MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Washing machine suggestions

Help!

Any recommendations on new washing machines? Anyone buy a new one recently?

I go for basic appliances, no extra bells and whistles. I know I want a top loader, 2-3 load size options, a few different wash cycles (2 regular and a delicate), and a few water temperature selections, a bleach dispenser, a fabric softener dispenser and an extra rinse cycle.

I'm looking online at reviews and it seems like everything in our price range is junk. :shrug: Especially with all this "eco-energy-saving-government-pushing" stuff.

Never buying a GE again!

DH wants to be able to check under the agitator of any machine to make sure it doesn't have the cheapie pot metal ours does. I wonder how salespeople will respond to that....hey, if they want to make the sale....

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Be really careful buying top loaders now. All the idiotic "conservation" rules mean that companies will make *a* top loader to show that they offer them, or have something in a price range, but put no real design of any quality much less workmanship.

When DH and I were looking at washing machines a few years ago, Consumer Reports and other review sites just couldn't recommend any of the top load washers out there and keep a straight face. We got front loader HE stuff and does a really good job. No agitator so your clothes don't get caught up/stretched/abraded as much...which makes your husband's concern a moot point.

Depending on the layout of your laundry area it may or may not be an option... just remember than an "efficient" appliance ISN'T if it makes you do the same job twice.

The only complaint I have about mine is that the "done" chime sounds like something out of Teletubbies. :blink:

Electrolux is the only brand of front loader that offers a reversible door option. This was really important for me since I was planning on stacking mine.

As far as top loaders go the LG WT seems to be the front runner from all I have read. Good luck!!

I have friends that got LG and they say NEVER AGAIN ! I know of 2 families that say they just break down and the repairs are so costly.

I have Whirlpool. No problems, but I am not sure I like the front loader. They stink, too. Cannot seem to keep the smell out of it. Tried everything we can think of.

My daughter has a Kenmore top loader and it is amazing. Holds tons of clothes, it works so well.

AH, you are so funny. When I looked to get a wringer washer, the local stores told me the indian reservations have bought them out and they are so very expensive now.

If at all possible, find the "older" technology.

99% of washers available are 'water savers'. They use spray to rinse and some even use the last rinse cycle for your next wash and only fill a fraction of the drum with water for the wash cycle.

We got the Maytag Centennial, has several wash cycles, including heavy duty. The store told me to look for ones that ask if you have added fabric softener, they will fill on the rinse cycle.

Drawbacks, the locking lid and it takes 2 to 3 times longer to wash a load of clothes. It took some time to get used to it. I am still looking for an older washer.

Thanks!

Do regular appliance stores sell wringer washers?

When we had the repairman here last week, I asked about the front loading washers, especially about the mold/mildew problems I've heard about. He's the one repairing them so I figured he'd be more honest than a salesman about them.

He's constantly working on them and from the impression I got, doesn't seem to recommend them. :shrug: His comments:

-They're not for basements. They shouldn't be sub-ground level. More mold and mildew in them then.

-Once you get that smell in them, there's nothing that gets rid of it. You have to buy a new washer. He said some of the newer ones now have a clean-the-washer cycle that can completely fill the washer with hot water.

-They're not washers you can toss a load in and walk away. You should be near.

-Things being left in pockets literally destroys them. Even small toys. (I've washed everything from shotgun shells to change to survey pins and magnetic survey nails, so that one really stood out at me!)

-You have to pay close attention to making sure it's a balanced load. Putting 5 dress shirts and a towel in is going to make it "walk".

Thanks!

For the heck of it I went on some Spanish-language websites and I wasn't able to find any. Unless you wanted to order from online auction sites in Peru, or if Tijuana or Juarez have Craigslist boards... may as well do Ebay. :shrug:

Thanks, HazelStone! We're going to look at washers this weekend. There's a used appliance store I want to stop in. While I don't think I'll find a wringer washer there, maybe I can find a used washer in decent condition that is older (before everything was use less energy/water).

Looking at new washers online...there's many complaints about washers not washing clothes clean or leaving clothes soapy. Every year as washers become more "energy efficient" they wash less.

Oh, I saw a manual washer on Sears' website http://www.sears.com.../p-00828646000P

I hadn't seen that one before. I scrolled thru the pics. It kind of looks like a giant salad spinner.

Thanks!

When we had the repairman here last week, I asked about the front loading washers, especially about the mold/mildew problems I've heard about. He's the one repairing them so I figured he'd be more honest than a salesman about them.

He's constantly working on them and from the impression I got, doesn't seem to recommend them. :shrug: His comments:

-They're not for basements. They shouldn't be sub-ground level. More mold and mildew in them then.

-Once you get that smell in them, there's nothing that gets rid of it. You have to buy a new washer. He said some of the newer ones now have a clean-the-washer cycle that can completely fill the washer with hot water.

-Things being left in pockets literally destroys them. Even small toys. (I've washed everything from shotgun shells to change to survey pins and magnetic survey nails, so that one really stood out at me!)

-You have to pay close attention to making sure it's a balanced load. Putting 5 dress shirts and a towel in is going to make it "walk".

BOLDING MINE

Thanks for the info! I keep waiting for my old washer to die and then I'll be on the hunt too. Mine will go in the basement so this clinches the debate for me on top/front loader.

