MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making Wine

I made wine back in Y2K. I'm thinking that the recipe came from Cat. It involved a juice concentrate, a gallon jug and a balloon. Apparently, my nephew quite enjoyed it! He confessed years later that he alway snuck some wine from my cache at family gatherings. I quite liked it myself, but thought it was evaporating! Ask Cat. if it wasn't her, I'll look for my recipe.

I can probably get you some info from a friend of ours....he and his wife (mostly him though LOL!) tried a pluthera of different homemades this year (strawberry, watermelon, cantaloupe, grape, you name it, they tried using it to make wine!

Shawna

Quote:
she was more anxious for him to be done with his experiments so she could get rid of the fruit flies

LOL, let us know which flavors worked the best, and how they did it.
Quote:
I made wine back in Y2K. I'm thinking that the recipe came from Cat. It involved a juice concentrate, a gallon jug and a balloon. Apparently, my nephew quite enjoyed it! He confessed years later that he alway snuck some wine from my cache at family gatherings. I quite liked it myself, but thought it was evaporating! Ask Cat. if it wasn't her, I'll look for my recipe.

I want to see this recipe!

Goatherder, I found this recipe on the internet a few months ago, I have not tried it yet or for that matter any wine. lol thats on one of these days list sigh.

Homemade Wine

Submitted by: msgypsylee

"This is an easy recipe for homemade wine. You can choose whatever flavor you like but my favorite is the red. You will need a sterile milk jug, a large latex balloon and a rubber band to complete the project. This Wine is a bit stronger than regular table wine. Its great for cooking as well as drinking." Original recipe yield: 1 gallon.

INGREDIENTS:

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

4 cups sugar

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen juice concentrate - any flavor except citrus, thawed

3 1/2 quarts cold water, or as needed

DIRECTIONS:

Combine the yeast, sugar and juice concentrate in a gallon jug. Fill the jug the rest of the way with cold water. Rinse out a large balloon, and fit it over the opening of the jug. Secure the balloon with a rubber band.

Place jug in a cool dark place. Within a day you will notice the balloon starting to expand. As the sugar turns to alcohol the gasses released will fill up the balloon. When the balloon is deflated back to size the wine is ready to drink. It takes about 6 weeks total.

Note:

Use a frozen juice concentrate without added sweeteners for best results.

==========================================================

Plum Lum or Cherry Cordial

1 pound small red or purple plums, Italian prune plums

1 pound cube sugar

1 bottle of gin or vodka ( 42 proof works)

Wash and pick each piece of fruit. Place the fruit in a covered container like an apothocary jar. add sugar and gin or vodka. stir to mix well. set closed container in a cool, dark and dry place for at least 3 months. During the three months you may stir the mixture once or twice. at the end of the three months, drain and serve as an after dinner cordial. store in a corked container or one that has a tight fitting lid. Mrs fuller uses Bing cherries also starts in July when the fruit is ripe. collects fancy bottles till Oct. then puts them in the bottles where it will rest till Christmas. the fruit can be eaten also. but don't over do it .

The cordial recipe I had gotten out of the newspaper a long time ago. Sorry I can not tell you if it is great cuz I didn't make it either. Gotta get to that dang list soon.

If you do a google search on home made wine you will come up with many sights. hope this is helpful.

alldoneandready

Goatherder I knew I would forget to ask you when I posted before I need to ask you something so pardon my ignorance, I remember mogan david wine as a child my dad would let us have a little and I do mean little (lol) glass rarely on special hoiday meals, we thought it was a special treat. I didn't know that they still make it. Do they still call it mogan david or is that Md or Mad dog now. I would love to be able to get some again to put in hot tea when I get the sniffles its so warming. It would sure bring back of a lot of memories of my Mom and Dad. Thanks so much

alldoneandready

I have recently told my husband, I wanted to learn to make wine, what good timing!!Thanks for the recipes!! My Granddad used to make different kinds, only got a sip, but they were sooooooo good!! My fav. wine is a shiraz, by Yellow Tail, about 7.00 a bottle, good Australlian wine, and I love the Boonesfarm wines also!!! Expensive wines don't seem to be any better in MHO.

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur

1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups Irish whiskey, brandy, rum,

bourbon, scotch, or rye whiskey

1 (14-ounce) can Eagle® Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

Condensed Milk (NOT EVAPORATED MILK)

2 cups (1 pint) Whipping Cream or Coffee Cream

2 tablespoons chocolate-flavored syrup

2 teaspoons instant coffee

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

In blender container, combine ingredients; blend until smooth. Serve over ice. Garnish as desired. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Stir before servings.

KAHLUA

3 c. sugar

2 c. water

1 c. boiling water

1/2 c. instant coffee (espresso)

1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)

1 quart vodka

"Boil sugar and water for 20 minutes, uncovered, then cool. Mix the boiling water and coffee together and let cool. Then, mix everything together in a 1/2 gallon jar. Let stand at room temperature for 2 weeks, shake occasionally. This will also keep for several months with or without refridgeration. I used to just keep in our cupboard designated for alcohol.

KAHLUA 4 c. sugar 4 c. water

2/3 c. instant coffee granules (espresso)

25 oz. rye whiskey

vanilla bean

Heat and stir sugar, water and coffee granules in saucepan until mixture boils. Boil 3 minutes without stirring. Cool. Pour into 2 quart jar. Add rye whiskey and vanilla bean. Cover. Let stand for 3 weeks. Remove vanilla bean. Makes 12 cups liqueur. Will last in fridge for several months. ENJOY!

Homemade Kahlua

6 cups sugar

6 cups water

20 tsp instant coffee

1/2 gallon vodka

12 tsp pure vanilla

Mix sugar, water, coffee together and bring to slow boil. Turn heat down and

simmer 1 hour. Remove heat, cover liquid with plastic wrap.

Let sit for 12 hours, then remove wrap (it will pick up film from the top).

Add vodka and vanilla, stir well. Bottle in dark bottles.

Makes 3 quarts. Drinkable immediately

Oh my.....I adore Irish Creme over ice, and Cavey loves Kahlua. Thanks for the recipes.

The recipe that ADAR posted for wine sounds like the one I used. I made one batch that was peach something, and one that was grape.

Archived