MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm looking to expand my herb garden...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I know what to plant for cooking, but for other purposes, what would y'all suggest I plant?

I'm in the process of ordering some seeds, so lemme know your thoughts!

Darlene, great minds think alike. I am wanting to start an herb garden for things other than just cooking. I want a medicinal herb garden but I don't know where to start. Please help us out here ladies.

http://res2.agr.ca/London/herb/index_e.htm

ANGELICA - Dried leaves are used to make an infusion (tea) to improve energy, stimulate circulation and reduce flatulence. Has antibacterial and antifungal qualities.

BASIL, SWEET - Steep leaves in water for a few minutes to make a tea to help indigestion. Make a cold-oil infusion to massage sore muscles.

CALENDULA - Flowers make a healing mouthwash for the gums. Mix a cream using calendula petals and plantain leaves for healing of cuts.

CATNIP - Make a tea to to relieve colds and fevers. Also used to treat headaches and upset stomachs. Has mild sedative qualities.

CHAMOMILE - Use in a tea as a mild sleep aid or to aid digestion. Make a cream to treat dry, rough skin.

COMMON YARROW - Infused tea fights colds and fevers. Make a cream with its flower petals to use on cuts and burns.

CORIANDER - Chew leaves or infuse as a tea to relieve upset stomachs. Also used as a mild sedative.

FEVERFEW - Eat three to five leaves daily to reduce migraine headaches. Infuse as a tea to relieve muscle spasms or reduce fever.

HOREHOUND - Make a tonic of chopped horehound leaves and honey to treat sore throats. A cold infusion will help relieve heartburn.

HYSSOP - Make a cream to treat bruises and burns. Infuse as tea to treat colds, flu, bronchitis and sore throats.

PURPLE CONEFLOWER (Echinacea Purpurea) - Drink a hot infusion to stimulate the immune system.

ST JOHN'S WORT - Infuse as tea to treat depression or as a mild sedative. Makes a cream to treat bruises and skin inflammation.

SUMMER SAVORY - Hot infusion is gargled to treat a sore throat. Also drink as a tea to treat diarrhea and indigestion.

THYME - Make a tea sweetened with honey to help relieve sore throats and coughs. Infusion used to relieve hangovers.

VALERIAN - Roots used to relieve nervous tension, anxiety, insomnia and pain. Roots used in a cream to treat acne or skin rashes.

ANGELICA - Dried leaves are used to make an infusion (tea) to improve energy, stimulate circulation and reduce flatulence. Has antibacterial and antifungal qualities.

BASIL, SWEET - Steep leaves in water for a few minutes to make a tea to help indigestion. Make a cold-oil infusion to massage sore muscles.

CALENDULA - Flowers make a healing mouthwash for the gums. Mix a cream using calendula petals and plantain leaves for healing of cuts.

CATNIP - Make a tea to to relieve colds and fevers. Also used to treat headaches and upset stomachs. Has mild sedative qualities.

CHAMOMILE - Use in a tea as a mild sleep aid or to aid digestion. Make a cream to treat dry, rough skin.

COMMON YARROW - Infused tea fights colds and fevers. Make a cream with its flower petals to use on cuts and burns.

CORIANDER - Chew leaves or infuse as a tea to relieve upset stomachs. Also used as a mild sedative.

FEVERFEW - Eat three to five leaves daily to reduce migraine headaches. Infuse as a tea to relieve muscle spasms or reduce fever.

HOREHOUND - Make a tonic of chopped horehound leaves and honey to treat sore throats. A cold infusion will help relieve heartburn.

HYSSOP - Make a cream to treat bruises and burns. Infuse as tea to treat colds, flu, bronchitis and sore throats.

PURPLE CONEFLOWER (Echinacea Purpurea) - Drink a hot infusion to stimulate the immune system.

ST JOHN'S WORT - Infuse as tea to treat depression or as a mild sedative. Makes a cream to treat bruises and skin inflammation.

SUMMER SAVORY - Hot infusion is gargled to treat a sore throat. Also drink as a tea to treat diarrhea and indigestion.

THYME - Make a tea sweetened with honey to help relieve sore throats and coughs. Infusion used to relieve hangovers.

VALERIAN - Roots used to relieve nervous tension, anxiety, insomnia and pain. Roots used in a cream to treat acne or skin rashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Chocolate-mint. Yummy. I've seen those advertised. I have some mountain mint we brought back from NC. Maybe I'll go check on that choc.-mint. Mint is my favorite flavor. Anything with mint and throw in the chocolate and WOW!

chocolate mint is great in homemade ice-cream.

We run it through our juicer and then the juice goes right into to mix. Yummy in strawberry, and cherry Ice-Cream. That is when I can get my kids to stop eating it right out of the patch.

We also have orange mint, that is great in chocolate ice-cream, and pasta salads. Just picked up some apple mint, I want to put it in apple pies, but the leaves are kinda fuzzy. Will try and let you know how it goes.

I'm having a hard time finding any mint here locally. I'm going to start looking at the farmer's markets nearby and see if anyone is selling any plants. I wish we had a herb nusery nearby.

I planted some lemon balm, which is in the mint family.

I did not know this. I'm in the process of looking for

a good herb book.

I planted it right next to the fountain. Thanks to

Necie's tip about it liking water, it is very happy

there. Every once in a while it gets a good spashing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sugar bush (yummy!), sweet basil, thyme, lemon balm, pansies, and marigolds in the front garden. Lavander, pineapple sage, rosemary and mint in the side garden. Chocolate mint, orange mint, parsley, chives, garlic, lettuce, and two little tomato plants in the back garden. I've been trying for to stick with edible plants. I've been going crazy at the nursery down the street from me (a two minute walk!).

Archived