MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about dogs

Any info on something that works for deworming my puppy? My friend Beth suggested I use goldenseal and tarragon, and my brother used tobacco for his dog. How long will it take? Help ick!

I'm also trying to get rid of fleas, he's sleeping on a pillowcase filled of cedar bedding, I've tried cedar oil but it seems to irritate him, I've tried lemongrass oil and lavender oil, he smells good, but is still covered in fleas. Two flea baths a week, trying to keep him inside as much as possible.

(Please don't tell me this is why my mom always got rid of her dogs after having them for a short while, I will NOT be like her! )

2c0e67e3f6.jpg

Grandpa wormed his horses and dogs with tobbacco. Garlic is supposed to be good for natural flea control...Advantage drops work well but can't be used on puppies and will get on kids hands if they pet the dog - so be very careful if you use it. Are you sure it's fleas and not an allergy that the dog has? Some dogs get allergies and scratch until they drive themselves bonkers. Check for flea poo and actual sightings of fleas. Clean all the doggie beddings often. I hope you find something that works and get to keep your pooches!

Just take puppy to the vet and get him dewormed. You don't want your kids to get them! I don't know any natural remedies for that.

For fleas try 1 tsp Brewers yeast in puppy's food every day, and give puppy a bath every day and comb with a flea comb until the fleas are gone. Diamataceous earth sprinkled liberally left overnight on the carpet and then vacuumed up. Also night light with bowls of dishsoap water underneath will attract them to their death.

Advantage or Frontline works by preventing all stages of the flea lifecycle. It's really not that expensive and trust me I've tried all the natural remedies and had to deal with fleas several times. I gave up and went the topical method and we haven't had a flea problem since with 3 cats and 2 dogs. You have to treat the environment at the same time as the animal or the eggs hatch and it starts over. We had to bug bomb the house and I hated that!

I'm with Becca-Anne on this one- take the little guy to the vet. He needs to be on heartworm preventive (there is NO herbal for that and it WILL kill them) and all the preventives for heartworms will also worm for every other worm there is except tapeworms and he won't get those unless he has fleas. For the fleas Advantage is great but it MUST be the name brand Advantage NOT what you can get at Walmart- they are completely different things. The over the counter stuff is just concentrated flea spray (aka POISON) and if you put the dog kind on cats it WILL kill them. Also bad for kids to pet and then put fingers in mouths. The active ingredient in Advantage affects things with an exoskeleton only (bugs), not anything warm blooded like people, other mammals or birds. It paralyzes the bugs and they can't breathe and die. It works within 24 hours and although it leaves a tiny greasy spot on the pet for a few hours, and it probably tastes bad, it won't hurt you unless you are an insect.

Cute puppy AND boy- reminds me of that Coppertone ad (sheesh I just aged myself BAD)

After spending a small fortune at the vet on my puppies, getting them wormed, etc., the vet confirmed to me that Panacur horse wormer is the same Panacur he sells for a small fortune. The horse wormer is a paste and the puppy panacur is a liquid. I have been worming my dogs for years now with Panacur horse wormer, or Safeguard horse wormer. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BRANDS! These horse wormers are very inexpensive, perfectly safe for tiny puppies and kittens, it only takes a smidge, it kills round, hook, whip and tape worms, and you CANNOT overdose them. I KNOW! Give the wormer once a day for three days, wait two weeks, and give it once a day for three days again. My vet told me this, and it works. For fleas I use Frontline or Zodiac topspot. Sorry I don't know a more natural remedy for them. I tried AVON Skin-So-Soft bath oil that other folks swear by, but it never helped my dogs, and made them very greasy/dirt magnets. There is some product the vet has that you can give a dog and it will kill all fleas instantly, but it doesn't work as a long term repellent. It's more for if you're taking the dog somewhere and don't want to take the fleas with you. Hope this helps.

