MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I got busy this morning and pulled all the frozen rhubarb, from last summer, from the freezer to make Rhubarb/Jell-O jam.  I've made cherry so far.  Next will be strawberry.  In another week or two I'll be picking more rhubarb to make some desserts and then cut up more the freezer.

It's beginning.  How are you all coming?  Done anything yet?

• Like 4

Well I hope to have enough Rhubarb to do that next year, the plants I put in are growing! My mom used to make great rhubarb jam I hope I can get her to teach me next year when ours is ready.

I did make pumpkin bread from the pumpkin I froze last fall today. I still have several packages so it looks like I put up a years supply :) I'm also using yellow squash I froze last year and kale from my garden for tonight's dinner, a casserole with turkey, squash, spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese and paremesan cheese, and I put in a sprinkling of red onions and the kale. Everything but the sauce and cheese came from my freezer. 

• Like 2

That sounds good. Rhubarb pie is good also. I wonder if you could make rhubarb pie filling and can it for later. 

The only thing so far, I have canned this spring is pork, beef and hamburger. And meatballs. Haven't canned any squash or anything yet. 

• Like 1

I will follow what I did last year. I steam the stalks in a 3-pan steamer. I get gallons of juice and can it that way in pint jars. I could make jelly out of it but I just mix it with water, ice, and fizzy water and drink it. I've steamed so many fruits since the virus. I figure I'm getting more vitamin C than just a pill once a day and try to keep up on needed water intake.   :cele:

• Like 3

I got dandelion blossoms picked and cooked today to make jelly.  I'm too lazy to finish up so I've put the juice in the fridge until morning.  Just not nearly as ambitious as I used to be.   

Anyone else make dandelion jelly?  It's good.  How about dandelion bread.  Doesn't really taste different than other bread. I think it's just the idea.  I'll make some to take to a potluck Wednesday.

What are you planning for this week?

• Like 2

Not planning much of anything for the next couple of weeks. Working in yard and helping GD and her DH to move into new house starting this weekend. I think I will be doing more babysitting than anything else. 

After they get moved in, I am going to head down to the farm to see what they have. I am hoping for some fresh eggs also.