MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

May be out for awhile...

MommyofSeven

We have a blizzard on the way so I may be afk for awhile. rest assured if you sign up for the Christmas Card Exchange I will make sure you get on the list, those PMs will still be there.

Maybe I should go buy some cards so I can get started if we don't have power LOL.

I'll be thinking of you while I sip home made hot chocolate with whipped cream. Calories don't count if you're drinking hot food during a blizzard!

Mo7

Everyone stay safe and warm.

We had a blizzard in Alabama in March of 1993! It was amazing, we'd never seen anything like it. The whole area shut down tight, there was no going anywhere.

DH and I were young and childless, so it was quite an adventure for us. But for many, it was a scary time.

Mt.Rider, that is great about the rascal!!! and the canner!! I wish the boys and I were there to give you a hand unloading that hay. It's amazing what a bunch of sons can do in short order. I always smile when I read Westie talking about her "slave sons". That's probably how my boys feel right now...we've been raking leaves...a seemingly endless battle.

Mo7, you take it esp. easy and don't forget the portion of hot chocolate for the baby!!!

Mt, I was wondering if you were going to be caught in it. If I was closer I'd be up there to help you with all that hay.

You are so right about God challenging and providing. I'll post more about that in Streams.

DH will probably have to be out in it. He's off work, but whenever he's off work, he's on call for the FD, and he'll probably be the only EMT who's anywhere close to paved roads out here. Today I'm going to put together a "just in case" bag for him for if he gets stranded. They have plenty of water on the rig, but he'll need some food.

Congrats on the rascal! That is amazing!

Prayed2, a blizzard in Alabama?!?! I bet folks had no idea what to do!

I will be taking it easy. I figure if we lose power I"ll have DH put our mattress in the living room between that and the sofa bed everyone can bed down in there and we'll fill it with candles and have something simmering on the stove. We have board games and books.

If power is out for more than three days I'll start cooking the freezer, but I'll be handing a great deal of it out to the neighbors to coook as well. Most of us around here are pretty self sufficient but no one else has a freezer.

And yes, I'll make sure the baby gets a healthy portion of hot chocolate!

Mo7

PS: I saw my stooopid ducks/geese (with a spot light) just now paddling away in the dark on the pond. So far, they've stayed safe. Now if the idiots will just come up to the duckhouse today before the storm..... Pond will likely ice in entirely tonight. Aaaugh, some days I wonder why I deal with them.

MtRider

Concerning the 1993 Blizzard!! in Alabama!! Yes it was unbelievable. I mean we usually get all excited if we have a snowflake stick or at one point have enough for a small snow man. It was in March too and that was when we are usually warming up a bit. Everyone laughed when the weather man said 12-18 inches to fall that night...but they weren't laughing the next morning. At our place in the country we had nearly 3 ft. Everything shut down...we had no power for a week and some had to wait longer than that. It was a real eye opener for someone like me who had never experienced a hurricane or long term weather issues.

Just goes to show ...be prepared. We had no way to heat the house and we were in a rental. Years before they had boarded up the fireplace, we unboarded it, prayed and lit a fire. Thinking back, I shudder at the possibility of setting the whole place on fire. Trees fell and neighbors who had chainsaws put them to work. I remember after a few days washing my hair in a washtub I had bought to bathe my dog, I knelt down in front of that old fireplace.

And the clincher is....we were never without water...so we really didn't have it as bad as it could have been. I guess that's one of my experiences that urged me towards preparedness.

Well, didn't mean to write a book, but you got me traipsing down memory lane.

Stephanie

We're in the line of the snowstorm too, but I don't think we'll see a blizzard. We'll be snug and tight with plenty of firewood, and a stew is in the stove.

Mt. Rider....nice of your parents to help with the hay. That's a rough job, let alone in bad weather. Congrats on the Rascal. I got a scooter a year ago, and it has given me so much freedom.

Keep warm everyone!

Wow, it is early for a blizzard. I wish I could give you a deal on our hay. We have a barn full, and no animals. But we live to far apart. I love it when it snows, but only for a couple of days. It makes things slow down a bit. I hope you all stay warm and safe, I will keep you in my thoughts.

PS: Yeah, I'd like to get hay at a better price than I had to pay. It's going for over $9 a bale here. I didn't get much better price per ton. But I did get good green stuff this time. Got two emergency bales last weekend and it was brown. My horses are not picky but they wouldn't eat it. This stuff is good but OUCH! My fingers still feel burned by having to part with so much $$$.

Thanks for prayers folks.