Decision, decisions....

We went to look at washers today. The only new one I'd consider is a Speed Queen. It's double the price of the used ones I looked at, though.

So I can get a used washer for $300-350 with a 1 year warranty. The ones I looked at were older ones, so no eco-crap so they'd clean better than most of the new ones in the stores.

The Speed Queen is $700, 3 year warranty. It's better than most of the new junk out there, made in Wisconsin; no electronic stuff, just turn dials; fills the tub up the whole way for both washing and rinsing cycles (you pick the water level). I didn't have them pull the agitator off, but would before buying if that what I decide on. DH is no help....:gaah: and has no opinion.

Thanks!

BOLDING MINE

Thanks for the info! I keep waiting for my old washer to die and then I'll be on the hunt too. Mine will go in the basement so this clinches the debate for me on top/front loader.

You're welcome. I found that odd, I mean, most people have their laundry area in their basements. Why aren't they telling you that they're not good in basements? I know, 'cause they are trying to sell you one. But still.... Anyway, that was the repair guy's comments so I thought I'd share.

After much pondering, praying, researching online and calling my aunt for advice, I bought the Speed Queen. It'll be delivered Wed.

When we went back to the store, I asked the salesman if he would mind pulling the agitator out so I could see underneath in the tub. He wasn't able to get it out. I asked if he'd call the manufacturer to find out what's under it (material-wise). He did! :thumbs:

Since he was on hold for a long time, I explained my current washer situation and me being allergic to that cheap pot metal. He has problems with metals, too! He has to wear an undershirt tucked it or else he reacts to metal belt buckles. We determined the part on my current washer that keeps corroding is a lint filter. On the Speed Queen, that part is plastic. According to the company, the only metals that my clothes and the water would come into contact with are the inner stainless steel wash tub and the outer tub which is enamel coated.

This is a local, very small appliance store and I felt we got much better service than any of the larger stores. :happy0203:

Before going there....

I had called another small appliance store about 45 minutes away to check their prices on Speed Queen washers. I also explained by current problem. That store also sells GE. That salesman told me that that part in the GEs doesn't usually corrode until the washer is 7-8 years old. [Hey, wouldn't that be after the warranties ran out?] So they do corrode....it's not just me. He did ask about well water, and if it goes through a softener, and then said my well water must be causing the reaction.

[That or hey, maybe GE could just not put crap parts in their washers! :soapbox: ]

other stuff for anyone that might be washer shopping sometime soon:

The place I bought this washer from used sell exclusively Maytag. I mentioned to the salesman that I heard Maytag got bought by Whirlpool. He said yeah, that's why we've gotten away from Maytag. Apparently, Whirlpool is throwing the Maytag name on some real junk. People are getting upset because Maytag has a certain reputation and now it's no longer quality stuff. Also, while it says "Made in USA", most Maytag stuff is just assembled in the US while most parts are made overseas.

Poor OutOftheOrdinary. You've had quite a time of this. I hope by buying higher than you'd hoped, you will get quality in things that you need to get rid of the rash! :hug3:

For others who might be looking, the Lehman's catalog has a new version of the old MANUAL James washer. I believe they also sell a wringer washer. Lehman's is one of the more expensive ways to obtain merchandise tho.... :rolleyes:

My folks bought me the 'cheaper' line of Kenmore/Sears. Can't remember the name of that line. It has been very good for several years now. Has the dials and options. No electronic doodads. :thumbs::thumbs:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

But the government has decided we do not know how to wash clothes.

What was bought several years ago is a different story that today.

I think my 2010 Crosley washer is putting out adequate water to wash the clothes

but some have said that their new 2011 washers only use 6 inches of water for a full

load and guess what the clothes are not clean.

I do not like that I am not the mistress of my machine.I can not open the lid

with out fighting for my rights.

You have to push the button for "so" long for it to quit so you can raise the lid

what else am I to do if the washer gets out of balance?

I would love to have a wringer washer again.

Not sure I want a James although they are all right, if you want a lot of exercise.

my sister has her second one as she wore the first one out. Hers did not have a wringer

so she wrung clothes out by hand. Since it was out doors you can imagine the agony of

winter washing....

Yeah, it's one thing to slide backwards into "Walton's Mountain" but....I really would rather not go all the way back to "Little House on the Prairie.

But watch out for your buttons on the wringer/washers!

{sigh} I can't believe modern women are reversing direction on such things. :sad-smiley-012:

I :wub: my dump-it-in-and-forget-it washer!!! I remember our whole family gathered around to watch my mom's first automatic washer. She would NEVER want to go back to even the wringer washer...out on the lean-to porch...winter/summer....heating water on the stove inside.....lifting heavy wet overalls and sheets..... :grinning-smiley-044:

Oh...I get WHY we might have to reverse back....I just don't like it.

MtRider [Guess I got one of the last without the NEW AND IMPROVED UPDATES....sheeeesh! ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Poor OutOftheOrdinary. You've had quite a time of this. I hope by buying higher than you'd hoped, you will get quality in things that you need to get rid of the rash! :hug3:

Thank you, Mt Rider! :hug3:

But the government has decided we do not know how to wash clothes.

What was bought several years ago is a different story that today.

I know! The control is unbelievable. From lightbulb types to how our washing machines work....:angry: