MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

black beans

i have soaked them since 3:00pm yesterday, and they have been cooking for 3 hours! they will not soften enough to eat. how long is it sippossed to take? i want to start buying dried beans instead of canned beans, but if it means i have to have crunchy soup, i wont bother, i will pay more for canned food.

ok, i posted this thread at 6:50, and now it is 9:00 and my beans are still crunchy.

what am i doing wrong?

i am hungry and they are not getting chewable!

Beats me, Pixie. My old dry black beans get soaked overnight & cooked in a crockpot on high for 6-9hrs or so, and are perfect. Maybe you need to turn up the heat?

--Vic

it takes 6-9 hours?!

they are in my crock pot on high

you mean i have to wait till breakfast to eat my dinner?

Sometimes adding salt can retard the cooking process.

Or maybe it's an "old wives' tale"... it appears there's not a definitive answer for all.

thanks everyione, cat: i had put all but the chopped veggies and ham in with the beans...this means 2 cans of tomatoes, and my spices. the beans finally did become tender enough to eat at about 1 am so i added the rest of my veggies and ham and we ate it at 1:30. i was so mad i could not even eat very much of it, but it is a meal for a later date. i hope that my next attemt turns out better now that i am armed with a bit of knowledge.

i made cuban black bean soup with ham.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/soups/vegetable25.htm

well, by the time the beans finally cooked, they were quite a lot bigger than dry. i didnt think they would get that big. well, there was so much bean there was little room left for the soup, and it was kinda like a paste. so i took half of it out of the pot and froze it, took a bit more out and set it aside, and then i added broth to the remainder, making it into soup.; we ate that. the next day i took the leftover pasty portion and spread it (hot)in a pan and added a layer of sour cream, and a layer of salsa with cheeze on. melt the cheese and serve with nachos. it tasted awsome! even with the ham in it! i was thinking that i could even make little cakes with it. add fllour and roll it out, more like crepes. my mom used to do that with leftover mashed potatos. i cant remember what we put on them?

• 3 weeks later...

Pixie, you can make cakes of a kind.

Ingredients:

Sweet potatoes, the remains of the black beans.

Caution: these beans have to be plain, without salt, onions or butter.

Formulary:

Mash the boiled potatoes to fine texture, add beans without soup and continue mashing. When satisfied with uniform texture of your dough without yeast, forward to the oven. Withdraw from oven when your cake turns crusty.

Archived