MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

facial cleansers, moisturizers

CarolynWorl

i hope this is the right place to post this. i had ordered organic facial care products and make up online, but it's just too expensive for me to keep up with...however! my face never looked better!!!

does anyone have ideas for an all natural facial cleanser for an acne-prone, dry in winter, greasy in summer face? i'm also looking for a moisturizer. something for the dryness in the winter and something very light for summer.

thanks in advance.

There are several great nautral cleansers and moisturizers in the grocery store isles.

Honey is wonderful for a facial and is great for acne and other skin problems. It works on all skin types so is good for all areas even if they differ in composition or from season to season. Just make sure the face is clean (gently washing with water is fine if there is no makeup, otherwise remove the makeup first) then smooth the honey on very gently. Do not rub hard as that will injure delicate skin. Pat the honey with your finger tips all over your face until it's very sticky feeling or until you can't stand being sticky any longer. (ten minutes is not too long) Gently rinse the honey off with tepid (not hot) water and pat the skin dry with a soft towel. Honey has an anti-bacterial action on the skin and is nutritive and soothing. I hate being sticky but this is one of my favorite facials.

Yogurt makes a good facial also. It can be mixed with different fruits to be even more beneficial. Using baby food or pureed peaches works well for rough skin. Berries are astringent. Mixing it with oat flour is also helpful as a defolient. You can mix honey in this if you want. Both honey and Yogurt are soothing and healing and leave the skin feeling softer.

Gently rubbing the face with the inside of a banana peel is also healing and moisturizing.

Witch Hazel makes a good astringent for the face but can be a bit harsh to some skins. Apple cider vinegar helps to restore the pH balance if you use soap on your skin.

There are many herbs that can be used on the face but that's another whole post or ten.

mother...that helped a lot! how often should the honey and/or yogurt facials be done? are these daily things?

recently someone was trying to get me to get into buying a certain line of products; home, healthy and cosmetics. at the same time another friend was trying to get me to get into buying and selling a big named cosmetic line. one claimed to be more "natural" than the other...the make up lines...and so i decided to do some investigation of my own and compare the ingredients of each line of products. i found that the more natural line of home, health and beauty products, while they were better than some store bought products, they weren't the best for you. the cosmetic line was the same except they added some vitamins and minerals.

over all i did learn that a lot of home cleaning products can be harmful and have since switched to vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, etc. i really got scared when i investigated the make up! it's liquid plastic!!! that's when i started buying the organic make up. right now, i'm just wearing any, trying to get my face to stop breaking out (i'm almost 30) and get it under control. i do plan on looking into another line of cosmetics that i can get closer and not have to order from canada.

anyways! long ramble ...sorry! lol just sharing i guess.

Quote:
mother...that helped a lot! how often should the honey and/or yogurt facials be done? are these daily things?

Hey carolyn. I do the honey facial about once a week. Makes your face feel incredibly smooth when you wash it off.
Stacy

I live in co, which is extremely dry in the winter, my nose starts to peel. I use olive oil, it's not too heavy and it really makes a huge difference.

I no longer wear make up at all. Trying to educate DD's abuot the harmful effects as well.

Mo7

Mommyof7 is right. Most cosmetics are toxic to the skin. Even the word natural is NOT natural, it only means derrived from nature, not HOW it's derived and besides that, if you read the Governments rules on the labeling, they can also put "along with other ingredients" in tiny print.

The one thing I've hounded on for years is........If you won't eat it, don't put it on your skin. Skin is one of the best organs for absorbtion there is. Another thing that is important is to make your skin healthy and therefore beautiful from the inside out. Look to your diet and your lifestyle and living area. Also, define your idea of beautiful. Don't pay attention to the ads that only want your money. Look in the mirror and ask yourself WHO you are and do you need to hide who you are?

Now, that said, tell us what you normally wear for makeup and lets see if we can find a way for you to make your own. Yup, make your own. It's possible to make lotions, salves, natural powders and lip glosses at least. If you are trying to use base and coverups for the acne that might be a bit harder but it might be possible. What is the LEAST you feel you would need? We need a challenge so bring it on. We'll all learn from it.

As for the usage of honey,(or any of the other facials) it won't hurt to use it daily or even twice daily. I keep a bottle of honey on the tub and use it every time I shower. I do it just beforehand so that when I feel really sticky, I can just jump in and shower it off.

http://organicmakeup.ca/ this is the make up i did us. i don't care for the foundation, it's too gritty.

right now i'm not using anything. i don't buy into the look beautiful by flawlessness stuff...no worries there. i feel that it's important to stay true to myself, i just don't like the look of me with acne. i have heard that saying before "what you wouldn't eat, don't put it on your face" and i've heard of using olive oil, i was just worried about it being TOO much. is there a certain kind? can i just use what i have to cook with? i've heard of cold pressed, but i don't know what that means or if it's necessary.

ok, i think that's all the questions for now.

thanks for the all the help.

oh, i would like ideas on lip gloss...colored, non-gritty lip gloss. i use fabulous chap stick, olive oil based, but i'd love something with a little color for when i sing.

oh and right now all i really wear is mascara.

