MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

gonna try baking bread..

wish me luck ... as of yet i havn't been able to make a good loaf of bread...

so far right off i groofed!! went on the net to fine a plain ole white bread recipie thought i did stated to follow it and oops!! it called for wheat gluten... don't have any not what i was looking for... so started to see if i caould fine a recipie i swear there isn't one... got tried of looking on the net so got out carla emerly's book and got one of those recipies added to my goof. now the dough is sitting there resting for a bit. then i will knead it. there is a nice winter storm going on and i figure if i got to run extra heat i wanted to make it work for us and add a nice comforting smell in the home too. hope this bread turns out as i want it to go with the beef stew i have planned out for supper.

ooooooh... what a nice feeling, that dough is when it smooths out....got it sitting to raise,,, next time in town i got to see about getting a big bowl... these med to sm mixing bowls jsut don't do it....

You know the dough is "right" when you knead it and it stretches without tearing easily.

Smells so good when it is baking. Put a little shortning on your hands, the area near your thumb and thumb joint, that's where you come in contact with the dough the most, when you get ready to form the loaves and it won't stick to your hands.

Well? Well? Well? How did it turn out?

I haven't baked homemade bread in years (except quickbreads). Used to bake all the time when we were growing up. A good recipe makes all the difference.

When my kids were little I tried baking bread a couple of times, used my GM recipe. It was ok, but the best bread I'd ever had was my Great GM. Her recipe was either never written down or lost when her house burnt. Well, I was going through Carla's Encyclopedia one day and this recipe jumped out at me. It had to be just about like GGM. I remember when I read it, thinking, "It's so simple." I wrote it down somewhere, but I think it just had-flour, yeast, water, salt, and butter. I remember my grandma saying, "Don't use anything more than necessary, but don't skimp on the butter."

wellll .... the bread didn't rise much at all after three hours of waiting so turn on the oven and set the bread on the oven door for a little bit it rose a little more but not much not like it is suppose to as i can't stand to waste anything went ahead and baked it.... turned out very heavy but good... and well taste better with butter honey and a jug of wine...

don't know what i did wrong...

Quote:
wellll .... the bread didn't rise much at all after three hours of waiting so turn on the oven and set the bread on the oven door for a little bit it rose a little more but not much not like it is suppose to as i can't stand to waste anything went ahead and baked it.... turned out very heavy but good... and well taste better with butter honey and a jug of wine...
Guest Guest
Quote:
turned out very heavy but good...

I had the same problem the last time I made bread. I've been trying different recipes while waiting for my mother to find her recipe. (Pixie, if you have it, please post it, or at least email it to me, k? )
~Jo

Thyra this is the one that always works for me..

Never Fail Bread

2 Cups Hot tap water

3 T yeast

2/3 c. sugar

2 t salt

1/4 c. oil

5-6 c. bread flour

put hot water in a bowl, dissolve sugar and salt, sprinkle yeast on top,

let sit til bubbly. about 20 mins. Add oil, then flour, 1 C at a time. Knead 3-4 mins and let rest 15 mins.

Knead 1 more time and put into a greased bowl turning to grease other side.

cover w/ clean tea towel. let rise til doubled. punch down and divide in 2 equal parts. form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans,

oil tops cover and let rise 1 hr.(covered) bake in a preheated 325 oven for 30 mins.

Here is our favorite

Adobe Bread

5 tsps dry yeast

1/2 C warm water

5 TBL olive oil

2 1/2 tsp salt

8 C flour

2 C water

Place warm water in a warmed bowl. (water about 110 degrees). Sprinkle with yeast and let it sit 15 minutes. If it isn't "softened" or bubbly, ignore it another 10. Stir in olive oil and salt. Add the flour alternating with the water. Knead for 10 minutes if by hand or 4 if by mixer.

Form into ball, place in greased bowl. Brush with a little more olive oil. Cover with a damp tea towel. Place in a warm location - the microwave with the door cracked open so the light is on is ideal. Let rise 60 to 90 minutes or until double in bulk. Punch down. Knead on a floured board 5 minutes.

Divide dough in half and shape into 2 round loaves. Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with corn meal. Put the loaves on, then cover with a dry cloth and let rise in a warm place again - 45 to 60 minutes. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes or until done.

Now.... I'm off to make some myself!

yo j o! i did have mamas recipe, but it is not like i remembered it as a kid. mom changed it too, and substitutes ingrediants. honey instead of sugar for example.

here is teh bread recipe i use most, it is soooo yummi, and i change and add thigns as i like and it is very very yummi.

pull apart cheese buns

6 cups flour

1 envelope quick yeast (2 and a quarter teaspoons)

1 tbsp sugar

2 tsp salt

1.5 cups shredded old cheddar cheese

1 cup warm milk

1 cup warm water

3 tbsp of oil (canola or whatever you like best)

1/3 cup butter melted

1 cup parmasan cheese.

combine 3 cups of flour, yeast, sugar and salt in one large bowl. mix well. toss in cheddar cheese. add milk water and oil. beat on med speed for 3 minutes. gradually stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough. knees dough adding more flour as nesscary untill dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky. place in greased bowl, and grease the top and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. punch down, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

cut dough into 40 pieces and shape into balls. dip balls in melted butter and coat in parmasan cheese arrange balls in 2 layers in a well greased 10 inch tube pan. cover and let rise for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

bake on lower rack at 375 f for 35-45 minutes or untill golden brown. cool 5 minutes then remove from pan

i don't put them in a tube pan, i dont have one. i make them like regular buns, only i add onions and flax seeds that were previously fried in butter. i only coat the top of each bun with butter and cheese, and it tastes awsome with garlic butter on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh, when i make bisquick buisquits, i add grated cheese as well. sometimes i even wrap the dough around a chunk of cheese so that when you cut open the buiscuit, it oozes melted cheese. it is sooo yummi!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i remember how mom made her bread. she would have hot water and yeast in a big glass bowl, and then she would add the butter, and stir untill the hot water melted the butter. then she would add honey and stir that in and start adding the dry ingrediants. that is as close to the recipe i can give you jo.

Guest Guest

Thanks for the recipes!

Quote:
1 envelope quick yeast (2 and a quarter teaspoons)

I thought that 1 envelope was the same as 1 tablespoon or 3 teaspoons...but you're putting in less? And how do I know if I have "quick yeast"?

I'm clueless!

~Jo

Archived