MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Todays Canning 7/13/06

Buttercup

Wow your proud of me.. Don't think I have heard many folks say that in my lifetime.. Your gonna make me all weepy! LOL.. Since I only had a few jars of pickles in the canner I threw my saurkraut I made a few weeks ago in with them and processed them at the same time.. I also dehydrated a couple cans of sweet peas..

What's everyone canning today?

Kaye your doing great! I took all the berries I have been saving out of the freezer last night.. Today I am going to mix them all together and juice them in the Victrio strainer and make a mixed berry jelly! I have blackberries, black raspberries , dewberries and some boysenberries...I hope it turns out okay..

Yesterday I made it to the big pot of chili DH had made for me to can. There was only enough left to do 4 pints! Should have done it a day or two earlier I guess! But 4 is better than 0!

What else can I can? Better yet, what can't I can? LOL

Well we didn't can it but we blanched and froze 13 doz ears of corn today, hopeing to get some green beans from the amish tomorrow. Our garden is pitiful this year, what the rabbits didnn't eat the ground hog must have finished off.

about the only thing is coming up yet is eggplants and they have a few blossum on brussle sprouts look healty but not budding yet carrots are plentyfull, but zuccini is slow as heck only pick 3 so far and cukes are slower then that. The 18 tomato plants look good but I am not holding my breath this year really stinks for our garden. Looks like we will have to do the Amish auction for our produce.

Today I canned 11 jars of pickles (2 Bread and Butter, 1 Sweet Pickles, and the rest Kosher Dill Pickles). So fun!

canned 16 pints of pickled beets and 12pints of the beet pickling brine because we had so much left over thought we could used that for making pickled eggs when the mood hits.

Didn't get any green beans yesturday none was ready. We went to one Amish house and they didn't have any ready may be another week. We asked her how much and they wanted $25 a bushel which we thought was kinda high but we order 3 bushel she told us they were getting $40 a bushel at the Amish Auction for them. Does any know how the prices are running for green beans. We stopped by another amish house on the way home they they are selling thier green beans for $15 a bushel which for us thats a better price. so we order 4 bushels. So we are going back tomorrow to cancle the $25 a bushel.

Hey Buttercup my sis and I were talking bout the pickles and we was wondering it that would work on bannana peppers you know soak them over night and ice them the only thing that you might have to cut them and open them up and remove the seeds so that you could rinse them really good I don't think you could do that if they were left whole. They might be crisp. I canned so many last year but we dumped them out this spring because of the limpness to them. what do you think?

Quote:
canned 16 pints of pickled beets and 12pints of the beet pickling brine because we had so much left over thought we could used that for making pickled eggs when the mood hits.
Didn't get any green beans yesturday none was ready. We went to one Amish house and they didn't have any ready may be another week. We asked her how much and they wanted $25 a bushel which we thought was kinda high but we order 3 bushel she told us they were getting $40 a bushel at the Amish Auction for them. Does any know how the prices are running for green beans. We stopped by another amish house on the way home they they are selling thier green beans for $15 a bushel which for us thats a better price. so we order 4 bushels. So we are going back tomorrow to cancle the $25 a bushel.
Hey Buttercup my sis and I were talking bout the pickles and we was wondering it that would work on bannana peppers you know soak them over night and ice them the only thing that you might have to cut them and open them up and remove the seeds so that you could rinse them really good I don't think you could do that if they were left whole. They might be crisp. I canned so many last year but we dumped them out this spring because of the limpness to them. what do you think?

Here's a link to one of the area produce auctions

Mount Hope Auction

They list their prices.....beans are, at the HIGH end, 22.00 a bushel. A friend of ours who sells at another one of these auctions (Blooming Grove) got 20.00 a bushel for first picking....it's been going down (price-wise) since then.

I did find a recipe for banana peppers online. I tried it, but havent' tasted the peppers yet (I'll do that today so I can tell you how they turned out). It called for soaking the peppers in ice water. I'll have to pull out the paper I printed off because I can't find it by doing a search....I'll look up the addy and post it later.

Shawna

Thanks Shawna the sight was very interesting I bookmarked so I can go back and really go though this sight. Would love to see your pepper recipe for the peppers. Got somemore yellow zuccini so good to try to make some mock pineapple with it going to peel it for sure lol.

Archived