Somehow I figured you would not be real worried about your looks. Your picture shows you wonderfully smiling and in my opinion very pretty.

You are welcome. I don't feel the need to wear any makeup now either. Just lip gloss and that more for softening my lips, certainly not for looks

Yes, and let me clarify on the olive oil...

I only use it on my face in the winter, I have found it is a bit heavy in the summer. Without the heat on, I can easily keep moisture in my skin, even here in the high desert. If I"ve been sick and my skin is REALLY dry, then I will use it but usually only once and then my body's own balance is right again as I recover from being sick. I do use it all year long after I shave my legs and on my arms.

And yes, I literally use what I cook with. I usually buy the best that I can afford, but that varies from month to month LOL. Sometimes it's organic, sometimes it's not. But I'd eat it, so I can put it on my face.

If you're having a lot of acne problems, consider doing a liver cleanse. The skin is used to get rid of impurities, so we can end up with acne if we have too many toxins in our system or our liver isn't functioning right. Usually near the end of pregnancy I start seeing a lot of these types of issues, cause I can't do a cleanse and I have the baby's "stuff" to filter as well. I try to do a good cleanse after baby is weaned.

I"ve had this link saved for years http://www.makeyourcosmetics.com/recipes/index.asp?cat=mommy but I've not yet made many of the recipes there. Several of them call for lanolin which can be an allergen so be careful there. And, of course, you wouldn't eat lanolin LOL. This one http://www.makeyourcosmetics.com/recipes/v...&cat=facial is a lip balm with some color to it and you can reinfuse with fresh ingredients to get a deeper red.

Sorry for the links not being links.

Mo7

Interesting site Mo7. Some of the recipes are similar to what I make but some are pretty involved and might be a bit geared towards selling their products. Still, It'd be great to take some of their recipes and adapt them to make them more simple.

I have made this and used it I really like it and its dirt cheap to make from the dollar store

1 bottle of baby lotion 16 oz size

1 jar of dalcon vitamin E cream 16 oz size

1 jar of vaseline 16 oz size

mix all together in a metal bowl with hand mixer and put in plastic storage containers.

the first time I made this, did as recipe says too because my skin really needed it, but now I use just half a jar of vaseline to the l6oz of the other two bottles it really helps with dry cracked hands and feet, leave the skin soft for a long time. I won't buy other body lotions any more.

Quote:
I have made this and used it I really like it and its dirt cheap to make from the dollar store

1 bottle of baby lotion 16 oz size
1 jar of dalcon vitamin E cream 16 oz size
1 jar of vaseline 16 oz size

mix all together in a metal bowl with hand mixer and put in plastic storage containers.

the first time I made this, did as recipe says too because my skin really needed it, but now I use just half a jar of vaseline to the l6oz of the other two bottles it really helps with dry cracked hands and feet, leave the skin soft for a long time. I won't buy other body lotions any more.

I did this recipe, only I used shea butter instead of e cream. I made it for CHRISTmas pressies and didn't find the recipe til just a couple weeks before CHRISTmas. Being crunched for time, I just sprung for the shea and I LOVE the stuff!!! Rave reviews from others as well.

Theres a book called :Natural Body Basics (Making Your Own Cosmetics) By Dorie Byers.: It's really help me out a lot!

It has Nail care, Foot care, Face care, lip care, Face masks, etc. All of it is home made by you!

I lost mine so I cant help other then that.

I hope you find what you need!

• 1 month later...
Quote:
If you won't eat it, don't put it on your skin.
That's my belief as well. Going organic can be more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

As for the lip gloss, not sure I'd want crayon on my lips, but it's certainly one way to get color. smile

Castor oil with 2% Candelilla wax makes a pretty thick solution. You might also up the wax to 5% and use a nourishing oil such as Jojoba. I would still go with a wand or pot, as rollers are subject to temperature and may not decide to "roll" that day. You can add FDA approved mica pigments for color.

Shea butter is great, but it does contain latex, which some folks are allergic to and it can be irritating to the face, even if you're not allergic to latex. Ask me how I know. wink

I would not recommend using Vaseline or baby lotion -- check the ingredient lists. There are most likely lots of ingredients you wouldn't considering eating, so it probably shouldn't go on the body.

Archived