MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pumpkin Pie from scratch?

Quote:
OK but how do you puree the pumpkin?

Mo7

I just bake my pumpkins (like you would winter squash). Cut pumpkin in half, lay in a baking pan (I use my sheet cake pan), add a b it of water--enough to prevent sticking and to soften pumpkin---and bake until you can easily poke a knife through the pumpkin. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds (you can also di this before you cook it, that way you can have seeds to toast!), and then spoon out the cooked pumpkin. Throw the cooked pumpkin in a food processor until smooth (or you can use a food mill, if you have one you use to can with).

Pumpkin from *scratch* is juicier than the canned pumpkin, so it sometimes takes longer to cook your pies. I usually use a but less liquid in the pie recipe, just to compensate for the juicy texture of the homemade pumpkin.

Have fun! I
Shawna

P.S. If you have an over-abundance of winter squash (butternut, etc), you can use it in place of the pumpkin in pie recipes...works great!

I do it exactly as Shawna described. Then I freeze it in 2 cup increments (in baggies).

Pumpkin chunks can be home pressure canned, but I believe that 'they' do NOT recommend canning puree. It's too dense to safely get hot enough in the middle.

Quote:
I don't know if you include evaporated milk as 'from scratch,'

You don't have to use evaporated milk. You can use
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, light cream or 1 1/4 cups
regular milk.

I have not tried any of these yet. I've been looking
into alternative recipes, incase evaporated milk is
not available.

Does anyone use regular milk?

You can also remove the seeds and toast. I have not used just milk, but I have used heavy cream and that turned out great. I use the mill that I use for tomato juice to "juice" my pumpkins to remove all the strings and pulp. Boil the pumpkin pieces in water and allow to cool in the fridge and it will separate into water and pumpkin, siphon off the water. I have only canned pumpkin chunks. Uncan, mill, allow to set to separate, siphon off water, measure and proceed with recipe.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if you include evaporated milk as 'from scratch,'

You don't have to use evaporated milk. You can use
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, light cream or 1 1/4 cups
regular milk.

I have not tried any of these yet. I've been looking
into alternative recipes, incase evaporated milk is
not available.

Does anyone use regular milk?

I used regular milk one time and it took probably twice as long to cook, but it didn't taste any different after it was done!

Shawna

Here's the evap milk sub I have, pretty sure it came from here, but not sure who the author was

EVAPORATED MILK SUBSTITUTE

7/8 cup 2% milk

1/4 to 1/3 cup powdered milk

After combining this thoroughly, you should have equivalent to 1 cup of evaporated milk.

Mo7

Homemade Evaporated Milk

1 1/2 c warm water

1 c powdered milk

2 tbslp margarine

Mix dry milk and warm water together. Add margarine. In a small pan, heat mixture together. Beat well, cool and store in the refrigerator.

For those holiday recipes....

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

If recipe calls for 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, use 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 3/4 to 1 c. sugar. Cook for 12 minutes. For 14 oz. can of condensed milk, use one large can of evaporated milk, 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cup sugar. Cook on low 12 minutes.

I found those recipes HERE.

Here is another......

Homemade Evaporated Skim Milk

By JoAnna Lund

1/3 cup Carnation nonfat dry milk powder

1/2 cup water

In a small bowl, combine dry milk powder and water. Mix well. Use as you would purchased evaporated skim milk. Makes 1/2 cup.

HINT: If you need 1 cup evaporated skim milk, double the recipe. For 1 1/2 cups, which is equivalent to one 12 fluid ounce can, simply triple the recipe. This is handy to know when you want to prepare a recipe calling for evaporated skim milk and you don't have any in the cupboard. Also, if you are using a recipe that only needs 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk, you don't have to worry about what to do with the leftovers remaining in the can.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a pumpkin pie that was light and fluffy. how would i copy that? whipped cream? gelatin? both?

Archived