MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preparing for Family/Friends Meeting

Mother

The last couple of weeks I've been asking family members, friends, and businesses about being prepared for the Pandemic. Like a lot of other Mrs. S members I'm finding that some either haven't even heard of it or they think it's alot of hype. But surprisingly enough, I'm finding a lot of people who are interested and concerned.

Unfortunately, I'm also hearing that they just can't afford to stock up, or they have so much stress and worry in their lives now that they just don't feel capable of taking on one more thing. My first thought was, "well, I'm doing it and we have worries and lack of money too" but then I really looked at these answers and the people who gave them. These are not uncaring, nor uneducated people. They KNOW they should be prepared, they believe in it but they truly ARE stressed with life and finances.

I love these family and friends very much but I realized that there was no way that my DH and I could possibly be stocked up enough for everyone so I took a step back to see what else I might be able to do to help.

Because of this, I will be setting up a meeting for family and friends in a couple of weeks. At this meeting I hope to be able to present them with the bare essential facts about the possible pandemic so as not to overwhelm them but enough for them to be aware of the total disruptions that could occur. Then I would like to give them ways and means to be able to stock up for themselves, at least the basics, on a limited budget and with limited stress.

Nana has some great info for doing that, so do a lot of the rest of you, and I will be using some of that. But I'm also hoping that you will be willing to help me with this and then in turn, take the info and present it, either in meeting form as I am or just in printed form, to those you feel it will help in your own community.

This is what I believe would be needed to help those people to be at least moderately prepared:

1. A VERY basic list of inexpensive, preferrably nutritious, foods that would sustain a family of four for at least one month for the cost of approximately $40 or very close to that. I would be taking into consideration that most of these people would already have basic staples such as spices, soda, catsup and etc. Is this possible? If so, what would you suggest.

2. A list of ten very basic Non-food items considered absolutely necessary to in-home isolation in case of a pandemic with disruption to all services.

3. I'd also like to present them with numerous things they can do for free to get better prepared. (like filling water containers and taking inventory of what they could use as substitutes for things like heat, lights,etc.)

I know this seems excessivly simple to those of us who have been preparing for a long time but for those feeling the pressures and feeling unequal to the task, this could mean life or death to their families. If you have any suggestions for these, or even other ideas for this meeting, it would be great if you could post them here for all to see and use if they felt it would help even one person be a bit more prepared.

Thanks for listening and your help.

Guest Guest

Okay, M... I'll give it a shot!

1. A VERY basic list of inexpensive, preferrably nutritious, foods that would sustain a family of four for at least one month for the cost of approximately $40 or very close to that. I would be taking into consideration that most of these people would already have basic staples such as spices, soda, catsup and etc. Is this possible? If so, what would you suggest.

25 lbs. rice $8.00

4 - 42 oz. old-fashioned oats $8.00

2 - 10 lb. bags chicken hindquarters $7.80 (39 cents per lb.)

25 lbs. pinto beans $9.00

10 lbs pasta $5.00

20 cans tomato sauce $5.00

total - $42.80

Not much variety but, it will sustain life...

2. A list of ten very basic Non-food items considered absolutely necessary to in-home isolation in case of a pandemic with disruption to all services.

1-toilet paper

2-91% isopropyl-type alcohol (for can heaters, cooking source)

3-trash bags

4-oil lamps & candles

5-cleaning supplies

6-vitamin C

7-radio & batteries

8-cat litter

9- 5 gal. bucket w/seat for toilet

10-first aid kit

3. I'd also like to present them with numerous things they can do for free to get better prepared. (like filling water containers and taking inventory of what they could use as substitutes for things like heat, lights,etc.)

make newspaper logs for fireplace or cooking on BBQ

collect pinecones- same reason as above

save dryer lint & sawdust to make firestarters & small pressed logs w/ candle ends & pieces

save plastic grocery bags

save juice & soda bottles for water

save metal coffee cans for heat source & cooking - I have instructions in 'Are You Really Ready?' in the emergency heating & cooking post.

learn to bake bread & biscuits

can any leftovers possible

keep laundry done as much as possible

fill empty laundry soap, bleach, cleaning liquid bottles with water - do not rinse- and store them

hmmm... that's all I can think of right now... maybe more later

Guest Guest

Mother, you are so awesome...what a wonderful way to help those you care about.

