MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Todays Canning 7/13/06

Buttercup

I just bought a All American 30 quart canner. So I have to do mixed loads to get the 14 quart jars or 18-19 pint load.

I bought a 25 pound bag of dryed limas on sale for $7.25 , a 10 pound ham, 20 pounds of beef and 25 pounds of carrots. and a good sized pk of celery. I'll add onions from the garden.

I started soaking beans today to can tommarrow. I hope to end up with a mix of canned bean and ham soup, canned beans, canned beef cubes, ground beef, plain carrots, plain beets from our garden. I Want to leave to some of the beef frozen so I will can beef stew when Our potatoes are ready to dig. The day after that I will use more of the ham and can split pea soup with ham and lentles with ham.

The green beans are just starting to bloom here, But when it's time to start picking them I'll can more soup. Can you tell we eat lots of soup?

Let's seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

In the midst of all the madness yesterday with this message board, I was still able to can 29 pints of Marinara, 16 pints of cuban chicken soup and 4 quarts of the cuban chicken soup.

Today, I'm going to be working on split pea soup with ham, and be making some homemade granola.

Between yesterday and today I got 2 pints of beets, 8 pints of corn, 5 pints of grape jelly, and 2 pints of banana pepper rings. I also recanned my rhubarb jelly, as it didn't set up when I canned it, but I don't think it set this time either....time will tell, I suppose but I'm not holding out hope LOL!!!

Shawna

Shawna, a week or so ago, I canned 24 half pints of bing cherry jam in 4 different batches. The first batch didn't set, so I re-canned it. Then the last batch hadn't set, either. I was so disgusted, I left it on the counter.

Yea Patches!

This is the first time I've noticed this thread, so I'll have to back up. Today I canned 3 quarts 6 week beans and 1 quart half runners, and 6 jelly jars of blackberry jelly. Dried a head of cabbage and a green tomato. My totals so far for this year is canned: 8 jelly jars of strawberry jam, 12 jelly jars of blackberry jelly, 6 pints blackberry jelly, 4 quarts beans, 7 quarts vegtable soup. Dehydrated: 2 heads of cabbage, green tomato, all my onions from the garden except for a few hanging under the shed to dry. Froze: 7 bags peas, 6 bags cabbage, and 10 cups of strawberries. Also dried some bananas. And I'm probably forgetting something, too tired to go look!

Kaye

Yesterday I canned 5 jars of bread and Butter Pickles and dried a bunch of herbs from the garden to store!

Well we ended up with 14 qts of kosher dill spears and 5qts of hamburger slices and 22 pts. they look good but won't know till tomrrow if they are crisp. have one in the frig. right now to chill. So Buttercup how did yours turn out, I hope well. I hate to see all this work to limpy dimpy pickles

Limpy Dimpy... LOL... I have one in the freezer chilling so I can try them out in a few minutes.. I have 9 pints of lime pickles in the water bath canner now.. 2 heads of cabbage in the dehydrator and chicken and broth in the pressure canner..

I had forgotten that lime pickles take 2 days all that soaking and rinsing.. Then you have to cook the syrup and pickles together for 35 minutes and process.. I tell ya what I am ready for bed..

Oh my gosh!!!!!! I just tested my dills.. They are sour and they are CRISPY! I can't believe it.. I hope they stay that way after a month or two in the jar or longer!

Oh Buttercup what good news that is we tested ours the first thing this morning too even before I had my first cup of coffee lol and they are crisp and great tasteing too. My sis and I are doing the happy happy dance, she has tried and tried before and this is the first time they came out this good.

What did I go out to the garden for this morning? Oh yeah it was below 80 and cloudy! NOT a heat index of 100 like it has been for most of the week! I pulled all of my onions and picked 4 cucumbers and 2 pecks plus one 6qt ice cream pail full of greenbeans!

Someone please tell me what to do with these onions.. It's cloudy out today so I can't set them in the sun so the outer skin can toughen up.. I want to braid the stems.. Can someone tell me how?

Well out of the greenbeans I picked today I got 11 qts.. here it is 10:30 pm and they are just now coming out of the pressure canner.. I also did 3 more pints of dills and one pint of dill relish...

Hubby said your pantry is a mess.. I need to build you more shelves.. Geesh had I known that's all it took I would have messed it up LONG ago!

Archived