MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

DO YOU REMEMBER (KITCHEN EDITION)

DO YOU REMEMBER? 

Trussing fowl?

Rotisserie grill attachments?

Stovetop Pressure cookers?

Trivets for the table?

Vinyl (or oilcloth) tablecloths?  

Making pot holders with looper looms?  (extra credit if you cut the tops of worn out socks into loops) 

Making cutting boards out of wood scraps?  Cannisters from coffee cans?

Peanut butter jars with measurement markers on the side?

How about jelly jars that were designed to be re-used as drinking glasses?

Pressed wood salad bowls (now you are dating yourself, LOL)

Salad “sets” of bowls (extra credit for the tossing tools)

Special ethnic cooking tools, like lefse rolling pins, rosette irons, aepfelskiver pans, wafer cookie irons, and of course, the traditional bean pots and cast iron dutch ovens (extra credit

if you know how to use them)

Cooking with lye? 

Cooking with drippings?  (please post recipes!)

Using "everything but the squeal"?

Home sausage stuffers?  

Slow, Moderate or Quick oven settings?

War ration recipes? Depression era recipes?

Jelly bags?

Pressing foods through a sieve to make a puree?

Aprons that went from chin to knees (even longer if you were a young ‘un helping in the kitchen)

Absorbent cotton dish towels from flour sack material? 

Summer kitchens, and special hot weather recipes?

Canning as a group project (any excuse for a “hen party”)

Canning jars with red rubber rings?  

The special pliers to close the rings on the larger sausages?

Smoke houses?  

Making soap?  (extra credit if you know what soft soap was for, and how to make and use it!)

(Dang I feel old!)

Add your own....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

:whistling:

I still have, and use, most of your list daily, I use my ‘scrap wood’ cutting board every day, over the sink as extra counter space. 

:shakinghead:

Cast iron: corn cob shaped for making corn bread, waffle maker, bread pan, tortilla frying pan, meat grinder, and a cast iron wood chip smoker.

I have 2 Mexican clay bean pots & one clay casserole pot, hand-me-down from MIL, years ago. 

Making shirts from flour sacks…

Corked cooking oil jars

Sand hourglass egg timer

Flour sieves

Original Vision ware cooking pans (not that old)

Original Tupperware set of 7 measures including the egg separator

Bone China. (Extra credit for knowing why it’s called bone China)

…next….

• Like 2

If I remember because we are still doing it, does that make me not old? hahahahaha.   I guess I'm old as dirt.  

Things I have Used/Done

Trussing fowl?

Rotisserie grill attachments?

How about jelly jars that were designed to be re-used as drinking glasses?

Pressed wood salad bowls (now you are dating yourself, LOL)

Jelly bags?

Canning as a group project (any excuse for a “hen party”)

Canning jars with red rubber rings?  

The special pliers to close the rings on the larger sausages?

Making soap?  (extra credit if you know what soft soap was for, and how to make and use it!)

Things I have Used in the last year

Made pot holders (not looms, but crochet and sewing/quilting)

Stovetop Pressure cookers? 

Salad “sets” of bowls (extra credit for the tossing tools)

Special ethnic cooking tools, like lefse rolling pins, the traditional bean pots and cast iron dutch ovens (extra credit if you know how to use them)

Cooking with lye? 

Using "everything but the squeal"?

Smoke houses?  (not here, but DH has a coworker with one.  We trade homemade bread and jam for some of the smoked meat.  

Things I have Used in the last week

Trivets for the table?

Vinyl (or oilcloth) tablecloths? 

Making cutting boards out of wood scraps?  ( I have a half door cutting board where we sued to butcher slaughtered hogs on)

Cooking with drippings? (drippings are just fat.  Measure and use wherever you need fat)

Home sausage stuffers?  I prefer the attachment for my kitchen aid to a stand alone one.  It frees up a lot of space in my kitchen.  

Slow, Moderate or Quick oven settings? (this is roast vs bake vs sorta broil.)  325/375/425  you can translate any old recipe this way.  

War ration recipes? Depression era recipes? (favorite hobby is reading this sort of stuff)

Pressing foods through a sieve to make a puree? (I have a toddler who just graduated from baby food.)  Also I make jelly, jam, conserves, preserves

Aprons that went from chin to knees (even longer if you were a young ‘un helping in the kitchen)  (Mine usually don't go to neck, but I have some.  I find them a bit hot so I prefer the ones that go across my collar bone and over my shoulders or have a bib neck.  Most are cut higher than my tops.  

Summer kitchens, and special hot weather recipes.  I live in MS and VA.   Midsummer, you grill, put the crockpot outside, or have salad.  

I love kitchen and cooking history.  We live about 45 minutes from Jamestown/Williamsburg and I adore the historical cooking lessons they do.  I also love the Townsend youtube channel and find modern and historic ethnic cooking amazing.  

Weird things I have:

Dough bags

Copper moulds

Biscuit bowl

cast iron spider

Large collection of Hull dishware (from 70s so moderately old)

Ceramic Whisky jars (were actually used.  maternal grandfather was a bootlegger)

Corelle cannisters that look similar to hinged mason jars with orange gaskets.

Moderate collection of old corelle in various patterns  merry mushroom, spice o life, indian summer, blue cornflower

More than 25 pieces of assorted cast iron pots, pans, griddles, skillets, specialized muffin/etc.

ceramic muffin pan

copper measuring set, aluminum measuring set, stainless steel measuring set, 3 sets plastic measuring sets.  I use each one for different things.

Vintage B&M baked beans pot

tubing of various sorts to make things that need to be distilled, etc.  

I have a ton of other stuff, but I'm not sure what qualifies as old from it.  

• Like 3

Wow, I still use a lot of that stuff today.  I also have a B&M bean pot and have the rotisserie grill attachments as well as one for my mini oven. I have used both with great success. 

If all this doesn't make me feel old, I don't know what would.

I have lots of oil cloth table clothes, and a cast iron turkey, pig and cow.  Lots of cast iron pots and pans. Potholder loom as well. Still wear aprons when I am canning. Have quite a few of those. Wood cutting boards are a must. Use those a lot. I use the bacon drippings also. My bacon can is full again though. Grandson loves his bacon. I might have to put some in freezer if it can be frozen. Though I don't see why not. I have a few trivets as well that I use mostly during the holidays. I also have a collection of depression era cookbooks. 

• Like 2

Wow, I still use a lot of that stuff today.  I also have a B&M bean pot and have the rotisserie grill attachments as well as one for my mini oven. I have used both with great success. 

If all this doesn't make me feel old, I don't know what would.

I have lots of oil cloth table clothes, and a cast iron turkey, pig and cow.  Lots of cast iron pots and pans. Potholder loom as well. Still wear aprons when I am canning. Have quite a few of those. Wood cutting boards are a must. Use those a lot. I use the bacon drippings also. My bacon can is full again though. Grandson loves his bacon. I might have to put some in freezer if it can be frozen. Though I don't see why not. I have a few trivets as well that I use mostly during the holidays. I also have a collection of depression era cookbooks. 

True story…

DH gave me that in 1980, it was his moms.  I thought it was a cookie jar.  So, I filled it with cookies and put it on the counter.  A few weeks later, he wanted beans.  I got my pot out & proceeded to prepare the beans.  He asked, “ Where’s the haro?”  I replied, “What is a haro?”  He said, “Bean pot.”  I had no clue.  He said, “ That pot I gave you.”  Oh, no!    We still laugh about that.  Yes, he showed me how to use it, and years later, 1,000’s of meals later, it still works….  :icon19:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2