And Nana? Brilliant! You are so good at taking something like this that can be so over whelming and making it simple, concise and doable.

Me? I just know how to be...

lol

. A list of ten very basic Non-food items considered absolutely necessary to in-home isolation in case of a pandemic with disruption to all services

Could we squeeze a non-electric can opener in that list? The P38's only cost around 60 cents. And maybe some matches or a lighter or two to light the candles and oil lamps?

Just a suggestion.

Oh Wow Nana, awesome. Don't you want to come speak to my group???? You have nailed this so well. It's exactly what I was looking for but wasn't sure it could be done. I can hardly wait to hear from others.

Thank you so much for this info and for being so prompt with a reply. I'm pretty sure there's some members out there that can use this to help them get a start as well. They can always add more later.

Adding them Waiting, Nothing really scary about this list so those are good suggestions.

Mother, I just found this on another board and thought you might find it handy for sharing with your friends and family:

Disinfecting Water

Boiling water instructions are issued after a public water utility has lost pressure in its water moving systems, making it possible for contaminants to enter water lines. Pay attention to local authorities on the status of your water supply.

1- Use only bottled or disinfected water for drinking, cooking, to brush your teeth, for cleaning contact lenses, until the public water supplies have been declared safe. The danger with tainted public supplies is from bacterial contamination that can cause severe diarrhea. Untreated diarrhea can be life threatening.

2- Water that you have saved in bottles before the storm should be good for up to six months, if properly stored. Proper storage means leaving no air in the container and storing in the dark. When in doubt, disinfect it.

3- To prevent the spread of disease, wash your hands frequently with disinfected water and soap.

4- Use water stored in the bathtub, from the pool or from the tap to flush the toilet. Don't drink or cook with water from the pool.

5- Bathing or showering with tap water is fine, but don't let it get in your eyes ears or mouth. If you shave with tap water, dab any cuts with antiseptic.

How to Boil Disinfect water:

1- Boil at a rolling boil for at least10 minutes

2- Let cool, add a pinch of salt for taste.

3- Pour the water back and forth between clean containers to reduce the flat taste.

Liquid Household Chlorine Bleach: (unreliable in killing Giardia cysts)

Normal household bleach, a solution of 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite, can be used to kill germs in water (except tuberculosis germs). It should be standard household bleach with no extra whiteners, brighteners, or scents of any kind like lemon. Now if the only active ingredient in your bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite, it is suitable for water sterilization.

Be sure to sterilize and clean your water container, its lid, spout, funnel after each use. Pre-filter your water, if necessary, with commercial sized coffee filters.

Here's how you do it

1. Add 1/2 tsp. to 5 gallons of water if it is clear (or 8 drops of chlorine bleach to each gallon of clear water) or 1 tsp. to 5 gallons of water if the water is cloudy.

2. Allow your water to sit at least 30 minutes.

3. If water does not have a slight chlorine odor, repeat the dosage and let stand for 15 minutes.

Powder Chlorine:

There is a storage problem with Liquid Household Chlorine Bleach, Chlorine gas will bleed through plastic bottles, and storing bleach in a warm place will speed up the gas leakage. When this happens you will have no idea how much to put in the water.

You can make your own bleach by purchasing swimming pool "shock treatment" with 65% Calcium Hypochlorite and no additional anti-fungal or clarifiers. Thoroughly mix 24.5 grams (10 Tablespoons) of powder to one gallon of water for a 5.25% bleach solution. Five pounds of dry pool bleach costs about $10-15, which will make about 92 gallons of bleach, that will sterilize 706,560 gallons of clear water, or 353,280 gallons of cloudy water. If you allocate 3 gallons per person per day for drinking, food preparation, and sanitation, $15 will take care of 100 people for one year!

Iodine Tablets (Tetraglycine hydroperiodide)

- Follow directions on the package. Normally, use 1 tablet 8 mg for each quart of water.

- Make sure the tablet dissolves completely; mix thoroughly.

- Let stand for 30 minutes.

Liquid Iodine Preparations: (safe for 3-6 months use but questionable for long-term usage. Must not be used by persons allergic to iodine, with active thyroid disease, or pregnant women.)