I give my dogs brewer's yeast/garlic tabs. I prefer Petguard when I can get it. 1 tablet per pound of animal is the dose. After you get rid of the fleas, you can cut the dose down a little bit. My dogs love the tabs. Also helps out those adoptees that show up on your porch without an owner. I had one that had gnats bothering her and she wasn't calm enough for us to bathe. I gave her the tabs with some food and the next day, she felt a lot better and no gnats in sight.

Kathy

one last thought about worming the dog with tobacco. I'm not sure it works very well. Also, it occurred to me that just because a treatment is "natural" doesn't mean it is safe. Tobacco is known to cause mouth, throat, lung and stomach cancer when it is smoked or chewed. I don't think I'd want to feed it to my animal. I would rather take my chances with something like Panacur that I know is going to work.

im with the vet crowd...get it done asap, worms can kill pups... spring for the vet flea stuff too, if you dont you will do battle with them for a loooooonnngggg time...(put this under the ask me how i know catagory) and put some moth balls in your vaccumm cleaner bags, this way when you do get fleas or their eggs in there they will die. once you get the fleas under control, I doubt you will have to keep them on the stuff all the time, (I dont, just if there is another outbreak). good luck! AM

Please don't use tobacco on your pup! It is quite toxic. It's very important to control worms in your pets for their health and the health of your children. Here is some info on zoonosis, the transmission of animal parasites to humans.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/dynamic/...Fprevention.htm

• 1 month later...

The pills are called Capstar. They are a "quick kill" and are actually designed to kill for use with bad flea infestations and to give the spots a "jump start". The pill starts working within 20 minutes. They will itch like crazy for about 20 minutes. After that, no more scratching. We give the pill and then do the spot. Works great, but the pill is only good for about 24 hours, which is why you do the spot also. The spots are good for about a month.

Take him to the vet, please...good quality wormer (heartworm meds monthly too), good quality topical flea/tick of your choice, and Siphotrol spray or bugbomb for your house.

Oh, and if he is old enough for it, Micodex flea shampoo.

If it's tapeworms you can get the medicine at a farm/ranch supply, that's where I get it. It depends on how old he is too as to what you can use. Homeremedies don't work on tapeworms and can kill a puppy. Get a flea comb and comb him in the bathtub everyday, it's amazing how that works. Tapeworm is not something to mess with and can cause a lot of other problems. I will say that Lemon joy and it has to Lemon Joy is recommended by our vet for an intial washing, it's what we use on our pets. I use Frontline for our dog and she's okay with it. I use a step down from her weight if that makes sense. Good luck! I'm also with the take him to the vet crowd! Good starts for puppies will keep them healthier longer!

I agree, take him to the Vet. So many things need to be checked, not only a worm test so that he is being treated for the correct type of worm, but heartworm medication is a must. The vet will listen to heart, lungs, trim nails, check ears for mites, watch him walk and check for hip, back, knee, problem, check for malnutrition issues, which could have caused rickets, on and on. Please take poor baby to the vet.

Discuss the remedies given by others here, and let the vet recommend the best ones for your puppy based on his weight and general health.

I do recommend capstar, I do some animal rescue and use capstar as an immediate answer to remove fleas on strays and rescues.

So much help! Thank you all!

DH finally caved and bought Cooper Worm-Away, and it did work, I add it to his food every 10 days so I don't have to be subjected to that again (not to mention poor Cooper!)

The fleas aren't so bad now that it's not so hot (go figure, lol). I even tried hair dye on him because I've been told that lice don't like dyed hair, so I was hoping the same would go for fleas. (he was a pretty purple til it faded, not he just looks grey in splotches, yes I'm crazy)

My resue last winter was a part lab stray I named Buddy. He had heartworms and a severe respiratory infection. He had been abused.

I have a great vet and locals who assist financially with a rescue program here, so we began his treatment. He did not make it through the second phase. It was devasting, and a miserable death. everyone, make sure you have a stock of heartworm preventative on hand.

Archived