MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating

Buttercup

Anyone do much of it?

Today I am doing carrots.. I just peeled them and sliced them.. I hope it works.. I have been doing banana peppers and noodles this week as well.

Any advice?

I've been drying cherries this week. With our hot humid weather they are taking forever to dry even in my electric dehydrator. But mmmmm they are SO good. I did some just plain and some of the very nicest plumpest ones I soaked in a honey syrup and dried them for special occasions. (You can add brandy to the soak if you want too)

I've dried carrots just raw like that and I've also dried them by preparing them for drying (cutting in rounds or dicing them) and then blanching them just until they start to soften. About 3 or 4 minutes depending on size. I like to steam blanch them as that seems to keep them from being soggy. I roll hem in a big towel to sop up all moisture before putting them in the dehydrator. I like them better this way.

Carrots seem to be pretty tough to eat 'as is' when dried but I sure like zucchini sliced thinly, salted lightly, and dried without blanching them until crisp. They go great with dill dip.

I will have green beans going in next. I slice small and steam them slightly also and then use them in soups or soak them and then simmer them with a piece of ham.

I also use my veggies to make instant soups by grinding them finely and mixing them as I see fit. You can add boiling water, cover tightly and let set about ten minutes and have a fairly good creamy soup. If you add powdered meat, some dried herbs and seasonings you have it all. Or grind them all coarsely and use them like soup starter, simmering them in water or broth until tender.

You can also make a "Leather" out of your veggies and dry it in sheets. You roll these up in plastic wrap so they don't stick together and store them to snack on or use for soups. You just steam the veggies until soft but not mushy then blend them to make a smooth puree. You spread them on plastic wrap or parchment paper on HALF your dehydrator shelves, alternating sides of the trays as you go so that air will flow around each tray back and forth. (This is the same for fruit leather)

Have I wetted your appitite?

I did a few green beans this weekend.. Are they still called leather britches if you do it in the dehydrator instead of outside? Or just hanging in the house?

Sorry Buttercup, I didn't see this until now. Hmmmmmm (couldn't find the little Hmmmm guy, is he missing?)

I do quite a bit of dehydrating, although frontier has dried stuff cheaper than I can buy it and dry it. If I had a garden it would be a different matter.

I love the flavor of dried onions in soups and meats. I also do mushrooms, then I grind them to powder in the coffee grinder and add them to soups and sauces. None of us will eat mushrooms but no one knows they are there that way. Doing it hat way lets me hide veggies in just about anything LOL.

Mo7

Quote:
Buttercup, how did your carrots turn out? I'd like to try drying them as my next project. About how thick were your slices, or did you dice the carrots? Thanks!

I just sliced them like I was putting them in veggie soup.. 2lbs gave me about a cup once they were dry..

Archived