Add to each quart of Clear Water

Iodine Topical Solution 2% Iodine (contain 2.4% sodium iodide) Amount per Quart 10 drops.

Iodine Tincture 2% Iodine (contain 2.4% sodium iodide) Amount per Quart 10 drops.

Lugol's Solution 5% Iodine (contains 10% potassium iodide) Amount per Quart 4 drops.

Povidone-Iodine 10% Iodine (non-toxic polymer that binds iodine) Amount per Quart 4 drops.

Iodine Water (4 to 8 grams pure Iodine crystal in 1 fl. oz water) Amount per Quart 10 milliliters

1- Mix thoroughly.

2- Let stand for 30 minutes.

For cloudy water, Double the chemical dose or double the time.

Iodine crystals in plain water works well and it lasts an extremely long time. The amount of iodine dissolved in the water is highly temperature-dependent, and is problematic in a cold environment.

Halazone tablets: requires 6 tablets per liter for 1 hour contact, poor flavor, and the tablets rapidly lose effectiveness when exposed to warm, humid air.

Note: The addition of a small amount of vitamin C (50 mg) to the ready to drink water will render the iodine water nearly flavorless!

Referances:

http://www.stormsurvival.homestead.com/Dis...ting_Water.html

Thomas E. Dietz, MD Emergency & Wilderness Medicine

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/water.html

Thanks Teaberry, this will make a good hand out sheet for them to read when they have a minute or at least to have on hand.

Seems I've made an impression with some people. I had one call this morning and ask if they could bring friends.

Teaberry, somehow I missed your previous post. Sorry I didn't answer the questiions in that one first. I'm going to be adding your suggestions to Nana's and Waitings too. Thanks.

As for not letting anyone know I'm prepping, that's going to be pretty hard if I want to get others doing it too. As for how MUCH I have, that's a different story. Dh and I have been discussing this very issue off and on. What do we do if people we know, and care about, show up at our doorstep? Family will be welcome but they will already know the ways and means when we get done with this meeting. We hope to set up some guidelines for them to come here, or in the case of my DS and DDIL who will be going to stay with her family (who will also be included in this meeting BTW) We will be discussing such things as clothing, food, personals, quarantines, what to watch for in route and etc.

Those others who come to the meeting will, hopefully, take the message to heed and prepare themselves. One couple is planning for many family members staying with them and wants to set up their own guidlines to give to their family. We will be formulating some of this at the meeting.

I'm sure there will be a lot to cover but I intend to keep it as straight forward as possible, as I really do not want to put more pressure on those that are having enough troubles already. I want to leave them with the feeling that they are MORE in control of the situation. If they feel we need a second meeting then we can do that too.

I'm also hoping to get many of these people to attend an April 18th avian Flu session at our local college just before our meeting date. It's titled "Bird Flu and Human Health, Why the Concern?" This is being hosted by the college, the local medical center, the University of Iowa College of Public Health and the University of Iowa Alumni. That way we will have more information on what the government is doing and what is suggested before our own meeting.

When I started the idea of this meeting it was meant to be just family so that we could do some family planning. It seems to have taken on a life of it's own however and I'm not sure what it will turn into. Hopefully, a positive influence for others to be prepared for whatever comes along.

By the way, there will be CHOCOLATE at this meeting. Got to raise the seratonin levels so that no one gets stressed out, you know.

This would be items I would add to the basic if there is time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oil and shortning

powdered chicken and beef base

powdered milk

instant pudding

raisins

potato flakes

dry veg soup mix

flour and baking powder (for biscuits)

Adding the milk instant pudding and raisins to rice makes a pretty fair pudding.

potato flakes added to soup will thicken it and add neutrients.

paking powder biscuits will replace some or all of the bread

If they place an ored together they can save on containers of chicken and beef base as well as dry vegetable soup mix

These could be added in at about an additional $60 to Nana's list.

These would be great additions, Lois, and some of the items they may already have on hand. It would add a lot of variety to their diet but would not be absolutely necessary if they didn't have the funds to get them. Nothing threatening or difficult in this list either. That's great.

Forming a small coop will help with the cost of dry preps.

If each member can put in 5 to 7 dollars depending on the number

Working together, the cost of shipping is less per person.

This means that every week each participant pays in a $ or two

Until there is enough for the order, then it is ordered.

It makes it much more manageable for tight budgets.

