my dutch oven for deep fat frying. I figure I'm tempering it more each time. hahaha.

Philbe, DH enjoyed it very much and has added it to his :thumbs: list. When our portable fire pit started rusting, I built that pit. We continue to use the 'pan' because it makes it easy to clean out the ashes, at least until it rusts away.

Awesome TheCG! You can cook so much in them. I even use my dutch oven for deep fat frying. I figure I'm tempering it more each time. hahaha.

Philbe, DH enjoyed it very much and has added it to his :thumbs: list. When our portable fire pit started rusting, I built that pit. We continue to use the 'pan' because it makes it easy to clean out the ashes, at least until it rusts away.

Wonderful idea of saviing the pan and building around it! When we get moved to the Little House, guess I'll see if MM will volunteer to build a fire pit there! LOL

You're able to brown biscuits in a dutch oven?

That's what DH said when he woke up. lol

Picture #3 shows the coals on top. I had to continue adding mesquite wood to the coals, throughout the cooking process, so I would have some coals to put on top when the biscuits were added.

I am so excited to try some other recipes. Mmmmmmm.... cherry cobbler..... :yum3:

With all this talk of cast iron..............

am I going to have to bring all my DS's cast iron up here???

There are skillets of all sizes maybe 8-10,

a dutch oven or are there two?

the big No 25 pot on legs and a slightly smaller one,

a gypsy pot , can't remember if it has legs......

a maybe 1 gal. tea kettle that is ever so heavy....

and so much more............

I do not like to use cast iron on my flat top....proof in the pudding that

the cast iron absorbs its contents.....and leaves it on the burner for me to clean up.

But I do love to use it on an open fire..

With all this talk of cast iron..............

am I going to have to bring all my DS's cast iron up here???

There are skillets of all sizes maybe 8-10,

a dutch oven or are there two?

the big No 25 pot on legs and a slightly smaller one,

a gypsy pot , can't remember if it has legs......

a maybe 1 gal. tea kettle that is ever so heavy....

and so much more............

I do not like to use cast iron on my flat top....proof in the pudding that

the cast iron absorbs its contents.....and leaves it on the burner for me to clean up.

But I do love to use it on an open fire..

Sounds like you've got a gold mine in cast iron! Have you considered buying one of those single burner "butane" stoves? We have one that we keep stored at Little House and a 2 burner Coleman here. I too have an electric stove here, but will put in a gas stove at LH. I also have a 2-burner electric hot plate that I keep in the RV and use it instead of always burning my propane.

I've never worried about how to cook if the power goes out for a few days because we have multiple camp stoves, cast iron, and firewood.

BTW, one of my cast iron dutch ovens is on the stove with stew meat, bouillon, mirepoix, and a bit of wine in it. About an hour before dinner, I figure I'll add potatoes and the rest of the wine. Nomnomnom. :feedme: