MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Powdered eggs, cheese, and butter

I am planning on purchasing these powdered items this year. Has anyone used the butter and how is it? Also I think I want whole powdered eggs. Are they like the eggs we get on airplanes? I think we would use them a lot(the eggs)that being the case, is it better to get large buckets or small buckets if you will be using them a lot. Thanks

pegsol--I used whole powdered eggs, I find that taste really good to my surprise and I am pickey. I ordered them from Walton Feed. It is just my husband and myself so I get the small cans. Once they are opened they only last so long.

Now if you are talking about the cheese in the can as real cheese it is good kinda tastes like gouda kinda. The canned butter red feathers the real stuff is beautiful yellow and I used it to cook and it was fine.

Quote:
The canned butter red feathers the real stuff is beautiful yellow and I used it to cook and it was fine.

How does it taste on something like toast?
Stacy

If you're talking about powdered cheddar cheese (like the kind that comes in mac and cheese boxes), it's pretty good. In a pinch I've mixed it up as a sauce and used it on baked potatoes. It's also really good sprinkled on popcorn. I haven't tried the powdered eggs even though I have several #10 cans in our storage. I know! I know! You're supposed to eat what you store and rotate. Do the eggs need any "doctoring" up before you eat them or do they pretty much taste like regular eggs? Like BiscuitMaker I can be kinda picky. I LOVE milk but I cannot stomach powdered milk. I can cook with it but the only way I can drink it is to add a little bit of vanilla pudding mix to give it some body and I normally drink 1%, so it's not that I'm going from whole fresh milk to powdered skim. I'm almost drinking skim now.

Another two thumbs up for the butter! The only ingredients in it are cream and salt. And it tastes great.

I have powdered whole eggs in #10 cans. I use them to bake with and make mayonnaise. Haven't tried them scrambled yet, but they last a year at room temp. opened, so I think we'll be able to use them up.

I passed on the powdered cheese. Instead I have powdered milk and rennet tablets. That way I can make my own cheese if need be. Too many additives in the cheese powder for me

Keiko

I use the powdered eggs regularly - in baking (can't tell ANY difference) and have tried them straight as scrambled - that my family could tell - they needed more cooking time to get as "dry" as I like scrambled eggs, and they had a different taste - not good or bad - just different. So another time I scrambled them w/a little bacon grease and bacon bits - pretty darn tasty - kids and DH gobbled them up. I have also mixed them 1/2 and 1/2 with fresh eggs - no one could tell the difference.

Powdered cheese tastes exactly like the orange Kraft mac and cheese sauce - OK in casseroles - I find it a little stronger taste than when I use regular shredded cheddar - and the consistency is drier.

I have only used powdered butter in dry mixes (pancake, muffin - from the Make-A-Mix cookbook, they have an updated version called "Mix-A-Meal" that has lots of ideas for dehydrated milk/eggs/ butter/margarine/shortening - it's by Deanna Bean and Lorna Shute.

Archived