For instance at Walton Feed http://waltonfeed.com/pak.html#soup

Item No: U060 - Soup Starter Pak

9 lbs $35.95 - Pack Contains...

Item Qty Description

G009 1 Tomato-Powder 18oz #2.5 can

G073 1 Bouillon-Chicken 31oz #2.5 can

G071 1 Bouillon-Beef 29oz #2.5 can

G015 1 Celery-4 oz #2.5 can

G007 1 Onion-Chopped 12oz #2.5 can

G017 1 Peppers-Mixed 5 oz #2.5 can

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Item No: U061 - Fruit Pak

6 lbs $41.95 - Pack Contains...

Item Qty Description

U021 1 Fruit-Apple Slices 5 oz #2.5 Can

G047 1 Fruit-Strawberry Flv Apple Flk 11oz #2.5 can

G045 1 Fruit-Peach Flv Apple Flakes 11oz #2.5 can

G031 1 Fruit-Fruit Galaxy 12oz #2.5 can

U019 1 Fruit-Banana Slices 9 oz #2.5 Can

G033 1 Fruit-Applesauce 12oz #2.5 can

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Item No: U062 - Cooking Aid Pak

28 lbs $85.25 - Pack Contains...

Item Qty Description

R001 1 Milk-Instant non fat 60oz #10 can

J003 1 Cheese-Blend 65oz #10 can

J015 1 Milk-Buttermilk Powder 68oz #10 can

J011 1 Eggs-Whole 48oz #10 can 108 Eggs

J077 1 Mix-White Cream Sauce 63oz #10 can

J013 1 Margarine-Powder 44oz #10 can

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or just get the larger container of individual items

This sounds like a great way to stock up for some of us. I've not been to that web site for years, but I'll go check it out to see what we might be able to do collectively that we couldn't do alone.

Reading your post, Lois, it also made me realize that it might be possible for us to buy other things in bulk and divvy them up after we get them. I recently ordered 50 # of oatmeal for Dh and I for 71 cents a pound from our local HyVee store's health food section. It makes me think of what else we might order in bulk that way. Or maybe even share the cost of a sucky thingy (vaccuum sealer)[as Westy so lovingly called it :sassing

• 11 months later...

I don't have any links for this but I use candle ends, remelted, to make new candles or fire starters. There is a lot of info on candle making on the web. I believe there is some on Mrs. S also. Just do a search.

You can find info on fire starters on the web too. Basically it's a process that combines the wax with another burnable material to form a long burning starter. There's various ways to do it. You can use tuna or similar flat cans. Take strips of plain corragated cardboard or strips of newspapers the same height as the can and roll them in a circle that will fit loosely inside the can. Pour melted wax carefully and slowly into the can, letting the cardboard or paper soak up the wax. You can use these as emergency flames right in the can or pop them out (after they have set up and cooled) and use them as fire starters. You can also mix the melted wax with sawdust and/or dryer lint and pour it into the cans or into cardboard egg carton bottoms. (Don't use styrofoam ones) When these have cooled you can use them much like the boughten fire starters. The egg carton bottom ones are especially nice as you can just tear off one or two sections for use and the cardboard on the outside is easy to light. I often use the tops of the cartons as the cardboard strips for the cans. You only need to hold a match or other flame to any of these to get them burning and they stay burning for a long enough time to get other wood started.

Hope this makes sense as I'm not quite awake as I write this.

BTW. I used much of the information you find in this thread at my family and friends meeting and it met with great success. Of the 20 some people that attended, over half of them are now pretty well on their way to having a handle on being ready. Many of those who attended already had been fairly well stocked up simply because that's how my family lives normally. I would say that only about three of them haven't done anything but they at least are aware of the situation so I have hopes for them yet.

Hope this helps.

bighug

FIRE STARTERS

An inexpensive, yet effective fire starter can be made from cardboard egg cartons. Fill the wells with lint from a clothes dryer. Use a small dry pine twig stuck into middle as a wick. Pour melted paraffin over the entire carton, saturating the lint each well.

To start a fire, simply tear off one well and light the pine twig. Add kindling and soon you'll have a blazing fire. Since this fire starter is water-resistant, it is especially useful in wet weather.

Yup, this is from the boyscout merit badge training! LOL

Archived