MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

pumpkin pie

lindahoney

Okay, I need a good recipe for pumpkin pie from a pumpkin. I've always used commercially canned in the past. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they would like to share? And how does one can a real pumpkin anyway? Or is it better to freeze?

I use the same recipe as for commercially canned pumpkin, only I scale back on the liquid that's added, since pumpkin done at home is more watery than store bought.

I just use what's on the back of a pumpkin can :-)

Shawna

Quote:
For instance, could I make a puree and crock pot it until it got thick enough and then water bath can it?

Should be canned in chunks or strips and should NOT be water bath canned-MUST BE PRESSURE CANNED.

Now here is where I get confused. Let's see if I can make sense out of it without confusing everyone else.

I agree about only chunks of pumpkin as being safe to can.

The sugar in pumpkin butter isn't enough to preserve it, since pumpkin is a low acid vegetable.

Here is a link about pumpkin butter and pureed pumpkin.

It needs to be frozen, not canned for safety reasons.

National Center for Home Food Preservation:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/...kin_butter.html

This is part of what it says:More recent research with pumpkin butter has been done at the University of Missouri. Pumpkin butter is mashed or pureed pumpkin that has had large quantities of sugar added to it, but not always enough to inhibit pathogens. Sometimes an ingredient such as vinegar or lemon juice is added to the formulation to increase the acidity (decrease the pH). However, pumpkin butters produced by home canners and small commercial processors in Missouri have had pH values as high as 5.4. In fact, the pH values seemed to be extremely variable between batches made by the same formulation (Holt, 1995).

WOW!

Ok-NO canned mashed pumpkin or squash. Butters or not. Learn something new every day.

Thanks, Violet, and WELCOME. Nice to meet ya. Come on up to the Sunporch for some refreshments and tell us 'bout yourself.

Thanks for the link, too. Very good info.

Archived