MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

May be out for awhile...

MommyofSeven

Well, hope most of the excitement is over. Still have to got feed Hooch again. Always a possibility of loosing power as Mo7 mentioned. I hope&pray&hope& pray we do not have that challenge. We have warm sleeping bags, down comforter and a big dog. We'd get thru.

Sheesh, if it isn't our kids making national news, it's us!

MtR

112086-DSC02105.jpg

I'm sure glad all of you in Colorado are OK. I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when Fox said you got 18" and the pictures of the Interstate were scary! You are REALLY socked in!

It must have come over us first. It was sleeting sideways here last night, but by morning it had all turned to rain. Sometimes the lake causes a huge snow dump, other times it passes us by.

Now, has anyone heard from Westlake? I hope she's not in the path of that fire.

MtRider - that is one smart bird. Might be you have a new permanent house guest!

We are digging out around here today. We ended up with about 16 inches of wet, heavy snow. Usually we just get powdery snow you can brush away, but today the shovels are getting a workout. Roads are still icy around here, but we are warming up quickly so that should change by this afternoon. Went over to my Dad's this morning to shovel him out and we saw many cars stranded on the roads sometime yesterday. What they were doing out is anyones guess!

Mof7 - how are you making out?

Well we never did lose power, thankfully. We ended up with about 8 inches of snow and then it warmed up and the rain started, so now we have about 3 inches of compacted ICE.

I kept the kids home again today because they AGAIN did not close the school, despite the fact that the roads between here and there will be ice and mud, and there is no town bus to school. The lady that drives them refuses to drive in the snow (she's a new driver) which I actually prefer her admitting her inability to drive in the snow rather than wrecking with the kids in the car. But I was not going to have them walk up to school in this. It would take them an hour, and all those teen drivers as they get closer to the school make me nervous.

They have already been out playing in the snow, so my floors are mud covered and the maintenance guy is coming today (supposedly) and I'm just going to tell him some probably not very nice things if he comments on it. I refuse to follow them around all day with a mop. I have other stuff to do!

The "stranded drivers" ended up being one guy, who got a ride to Trinidad, so we just ate what I cooked LOL. No biggie. The Fire Chief offered to reimburse me for what I cooked. I told DH I think it probably cost $.75, LOL. Everything was from scratch.

Our temp today is supposed to be 50, so MORE MUD! The lights are still flickering, though, and probably will until it all melts off the trees and power lines.

I had a lot of fun anticipating this, and was actualy disappointed when it didn't pan out for us. I'm glad we're all OK!

Mo7

As I mentioned (sourly) in Edge, I'm so tired and cranky and sore all over from trying to prep/endure/dig out of our 2 feet of snow that I probably just need to go to bed. Short update is both our vehicles are now loose from captivity of snow. Driveway is very badly and expensively plowed --- and the plow guy slipped and very well may have broken his ankle here. Wonderful sunny, melting day tho. I hope there is more cuz plow guy shoved piles in all the wrong places, despite what we were insisting. We need desperately to hit the RESET button and start over with this winter. We can barely turn around at the top of our driveway now. Or the bottom, for that matter.

For all you blue bird refugee fans (wasn't he cute?) - he spent a warm night in my garage and flew away happy and healthy some time this morning -- I left the door open for him (her?). I heard him in the tree for a while afterwards. I wonder if we'll see him show up at the kitchen window demanding 'takeout'. :-) That was a strange but heart-warming little tidbit in this mess.

Barnyard critters are fine. Rosie was a trooper. She pulled me UP our steep driveway several times and I would not have made it without her added propulsion. Yea BIG dogs!

Glad we Blizzard Four are all OK.

Mo7 -- oooh. That ice stuff is so trecherous. Be careful till it melts off. YOU cannot afford to fall hard.

MtRider

Right there with you, Mt, I haven't ventured outside YET. But the sidewalks are all plowed off so it's safe. I'm just a wuss in the cold. But no, I wasn't taking any chances in the ice. It's supposed to be 60ish today so most of it will be gone.

Send the plow guy down here...I'll send him out on the ice so he can break the other ankle (ooh, did I just type that?!?!)

Now to put the house back together. Maintenance man again supposed to be showing up again so I can finally hook up the darned clothes washer. I have a mountain of laundry to do.

Mo7

Archived