MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WiFi Problems

Midnightmom

I lost service earlier today. When I called my provider to find out about any possible outages, we went through a series of "tests." Apparently my router is old and cannot handle/read/process the updated software that is now available. I have a new one on the way, but I may have hit & miss service until it arrives and I have it hooked up. So, if you don't "see" me for a couple of days, that is probably why. :(

• Like 4

Thanks for the heads up Midnightmom.

Maybe that's what's wrong with my internet. Ancient equipment. Mine keeps going out a few times a day. But only for 5-10 minutes at a time so I'm dealing with it. I'm not buying anything new (that I don't have to) for this house though. :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Hummm, I have AT&T too. Letting into my house to hook it up is another issue though. :Blushing:

Do you have a WiFi router, or are you still hooked up to a broadband connection? 

When they installed it, they opened up one of my phone plates and changed the plug to accept the plug in cable. The cable goes to the router and the computer isn't hard wired to the router at all, so your computer needs to be WiFi capable.  To upgrade the router all they have to do is send me a new "box" and I'll send the old one back.

Oddly, our router/modem  [ I think it's the same device for both]  went out this morning.  It's about 3 yrs old.  After waiting a while for it to self-repair, DH began to fiddle with it.  :unsure:  Eventually he just unplugged it for a few minutes, then plugged it back in.  After a half hour or so.....it worked.  :shrug:  

I hate being without Internet....I have so much I use it for and no alternatives. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:     ....hope it all goes smoothly, MM.

• Like 2

Router delivered and in use. :thumbs:

Look at the difference between the old one and the new one! I think they had to make it bigger to accommodate all of the new software. :wacko: (Not really.)

But I wonder why it is so much bigger. At any rate, it is more "stable" and less flimsy than the older one!

IMG_20210228_121805.thumb.jpg.ffb91ac119cbfb4edb5c9b2ad58e52a7.jpg

• Like 2

In October, one of my two companies "upgraded," and it hasn't worked properly since.  Except that it has occasionally worked beautifully for an hour or two, or up to a day at a time.  Nearly four weeks ago, they said they would send a new SIM card.  They took their sweet time (and needed much prodding) but finally sent it.  After several ignored emails regarding the fact it didn't work, I asked for the address of their legal department.  Then they said they had neglected to activate it yet.  This morning, it started working.  We'll see how long it keeps working.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We were getting really slow service. (2mb.) Called, they replaced our router, 20 mb. Our new box is also bigger than the old one.  We also got cable service from another company (200+ mb. Up to 500 Gb.) to be installed tomorrow.  Sure hope it works like advertised.  DH does a lot on the net.

• Like 2