MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Warning about a common plant.......

• 2 weeks later...

There are several sun -reactive plants out there. St John's wort does it for me.  So does yarrow.  Wild parsnip is a biggie because so few people recognize it as a hazard.

But even critters can be affected, which was a surprise to me.  And some foods can cause reacions as well - mango peel, celery, lime....

So I try to stay away from the sun, instead.  It only burns me anyway.  The sun is NOT my friend, LOL.  Im a big-hatted, long-sleeved, long pants (light fabric thou0gh) kind of person.

I wasn't aware of all those, Kappy.  I know I don't react to yarrow....one of the few plants in our high altitude {with medicinal qualities!}.  I know from Hawaii that some folks react badly to mango.  Our pastor did and reports he's highly reactive to poison ivy/oak/etc.  I have never reacted to any of those .....and being in the woods a lot, I'd think I might have had an incident.  I'd appreciate NOT being hyper-reactive .....since I've got so many other issues.... :rolleyes: 

The sun is not my friend either....love it from the coolness of the shade!

MtRider B)

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm highly allergic to poison ivy, oak and sumac. It gets in my bloodstream and pops up everywhere on my body. The only way I can get rid of it is shots from the doctor. I mean, it's really bad!

My grandma was the same way. She would get it just being close to it. Or if anyone was burning it. She lived in fear of the stuff.

I can remember as a little kid lying with just a sheet over me with my eyes swollen shut. And the itching about drove me insane. I couldn't even have the fan on me because it tickled and made me itch. Fortunately back then doctors would make a house call if necessary. I got shots from him 3 days in a row. Bless him. No way could I wear clothing to go see him. I was about 9 years old and I can still remember it very vividly.

That wasn't the worse time though. My aunt lived in the country and had some pretty plants in a wooded area with pretty red berries. I admired them and she offered me a start. I actually brought them into my house. It was poison sumac. Sigh. I got help fast but nearly landed in the hospital because it spread so fast.

D-ex couldn't hardly believe it. Couldn't believe how bad it got and that I actually brought it home. I was so dumb back then. It's a wonder I didn't try to make jelly from the berries. Seriously.

• Sad 2