MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Want to begin canning

vickiesmom

Ok..I am such a city girl...phew! I really want to learn to do this with my daughter, but I am a visual learner, not a literal learner...which means I learn best by seeing someone else do it first, then I can do it...but reading things like directions...sometimes doesn't compute...unless I spend two days reading it out loud to myself until it makes since...then the lightbulb goes on and it is all good. LOL. So if anyone could step by step me through this process I would LOVE ya forever. Could we start with a shopping list of utensils I'm gonna need? Hate to get half way ready and realize I need something.

There are so many good posts in this forum with step by step instructions..

First of all you are going to be instructed to get 2 different types of canners one would be a pressure canner for low acid foods and the other would be a waterbath canner for foods higher in acid.. I am sure there will be someone else who comes along that can give you a detailed list.. Jars!!!!!! You'll need lots and lots of those!

You wanna start canning, eh?

Well, you've definitely come to the right place! While I'm moderate, quiet spoken and a little shy, the rest of the ladies are totally outta control!

Tell ya what, I hafta go get my hair cut in about an hour, but when I get back, I'll pull out the camera and take some pictures of the things you'll need to collect to get started, so hang in there till I get back!

Welcome to MrsS!

Quote:

While I'm moderate, quiet spoken and a little shy, the rest of the ladies are totally outta control!

do not believe darlene! she tells everyone she is the innocent one... but none of it true! we are the shy ones and she is the outspoken one! darlene shy?

Ok here ya go...

To water bath can, all you need is a stock pot deep enough to cover the 1/2 pints and pints with water...you don't need to spend money on a traditional water bath canner unless you choose to do so.

For pressure canning, you're going to need a pressure canner. There are many different types of pressure canners, dial gauge, weighted gauge, etc...some are made by Mirro, Presto, and the unanimous (but not necessary) favorite around here are the All Americans. Here's a picture of my weighted gauge All American *baby* canner.

(see attached)

109259-SplitPeaSoup019.jpg

A few tools that you need (some you need and some you don't necessarily HAVE to buy) are:

Canning jars (either made by Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest)

Seal lids and rings

Jar lifters (not mandatory)

Funnels (not mandatory...I've canned hundreds of pounds of tomatoes before I got one...didn't realize there were so many gadgets out there that made canning more easy)

(see attached)

109260-SplitPeaSoup020.jpg

Quote:
V-Mom,

Darlene bribed HSmom to say that! ... with chocolate! I saw.

Hey now!!! If you're going to make accusations, make sure you get them right.

For the record, Darlene did NOT bribe me with chocolate (that gene sometimes skips a generation - just ask my mom, or my daughter).

She bribed me with 6 dozen empty canning jars!

If you buy a used canner, write a polite letter or email to the manufacturer. Say something like this:

"I recently found one of your wonderful old canners at a thrift store. The engraved model number on the bottom is ___. I'm eager to begin using my new canner, but realize that, if used incorrectly, it could be dangerous. Could you please send me an instruction manual and parts list?"

They never deny a request worded that way.

NO extension office currently active in Los Angeles. Shocking but true! (hasn't been active for 20 years!!!, I know I call every year)

Jellys/Jams are a great way to start! What we all do here is try to can ones that are in season. Is there anything in season where you are at, or available for cheaper prices?

Archived