MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Want to begin canning

vickiesmom

Just acquired two Presto pressure canners from my MIL. She got them at a rummage sale for us. One is lightly used and the other still new in box! Both can be used as water bath canners if you want, and have the dial gauges and the steamvent weight...

Now to figure out what to try to can...and HOW!

vickiesmom ~

You can make applesauce, apple butter, spple pie filling, spiced apples, etc with apples.

Vic303 ~

Just ask away...we're here to help with any questions you may have.

Pogo,

when I tried to get into the Master Gardener program I was denied. the reason was I had to volunteer and there was no place in my area (within 50 miles) for me to do this. This program was for the poor (like there isn't any poor in my area?) so they could learn how to grow their own food to help suppliment their families.

I asked about the Canning program... I was told there wasn't one because there was no real interest anymore. (coulda fooled me).

I was promised a newsletter, which I never got and that ended that. About 10 years ago I inquired once again... no response.

I worked for the county at the time, now retired.. hey that outta qualify me for poor and fixed income right?

I can apple butter and applesauce and then I can the rest as sliced apples in light syrup. This way I can use them for about anything. Pie, cobbler, dice them up to put in stuffings or make apple fritters, fried apples...

I started doing this when a girlfriend told me she canned her apples. WHAT?! Canned? Everyone FREEZES apples, don't they? Well, the only freezer she has is above her refrigerator-not enough room. So I tried it-now I wonder why anyone freezes all their apples?

IMHO, tomatoes are the easiest thing to can. Pick them and throw them in a kettle of boiling water, when the skins crack take them out and place them in the sink and remove the skins, core them and remove any bad places. You may can them whole, or in chunks up to you. Once the jar is full up to the neck, fill with preboiled water. Now you can add salt (1 teaspoon per quart) or not. Wipe the top of the jar with a clean cloth, top with a flat and ring and hand tighten, do not force. Place in a hot water bath canner and process according to your canner's instructions. Remove from canner and allow to cool to room temperature listening for the wonderful pings as they seal. Remove rings and store in cool dark place. If you have a jar that doesn't seal, place in refrigerator and use in a couple of days. Check the seal for seeds, salt or a crack in the jar. Seeds or salt it's your fault. Crack in the jar...depends on how bad it is...can you use if for dry stuff with a plastic lid??? Remember to mark it so you don't use it again or throw it away.

Quote:
Just acquired two Presto pressure canners from my MIL. She got them at a rummage sale for us. One is lightly used and the other still new in box! Both can be used as water bath canners if you want, and have the dial gauges and the steamvent weight...

Now to figure out what to try to can...and HOW!

Wow that's excellent Vic!!!!!!!

Archived