MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Desperate-Can You Help?

waiting

My brother has had a cold since Nov. and coughing up dark stuff. He went to the hospital and they checked to see if he had pneumonia and he doesn't. He's taking meds but nothing is working. He says he has coughed so much his chest hurts.

What ever he uses will need to be something that won't affect his heart as he is on a heart transplant list. Any ideas what he could do? Thanks for any input.

I, for one, would be hesitant to suggest anything with such a great heart issue. I'm thinking a second opinion is in order. With his immune system in such a state, taking the immunosuppressive drugs they will give him after the transplant could be lethal. Has he talked to his cardiologist? I would think something like this could interefere with his ability to have a transplant.

Did he quit smoking in Oct/Nov?

Mo7

I would also hesitate to suggest something herbal in this case but I could suggest that he stay hydrated to keep the phlegm loose and that he be very cautious to keep up his nutrition. Fresh juice might be helpful for extra nutrition but would of course depend on his diet. Steam, perhaps with the addition of eucalyptus or mint (menthol) would also be helpful and would most likely not cause him adverse problems. The more moist he can make the mucous the easier it will be to get it out. Warm (not hot) compresses on his chest might help. These could be wet with an herbal mixture.

I'm sure all of us here will be keeping him our thoughts and wishing him the very best.

My mother in law had a heart transplant in 2002. Her cardiologist suggested that she can use Airborne for things. Have him check with his cardiologist to make sure, but this does help build the immune system! I will ask her of any other suggestions and get back to you!

I have Asthma, and my Dr suggested I use Mucinex to help loosen the mucus. It has helped me a lot when I get a cough. If he's still coughing up stuff for so long, I would suggest going to a different Dr for a second opinion. My son had a cough for months, and we finally figured out it was a sinus infection. So the symptoms don't always match the disease. With such a serious heart condition he really should be seen by someone else.

I just spoke with my mil. She said she didn't have sickness like that before her heart transplant. She did say though that now the Dr.'s will not let her take anything except the Airborne. If she gets colds now she has to get an antibiotic....the Z-Pack. I would have him talk to his cardiologist. Her cardiologist is the one that will monitor and prescribed things for her. That is the safest way....but I do think he needs something to help him. So a second opinion is good advice!

Edited to add: My dh is also limited on what over the counter stuff he can take. His Dr. has okayed Musinex, Cold-Eze, Airborne, and Robitussin Cough (not the DM). Again....have him check with the Cardiologist! Hope these things help!

He did change Drs. but nothing is helping. I, too, am wondering if there is another cause besides a cold. That's a long time to be coughing up stuff. I've heard of Mucinex and Air-borne and some of the other things suggested. Don't know if he has tried any of it, though. Passing the information along. Thank you all so much.

If anyone is going to Orlando, Fl. be careful. This is where he was visiting and then he came home and all of this started. Don't know if he picked up a bug there or there is something else happening. Maybe a bug that turned into another problem????? Anyhow, he sure wants to get well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I missed Vic303 and Momo's questions about an update.

He did change doctors, again. Now they say he has pneumonia and is

taking antibiotics. Wonder why they didn't catch that before. He was checked and they said it wasn't pneumonia. Thanksgiving until now......long time.

Archived