MtRider

Oooh, y'all stay warm in that blizzard! 33.gif

Stephanie--I remember that blizzard in '93 very well! Jenny was three months short of her third birthday and the power went out in our apartment, so we risked life & limb to get to some friends' house, where they still had power. The roads were totally iced over and we slipped & slid everywhere, but prayed for safety and made it with no real problem. Our friends remembered the blizzard of '73, when they were expecting their first child, and my friend's mama remembered the one in '53, because she was just home from the hospital after having her ! 0002.gif

MtRider--I'm glad your silly ducks made it into the duckhouse! 0022.gif

Wow Loretta, is that some kind of blizzard pattern...like every 20 years....strange. I was wondering if you remembered it too, couldn't recall if it went over into Ga. or not. Boy, it's not something you easily forget. I really can't imagine that as a way of life for months and months!! Sending warm thoughts to all our snowy friends!!!

Stephanie

Well here's OUR update...

Not sure where BB is, but Mt is probably getting hit pretty good right now. We're expecting it in the next few hours. Mare should hopefully be over the worst. Last night at 10 we still had stars in the sky and light winds. This morning it's gray.

The news reports from CO Springs look UGLY! Visibility less than 1/10 of a mile in spots. No widespread power outages yet but tonight when the temp drops that will increase as the sodden tree limbs get brittle and snap.

Actually not really early for a blizzard here. Our worst blizzards are the October or March ones, cause it's warm enough that the snow is REALLY wet and so it downs a lot of trees and power lines.

We had one here last year, but it was mild, as this one should be, I had one up in Denver about 7 years ago that was really bad. I was doing daycare at the time and had frantic calls from parents who couldn't get to us to pick up their kidlets. We had about 5 kids for 3 days straight. I thought it was silly that the parents would worry-please, don't come out in this weather, they will be fine. And they were. When we did have kids get picked up we had to remove the glass from the storm door and pass them out that way because we still coudln't open the door.

Then the largest one I remember was in 82. My brother was born then. The snow had stopped but there was like 4 feet PLUS drifts. Denver doesn't plow side streets, so our neighbor, who worked for a construction company, knew my mom was due so he came and plowed from our driveway to the main road. Thankfully so, because it was definitely necessary. The snow hit on the 23rd I think and he was born the 28, and our road still wasn't plowed.

The kids are laughing and playing, DH went out and tied down the trashcans, and now went to go get the chainsaw. I'm going to call down and see if any of the older folks in our complex need any last minute grocery stuff and head out to get that before it gets bad.

See ya'll when I can!

Mo7

MommyofSeven - So glad to hear you are still doing okay.

I am in COSprings - been snowing here since about 3am. The snow is really piling up in places and the drifts are even worse. With the wind, visibility is down to feet, I can't even see the street in front of my house. Thankfully, everything has been cancelled so the whole family is home safe and sound. Lights are flickering, but so far we still have power. I am ready if we lose it, but sure would rather that we don't!

I am off to sit near the fire with my knitting. Stay safe and warm.

OK, we're finally getting our snow. Started about 10:30. We've got about six inches and it's blowing, but not too badly yet. The trees are looking pretty sad though. I'm pretty sure we will lose power tonight (hoping we don't lose it right before I hit "Continue" to post this LOL) because the trees are really drooping.

Dh hasn't had any med calls, but he is at the Fire Station with stranded drivers. They have coffee and plenty of snack foods, and I've got three pots of chicken broth going on the stove to make chicken and dumplings. I'll have DH bring the Ambulance over to pick them up in a bit. All of our auxilliary ladies would have been happy to cook but it's silly for them to come down from the mountain where most of them live, when we are a block away from the station. No use having someone out in this, especially on that mountain road, that doesn't have to be.

We are down to one TV station, if we had satellite we'd have none. There's no cable here so the only people that have TV are those on an antenna. We have plenty of movies though.

We are all nice and snuggly warm with the food cooking in the kitchen, my heater, set at 62, has YET to come on. I love that I can keep us warm enough without having to pay a huge gas bill. It's 33 outside.

OK, lights are dimming a bit, time to post this and shut the computer down!

ETA My neighbor just came by, her phone isn't working LOL.

Mo7

Greetings from under a snowdrift. Look out Mo7, if it's yet to get to you - this is a doozey. Hope Mare and BB are nearly done.

??

We have over 2' of snow already & it's slowing down but hasn't quit. Oye! Rosie-dog and I went down on foot to feed at 9am. What a horrid blowing on our round picnic table. lol

MtRider

112081-DSC02075.jpg

While Rosie and I were lugging that sled with groceries up the drive, I saw a blue jay huddled in a bare aspen tree. I told it to go sit in the protection of a pine tree, for Pete's sake. Next thing I know, it's up at the window of the kitchen and squawking. I went downstairs to get some birdseed. It's a very young bird, able to fly but too young to know what its to do with this weather. It's not scared of me at all and it followed me down and came inside the garage and sat on the washing machine. I set out a bowl of seed and one of water. And it did not want to go back outside. So it's spending the duration at the Blizzard Hotel. How do I get into these things? He lets me come right up to him. When I went upstairs, he squawked and squawked. I went down and opened the door to let him out but he only wanted to talk at me and flare his wings out for emphasis. He didn't go near the door. Flies around the garage, following me.

Bird 1

MtR

112084-DSC02081.jpg

Archived