MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Locksmith question

How do I know if I need to change my locks, and what are the signs of wear and tear to look out for?

Can a locksmith recommend the best type of lock for my specific needs and budget?

How long does it typically take for a locksmith to install new locks on a door or window?

Can a locksmith also repair damaged locks, or is it always necessary to replace them?

What steps can I take to ensure the security of my property after a break-in or burglary, and how can a locksmith assist me in this process?

5 minutes ago, maymayms said:

How do I know if I need to change my locks, and what are the signs of wear and tear to look out for?

Can a locksmith recommend the best type of lock for my specific needs and budget?

How long does it typically take for a locksmith to install new locks on a door or window?

Can a locksmith also repair damaged locks, or is it always necessary to replace them?

What steps can I take to ensure the security of my property after a break-in or burglary learn more, and how can a locksmith assist me in this process?

thanks for any help

A lock costs and awful lot less than the locksmith's time to work on a damaged lock or doorknob. 

If you think it might be compromised, you should probably assume it has been, and treat it accordingly.

My preference is a deadbolt that is more than one inch long, but not all doors will allow this.  Also, they are hard to find and cost more than the standard deadbolt.  

The kind of deadbolt that requires a key on both sides is more secure, but if you have to leave in an emergency, like a fire or your house filling with poison fumes that confuse you, or a tornado, looking for a key that your confused mind hides the location of can eat up precious quarter-seconds that you need to be using to get outside with.  I normally buy the type with a twist lever on the inside and a key slot only on the outside.  I ALWAYS buy a deadbolt, even if it means I have to drill above the doorknob to make a place for it.  (No landlord ever referred to this as damage against my damage deposit, but I'm going back more than thirty years with this information.)

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The kind of deadbolt that requires a key on both sides is more secure, but if you have to leave in an emergency, like a fire or your house filling with poison fumes that confuse you, or a tornado, looking for a key that your confused mind hides the location of can eat up precious quarter-seconds that you need to be using to get outside with. 

My grandmother had that type of deadbolt on her front door. When she locked up at night she left the keys in the lock. That way she knew exactly where they were, did not have to search for them in her purse or elsewhere in the morning, and knew when she went to bed that she could get out of the house if she needed to.  :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1